IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

22 hours ago, Hastor said:

Now we just need a controller with an LED touch-screen in place of the overlay, so the cart can tell it which game it is running and the actions will appear on the right numeric pad button! Ok, probably a bit out of scope for Jag projects.... :)

Ha, outside of it doing it automatically.... it might be possible to pull off getting a touch screen to display an overlay.  Very interesting idea.

12 minutes ago, leech said:

Will it play this Jaguar game?

It is a shame that game was never finished.  Assuming the Jag could have handled the concept of it, it could have been epic!

I would really like to try this one out. It looks very impressive, it kind of reminds me of Shenmue on the Dreamcast, but with guns instead of Karate.

(and a more cyberpunk atmosphere)

Although it's hard to tell from the video what the gameplay is like, e.g. what you are supposed to do?

I guess there are some missions for you to complete?

37 minutes ago, fille1976 said:

Hope cd games will be possible,that i can put my jag cd instorag.

Yes there is a person who actually managed to pull off CD- (or even GD-) ROM emulation for the SEGA Dreamcast.

It is amazing, you could simply connect an USB hard-drive (with all your GD ROM dumps on, because these are big), and play all SEGA Dreamcast games.

http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/dreamcast-usb-gdrom-ode-board/

I think there is also an option to do the same for 3DO:

http://8bitplus.co.uk/your-consoles/usb-host-controller-fz-10/

Such a device would be a game changer in the Jag community, as the Jaguar CD ROM add-on is very hard to find at an affordable price.

Also I understood that these CD ROMs have very poor reliability, so I haven't bothered to look for one...

Edited by phoboz

Just now, fille1976 said:

i have a jag cd in excellent condition,new laser-recapped,it reads cd fine,but if cd's also gona work i can put it away.

Yes, because all optical devices, will fail sooner or later, and they are expensive to maintain.

So I think that the person who made these optical drive emulators did a very good job.

Just now, phoboz said:

Yes, because all optical devices, will fail sooner or later, and they are expensive to maintain.

So I think that the person who made these optical drive emulators did a very good job.

To me this would really be a game changer, because you might as well use the old and very reliable Skunk-board to play cartridge games.

Yeah optical drive emulators are becoming big. I have a MODE in my Dreamcast and one in my Saturn, running of SSD drives, an Xstation in my Playstation for SD cards, and the PSIO which plugs in the back of The playstation rather than replacing the drive, but less compatible than the Xstation. I also have the MegaSD which simulates a Sega CD in a Genesis cartridge, as does the Everdrive Pro which I don't have. I want to get the one for my 3DO FZ-10, always been a little confused about how to acquire one.

This will be a great addition to that family and allow games to be played on real hardware long after all the mechanical drives have died.

• Like 1

I hope it will be possible to realize this using the same hardware (for those who already bought the game drive), but I personally have my doubts...

Because CD-ROM emulation will not just happen because a SD-card can fit all the data of a CD game. It's a completely different task to emulate a block device (a CD-ROM), compared to emulating a random access memory device (like a Cartridge). Because I seriosly doubt that the Jaguar CD-ROM will appear to the Jaguar just like a big Cartridge.

A CD-ROM requires a much more complex interface, with commands to move the head to a certain sector, and to read, and cache data blocks. All of these datablocks must end up on the excact same physical location as they were located in the original game. Otherwise the game will go and look for the data in the wrong place, and read something else, which will certaily lead to a game crash quite soon.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phoboz said:

I hope it will be possible to realize this using the same hardware (for those who already bought the game drive), but I personally have my doubts...

Just look back in the thread. It's been working to some degree (for SainT, not any released firmware) since the drive came out. Recently he's gotten a lot of CD games working and expects a firmware update for CD support at some point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hastor said:

Just look back in the thread. It's been working to some degree (for SainT, not any released firmware) since the drive came out. Recently he's gotten a lot of CD games working and expects a firmware update for CD support at some point.

Great I am just as euntsiastic as you. Althought making such promise (that a firmware update will fix this) so early in the deveopment is quite brave. Let's hope it works out, because as mentioned, optical drive emulation for the Jaguar will be a game changer. For now it does what the SkunkBoard already does very well. So I will be following the news for this very closely... I think that the Jag community really deserves this for beeing so patient and and optimistic. I salute you...

1 hour ago, phoboz said:

Great I am just as euntsiastic as you. Althought making such promise (that a firmware update will fix this) so early in the deveopment is quite brave. Let's hope it works out, because as mentioned, optical drive emulation for the Jaguar will be a game changer. For now it does what the SkunkBoard already does very well. So I will be following the news for this very closely... I think that the Jag community really deserves this for beeing so patient and and optimistic. I salute you...

At absolutely no point ever did I promise this would happen, quite to the contrary I specifically said I would not promise or guarantee this functionality would ever happen. I just said I'd do my best to make it happen and that it looked feasible.

While this point is largely moot now as I have a lot of CD games working, it still irritates me that people say this functionality has been promised.

CD support has never and will never be guaranteed or promised to be released in any form in any time-frame ever regardless of how I may have been misquoted or my words misconstrued or misinterpreted by others in the past.

That said, I hope to have it out in the next week or so in beta form. This is NOT a promise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to insinuate that it was promised, just that based on your posts of working games, it doesn't seem unfeasible on current hardware, or that it is super early in development (you first had the cd games doing 'something' before the first early batch long ago). It just seems rather likely at this point, but never considered it a guarantee.

I'd still buy an upgrade if it was needed for all games to work.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SainT said:

At absolutely no point ever did I promise this would happen, quite to the contrary I specifically said I would not promise or guarantee this functionality would ever happen. I just said I'd do my best to make it happen and that it looked feasible.

Nice to have that clearified, still hope you make it though :) 

On 4/2/2021 at 12:59 PM, phoboz said:

Such a device would be a game changer in the Jag community, as the Jaguar CD ROM add-on is very hard to find at an affordable price.

Also I understood that these CD ROMs have very poor reliability, so I haven't bothered to look for one...

Why exactly is that?

The Jag CD games are not exactly a bunch to die for:

Baldies : exclusive but boring ----EDIT: available on PS1, Amiga, MS-DOS etc.. JagCD was the first version

Battlemorph : cybermorph ++ (I can see the appeal)

Blue Lightning : ugh (tech demo more than a real game imho)

Brain Dead 13 : ugh (MS-DOS, PS1, 3DO, CDi versions available if you really really have to)

Dragon's Lair : ugh (better versions all around, Wii Dragon's Lair Trilogy for example)
Highlander : c'mon now
Hover Strike UL : I can see some appeal
Iron Soldier 2: exists also as cart without in game music but ok
Myst : MS-DOS please or anything really
Primal Rage : it's not a great game to begin with and it's everywhere
Space Ace : ugh (better versions all around, Wii Dragon's Lair Trilogy for example)

Vid Grid : tech demo more than a real game imho, I loaded it exactly once

WTR : not too bad

So we have maybe 5 titles really worth looking at ... how's supporting Jag-CD a gamechanger? 
It's not as bad as the 32X-CD games (all 6 of them) but it's not game-changing or maybe it is as you really want to change game.

The game changer is the GameDrive itself, JagCD support is icing on the cake and a testament to SainT ingenuity and determination but there's really little about it beside "gotta have them all!".

And yes I have a JagCD and all JagCD games in backup format at that and if I had to pay lot more than the 25c per coaster on any of them I'd likely pass aside a subset of the 5 above (unclear really how much I'd pay for any of them singularly as none of them is really my cup of tea, maybe WTR).

Maybe there are devs that signed up to make/port games and support redbook audio, cut-scenes etc... but not really sure.

EDIT: it appears I forgot about Gorf .... well ... I liked the C64 version back in the day more than I care to admit, another JagCD backup I loaded exactly once.

• Like 1