IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

10 hours ago, GoldenGraham said:

What was your thinking behind the change in bootloader and firmware, if you don't mind me asking @SainT ?

I'm also curious to know... do our SD/GD carts have no CD support whatsoever right now?  Or do they currently have your 'unfinished' CD support which doesn't support all CD titles?

Thanks.

The change was to allow me a combination of flexibility and security in the way I produce the devices. It had become very apparent I had more than I could deal with in terms of workload, so I had to figure out some way to reduce this. Hence all my waffling about outsourcing, optimising production and moving to using retailers for sales. :)

The CD support as such is via a custom version of the JagCD BIOS ROM which isn't publicly available. I'll be getting back to working on that before too long.

• Like 6

How cool that this is going on. I was swept up in a few other things and didn't follow quite as usual. Great news for everyone. Really exciting news, now it is interesting to see if there are enought to go around from the initial order. Just checked my number in line and it is 51, based in Europe, fingers crossed. :D

On 5/24/2020 at 9:08 AM, SainT said:

The plan is to make enough stock so there isnt any waiting and making the whole "list" stuff redundant. I'm just about there with the NGP on that front (slight delay in shipping thanks to mr. COVID), and aim to keep it up. Now (going forward after this last lot of JagGD's anyway) sales are being handled externally it gives me WAAAY more time to do other things. One of those thigns is to make a decent volume of stock... :)

Well I for one really hope the plan works out. I am still incredibly excited about this release! Good luck with all the logistics!

Thank you SainT - It arrived today and tried out the bad apple demo, tempest 2k and doom :)

Am now looking forward to trying out the st ports/reboot/native at the weekend.

Now keeping my fingers crossed for the future CD support, not in any rush with the Lynx & NeoGeo Pocket sd cart game drives :)

I can't recommend this high enough, it's also a much better shape that atari carts ;)

• Like 1

Just wanted to say iv received mine and WOW! Easy to setup and simple to use, I can't see anyone being disappointed with this product. I'm finally playing some great games that I haven't been had chance to before. 

Thanks very much @SainT and all the best with all your other products.

• Like 1

Hi @SainT

Got my cart today, many thanks! it's pretty amazing to be fair :) had some minor niggles with the OSSC not liking the firmware update screen, but got it into a CRT, downloaded the firmware and it was smooth sailing form there.

I've been able to play some games i've been dying to play since owning my Jag from waaaay back in the day when I bought it.

you've given me an excuse to finally recap it now too, so thank you SainT your work is truly appreciate and I look forward to enjoying it for years to come :)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rave said:

Hi @SainT

Got my cart today, many thanks! it's pretty amazing to be fair :) had some minor niggles with the OSSC not liking the firmware update screen, but got it into a CRT, downloaded the firmware and it was smooth sailing form there.

I've been able to play some games i've been dying to play since owning my Jag from waaaay back in the day when I bought it.

you've given me an excuse to finally recap it now too, so thank you SainT your work is truly appreciate and I look forward to enjoying it for years to come :)

I've found in general the OSSC isn't too happy with the Jaguar. The next firmware update will include chequerboard test pattern for calibrating the OSSC, which helps a bit.

The menu and firmware update type screens are in a higher resolution than your normal Jaguar games.

14 minutes ago, SainT said:

I've found in general the OSSC isn't too happy with the Jaguar. The next firmware update will include chequerboard test pattern for calibrating the OSSC, which helps a bit.

The menu and firmware update type screens are in a higher resolution than your normal Jaguar games.

The only issues I had really noticed with the OSSC is that you can see the normally off screen foreground on Primal Rage.  They apparently draw the entire thing in screen memory and just pan it around.  On a widescreen display it looks funky.

10 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Good compatibility with the OSSC is a must for me as I use that for all my retro systems including Jaguar.

The Jaguar itself is the compatibility issue, not the cart. I've heard its worse with the latest (which I have) firmware, in comparison with earlier.

However, that said, setup proper profiles and it works better. This is also with sync using the composite video, I've not tried with the csync output on the edge connector. This *may* be better.

I'm not sure if the OSSC is having an issue with the PAL sync?

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Good compatibility with the OSSC is a must for me as I use that for all my retro systems including Jaguar.

Curious about which games people have been having issues with.

Though for what it is worth, I bought a second Jag SCART cable as people were saying that some may cause the OSSC to fry... but it didn't work at all, yet my other one keeps working fine...

But I have most games to test with, since I don't have the JagGD yet...

Just UK so far. I’m working on new test hardware (pcb’s finally arrived) for programming the JagGD, once that’s up to speed I’ll do another run of carts. I’ll figure out what’s next when I’ve made more.

Mine landed. Working fine, really easy to use. Sadly the reset switch I added to the Jag doesn't do what I hoped, in that it reboots the current cart loaded back to the jag screen rather than resets back to the menu. Which is a shame, but no biggy. Was just hoping to save some wear on the old power button.

49 minutes ago, juansolo said:

Mine landed. Working fine, really easy to use. Sadly the reset switch I added to the Jag doesn't do what I hoped, in that it reboots the current cart loaded back to the jag screen rather than resets back to the menu. Which is a shame, but no biggy. Was just hoping to save some wear on the old power button.

Oh, that's interesting. I probably don't monitor the reset line as an input as I largely use it as an output on the cart to reset the Jaguar from there.

I can check for it being reset externally though and revert back to the menu. I'll give that a look.

• Like 1

I received the GD and it works a treat- thanks Saint! The OSSC is a little temperamental with the Jag (with or without the GD), but does work. I played Atari Karts for the first time today :-)

Is there a zip of all the marquee files anywhere, as it would be nice to see the game graphics in the menu?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pinballs said:

I received the GD and it works a treat- thanks Saint! The OSSC is a little temperamental with the Jag (with or without the GD), but does work. I played Atari Karts for the first time today ?

Is there a zip of all the marquee files anywhere, as it would be nice to see the game graphics in the menu?

:)