IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

32 minutes ago, BeefMan said:

@SainT

Any possibility of releasing a beta firmware to test out Jag CD support, even if it’s not fully baked yet? Or support for BattleSphere or JagLink?

I know you’re probably slammed building these, just really looking forward to new features.

Why wouldn't the Jaglink or Battlesphere work?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, leech said:

Why wouldn't the Jaglink or Battlesphere work?

JagLink doesn't work (quite clearly stated in all descriptions) -- the UART is used on the cart.

A slight oversight, something I'll eventually remedy, but it will require a hardware change. ?

41 minutes ago, SainT said:

JagLink doesn't work (quite clearly stated in all descriptions) -- the UART is used on the cart.

A slight oversight, something I'll eventually remedy, but it will require a hardware change. ?

Ah, ha, I had split attention earlier and thought it was the team tap that he meant! 

Never did get Nything to work right with the JagLink, but then only used it with Doom.

6 minutes ago, CyranoJ said:

There never fails to be someone who can't use google or do any research who will click buy.

Why research when you can pay 3.25x not to?  Is that the standard .ultiplier for something like this?  I mean I found a Dark Chambers for the A8 for 600 on eBay, and they are available for 100 new... so a 3-6 modifier?  Granted I think the Dark Chambers one said RARE!  Which of course is an Insta-double modifier, so clearly 6x is correct.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

There never fails to be someone who can't use google or do any research who will click buy.

That will probably be me, because I always fail to understand how to buy these things the official way. Now I checked Dragon box, and it says out of stock. I also registered on the Atari Age waiting list ages ago...

3 minutes ago, phoboz said:

That will probably be me, because I always fail to understand how to buy these things the official way. Now I checked Dragon box, and it says out of stock. I also registered on the Atari Age waiting list ages ago...

So should I offer you mine for $649.98 USD + shipping?  You might get it by April if I mail it today, LOL :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, CyranoJ said:

So should I offer you mine for $649.98 USD + shipping?  You might get it by April if I mail it today, LOL :)

Ha, this reminds me.  There have been a ton of people that have had to pay 90+ VAT(I think that is the right term) for the VCS being shipped to them in the UK, and it is taking a long time to get there.  Apparently UPS had a ton of them all held up and Atari had to ask UPS to move their butts.

13 hours ago, SainT said:

So are you planning to develop a new version of the JaguarGD to do this in the future? I'm guessing no chance of a physical upgrade for existing ones right?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AltRN8 said:

So are you planning to develop a new version of the JaguarGD to do this in the future? I'm guessing no chance of a physical upgrade for existing ones right?

I'm really not sure. It's a possibility, but then again so are dozens of other things. I think in reality the hardware as it is will cover the uses for 95% of people. The JagLink in itself is VERY flaky (I'm aware of this having made use of the Jaguar UART, it's absolutely screwed), so it really doesn't add much being able to use it.

And there is no way to "upgrade" from a hardware standpoint. It would require a fair bit of working around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The internal UARTI signal is connected directly to the expansion port, but is connected to cart pin B30 thru a 1k resistor. So in theory, if the device connected to the expansion port has strong enough output drivers, it should override the JagGD's signal.

Maybe it could be possible to make "buffered" JagLink adapters for people who already bought a JagGD. (They'd have to hotplug it after launching the game, if the GameGD needs UART comms to run the menu.)

• Like 1

After trying it a bit, I'm loving it!

It's on the feature request thread from bringing it up before, but only minor annoyance is hot-swapping to spinner controller when playing Tempest. The numpad lets you jump by page, and has unused buttons, seems two buttons could make it go up/down one item at a time as well, which would solve it. Support for the actual spinner would be neat but totally unnecessary with that on the numpad. Also, allowing controller 2 to control the menu would at least make loading single player spinner games easier, but I think numpad would be the fastest fix, and would work for 2 player.

In any case, that's a minor quibble for something this awesome I've waited so long for! I'm gonna start testing more stuff! Not at all disappointed.

Thanks for another great product SainT!

• Like 1

Sorry for triple comments, but after trying it a bit, only Tempest so far has presented this problem as the other games that support rotary or mouse have you use them on port 2, which as far as I know are all ST ports. Easy enough to just pop in the Tempest cart too. I'd still call it a feature request, but just because Tempest is a big title for the Jag. It works on port 1 with Rebooteroids I believe, but as far as I know, that's only been offered on a physical cartridge. The ST port of Star Wars Arcade is great with a mouse btw!

Loving this cart! I'll be quiet for a bit now!

Edited by Hastor