IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

8 hours ago, bluejay said:

I’m not sure if you should be excited to touch it… it feels terrible ?

No but seriously, for $180, would it be too much to ask for a shell that doesn’t feel like sandpaper and a good quality label?

Are you kidding me?  The shell is the best quality 3D print I've ever seen.  Compare it to the shit that FDM printers produce.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bluejay said:

I’m not sure if you should be excited to touch it… it feels terrible ?

No but seriously, for $180, would it be too much to ask for a shell that doesn’t feel like sandpaper and a good quality label?

Ha, I actually like the feel of it, it is very unique.  Unless there are variations of the print?  Mine doesn't even look 3d printed, it is of a great build quality.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Are you kidding me?  The shell is the best quality 3D print I've ever seen.  Compare it to the shit that FDM printers produce.

I actually prefer the feel of fdm 3d printed stuff that whatever the gamedrive uses. Yeah, those obviously feel 3d printed, but the weird, somewhat soft, grainy texture of the gamedrive feels absolitely terrible. At least fdm 3d printed things aren't unpleasant to touch. 

But let's say that's because I don't know anything about 3d printed materials.  However, the label feels unmistakably, incredibly cheap. The surface almost feels adhesive, as if it were not coated. If $25 Chinese fake everdrive cartridges have coated labels, I don't see why the gamedrive doesn't. 

Apart from that, I love my gamedrive an really do appreciate the effort that SainT put into developing it. 

Edited by bluejay

15 minutes ago, bluejay said:

I actually prefer the feel of fdm 3d printed stuff that whatever the gamedrive uses. Yeah, those obviously feel 3d printed, but the weird, somewhat soft, grainy texture of the gamedrive feels absolitely terrible. At least fdm 3d printed things aren't unpleasant to touch. 

But let's say that's because I don't know anything about 3d printed materials.  However, the label feels unmistakably, incredibly cheap. The surface almost feels adhesive, as if it were not coated. If $25 Chinese fake everdrive cartridges have coated labels, I don't see why the gamedrive doesn't. 

Apart from that, I love my gamedrive an really do appreciate the effort that SainT put into developing it. 

Well, I can show you a few of my 3d printed carts I have received from people.  And I can tell you right now the JagGD is of the best quality.  One of my 8bit carts... I proabably will attempt to print my own shell, as a corner is pretty badly warped.  Not bad enough to make it not function, but terrible enough to annoy my brain...

About the label, what is the game being shown on it?  Looks fun!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hastor said:

SainT mentioned many posts back that it's something he put together from an asset pack.

Ha, well now I want it.  I actually was wondering not too long ago how good of a game you could make with the multitude of assets floating about.

I think it was Orion who sadly had that failed kickstarter, where he was going to release his tools for making platform games, and it has an export for Jaguar, where I was thinking it would be awesome to design a game with it. 

3 hours ago, bluejay said:

Feel free to design and produce your own case and label if it offends.

• Like 7

On 7/21/2021 at 3:54 PM, leech said:

Finally had a moment to use mine, plugged it in, and only got the RetroHQ screen, and was about to cry, then remembered it didn't work with the JagCD plugged in, so had to take that out, unplug the dual PSU that I bought at some point, and plugged in the giant brick for the Jaguar and it started on up

Now to find more than a moment to play some games!

OT:

Just curious: Why did you have to unplug the dual PSU when not using the CD? I also bought one of these slim, always cold PSUs for the Jag (on german ebay) which has a Y cable adapter with two connectors. When I put away the CD unit to use GD etc. I just pull out the second connector, that's it.

Before I bought this I had to use four big, loud and hot bricks here! Two Atari PSUs and two big converters 110V to 230V! ?

1 hour ago, TPAU65 said:

OT:

Just curious: Why did you have to unplug the dual PSU when not using the CD? I also bought one of these slim, always cold PSUs for the Jag (on german ebay) which has a Y cable adapter with two connectors. When I put away the CD unit to use GD etc. I just pull out the second connector, that's it.

Before I bought this I had to use four big, loud and hot bricks here! Two Atari PSUs and two big converters 110V to 230V! ?

Hmm, I probably didn't.   I think I bought one from the same company as the Jaguar one for the Genesis, Sega CD and 32x setup, and it specifically had a note with it that said not to use it with one of the three plugs just dangling, and to use some sort of tip if one wasn't plugged in, and juat figured the Jag brick was the same way.  Thought it was weird on the sega one, had it sitting around until I got the 32x on there.

2 minutes ago, SoundGammon said:

I got am e-mail from Albert telling me to go to the AtariAge store to order mine but all I can do is put it on a wish list! Bummer!

You'll get a second email from me today with details on how to purchase it (this is assuming you've sent a response to the first email you received).  In order to keep purchases to just those on the waiting list, I have to edit your account in the store so you can see a hidden Jaguar GameDrive entry that allows you to purchase one.

..Al

5 minutes ago, Albert said:

You'll get a second email from me today with details on how to purchase it (this is assuming you've sent a response to the first email you received).  In order to keep purchases to just those on the waiting list, I have to edit your account in the store so you can see a hidden Jaguar GameDrive entry that allows you to purchase one.

..Al

I didn't respond right away to the first e-mail.

@SainT - I just wanted to let you know, that after obtaining the proper ROMs, I have had zero issues with my cart loading / playing games.  I'm posting here rather than the other thread where it was brought up.  Having the MRQ files makes for a much better experience too.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Albert said:

Just finished preparing a large batch of Jaguar GameDrives for shipment tomorrow. 

JaguarGameDrives_2021-07-25.jpg

:)

..Al

Holy crap!  That is a lot of Jaguar owners.  Wonder what the ratio of "I have owned one for years, and this will make it easier to play the games I own" (like me) vs "I bought one bwcauae a flash drive is out" really is.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 9:57 AM, leech said:

Ha, I actually like the feel of it, it is very unique.  Unless there are variations of the print?  Mine doesn't even look 3d printed, it is of a great build quality.

Yes the case is quite nice for something that has not had a tens of thousands of dollars injection molded die set created for.   SLS printing (presumably what these cases are) is quite premium.

15 minutes ago, leech said:

Yeah, that is crazy.  For a 'failed' console, it sure is in high demand.

Never underestimate the power of hoarding and revolving glass display cases.   ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, remowilliams said:

Never underestimate the power of hoarding and revolving glass display cases.   ?

I don't think most of the GDs are going towards those who do that. In fact, I'm willing to bet that a lot of those who did have Jaguars just as a trophy are using the GD to put them to use. Or at least I surely hope that is what's happening.

Last week I was finally able to buy one on StoneAgeGamer without getting sniped like a PS5/XSX sale. I really just wanted that bitbox clamshell instead of a cardboard box.

After that and my NGPC Gamedrive order from a month ago arrives, the only flash drive they carry that I will need from them is Lynx Gamedrive, then I'll be onto ODEs.

Edited by TheGameCollector

The Jaguar SD finally arrived yesterday, albeit through SAG since I see pre-orders are insanely backed up at AA (though I'm still in line here.) Everything looks great! I rather like the finish on the cart personally and running software seems to work as it should. The only odd bit I found so far is that I couldn't get the QR code for the update URL to work with my mobile phone, not really an issue since the URL comes up by pressing option, but other than that I can finally play the Native demo and those great ST ports which didn't get cartridges on real metal. Maybe I'll try picking up some Jag CDs to see if I can get some of them going next.