IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

8 minutes ago, JagChris said:

This still isn't ready yet? My God this is slower than the second coming

The Jag GD has been ready for awhile.  SainT posted several times that real life work took up his time for several weeks.  However, he shipped a number of them months ago within the UK and Europe from his pre-order list.  He's been churning out Lynx GD carts.  I believe he's starting up with Jag GD next, for which he may well need close to 1,000 to satisfy the masses as 2 months ago the AA wait list had 800 names on it.

7 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

@zezba9000 the preorder list is on https://www.retrohq.co.uk/account/orders/.  there's not going to be an order on AA because Al has not taken any yet.  just has a listing of the names/emails of those who indicated interest.  we've probably got a month or two before SainT has built enough stock to fulfill the AA Jag list.

Aww ic, guess I'm 424 currently.

7 hours ago, JagChris said:

This still isn't ready yet? My God this is slower than the second coming

I know! Waiting is so damn hard as well! Oh, wait, no, hang on... ?

And in short (for those who don't follow this lengthy thread), it's been ready for some time, the delay has been getting everything geared up for proper production due to lots of other things going on, it just being myself doing everything, generally sketchy health for about the last 5-6 years, having other paid work, children, etc...

When you set yourself this much to do, waiting is remarkably easy! ? Conversely, finding the time to do everything you have on is remarkably difficult. Throw in feeling like bollocks 80% of the time and it turns into a monumental task. But either way, everything is moving forwards and I'm establishing good relationships with retailers / resellers to take a chunk of the work off by shoulders.

• Like 15

1 minute ago, CyranoJ said:

Fixed that for you :)

Ha, it'd be interesting to actually try to corner one of the Jaguar developers and ask them what the whole purpose was for the 68k to be there in the first place.  I'd read it was basically for booting and reading the joysticks.  But someone had to have thought that it'd make it easier to port games to it that relied on the 68k.  Had they had a cyborg like yourself to crank out all the ST ports, they could have sold several 'classics collections' of them on cart or CD.  I mean even if they just hacked in Analog support for ST Star Raiders and bundled that with an Analog controller (before they ditched the analog chip) it would have maybe scrounged up a few more sales.

Ah, hindsight.  Granted, they also could have probably just thrown in a 68010/20 if they were going to do that and had some direct arcade ports from the games that used those.  (Gauntlet!)

42 minutes ago, leech said:

Ha, it'd be interesting to actually try to corner one of the Jaguar developers and ask them what the whole purpose was for the 68k to be there in the first place.  I'd read it was basically for booting and reading the joysticks.  But someone had to have thought that it'd make it easier to port games to it that relied on the 68k.  Had they had a cyborg like yourself to crank out all the ST ports, they could have sold several 'classics collections' of them on cart or CD.  I mean even if they just hacked in Analog support for ST Star Raiders and bundled that with an Analog controller (before they ditched the analog chip) it would have maybe scrounged up a few more sales.

Ah, hindsight.  Granted, they also could have probably just thrown in a 68010/20 if they were going to do that and had some direct arcade ports from the games that used those.  (Gauntlet!)

I get so sick of hearing about it.

There are some phenomenally coded shit games, and some shit coded phenomenal games.  Just play the damn thing and measure the fun and stop chasing the unicorn farts.

(And, really, like 99.9999% of folks could tell if a really excellent game was well coded or not is an insane notion)

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

I get so sick of hearing about it.

There are some phenomenally coded shit games, and some shit coded phenomenal games.  Just play the damn thing and measure the fun and stop chasing the unicorn farts.

(And, really, like 99.9999% of folks could tell if a really excellent game was well coded or not is an insane notion)

That's so true (about shit code).  A good example would be someone like Apple, who makes 'pretty' things, but I bet underneath it's just as ugly as anyone else's stuff.  Though there is a certain point where as a user you can tell that something just needed to have some patching done for it to actually be a usable game (based on comments of others, Checkered Flag falls into this category, I don't know, I haven't actually sat down to play it.).  But for sure, there is the 'I'm a bad ass mega coder, and my farts smell like expensive perfume, and I'm making this thing that I know the Jag was capable of, but we never got to see!'  Then decades later, 'where is the awesome, bro?' :P  That's why I'm 100% patient for getting the JagGD.  After all, I've been spending my time with the 286 based Atari PC4... It's being a right bastard to me... but that's for other posts ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, leech said:

Not a chance that would have worked. ? 

On 9/2/2020 at 2:56 AM, SainT said:

I know! Waiting is so damn hard as well! Oh, wait, no, hang on... ?

And in short (for those who don't follow this lengthy thread), it's been ready for some time, the delay has been getting everything geared up for proper production due to lots of other things going on, it just being myself doing everything, generally sketchy health for about the last 5-6 years, having other paid work, children, etc...

When you set yourself this much to do, waiting is remarkably easy! ? Conversely, finding the time to do everything you have on is remarkably difficult. Throw in feeling like bollocks 80% of the time and it turns into a monumental task. But either way, everything is moving forwards and I'm establishing good relationships with retailers / resellers to take a chunk of the work off by shoulders.

I just want to state again that of all the 'retro hombrew hardware' people I have purchased from in the past you have provided the best customer support for your product. Take your time and take care of yourself, this is just a hobby for all of us, we are anxiously awaiting it but nothing is more important than keeping ones health happiness at a high.

Edited by GuruGuy
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

WooHoo!!!

I just got an email from RetroHQ saying my pre-order is ready and about to be billed. 

@SainT and @Albert - I am in the US and also on the AA preorder list - does this matter?  I guess international shipping should almost be back to normal by now anyway.

Dangit, and @mattsoft beat me to posting while I was typing this!

• Like 1

I am part of the lucky ones getting onto this next batch. (I was 35th in line and live on the other side of the lake in case this is of interest) Obviously I am ecstatic so thank you to @SainT for the relentless work to get to that point! One worry though concerns payment... I can't quite recall all the details but I am fairly certain I was *not* charged for this order via PayPal despite putting in the info. My PayPal and physical address has not changed but will the payment still go through without my having to lift a finger? Will I receive a PayPal invoice? The notice email is not entirely clear on how that will work other than "We will be taking payment for your order in the next 24 hours." I'd hate to miss that kind of window after 14 months if it turns out I do have to do something to make it happen... What happens to peoples that did move or change their PayPal? (not me but I figure this might be of interest to some)

Perhaps I worry too much!

Edited by KraZ
math wrong