IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

Sorry if I'm catching up and missed this;

But if you're using the Atmel and it can support USB devices as input... maybe keyboard and mouse for Robinson's Requiem? :)

I mean granted I could probably play the game on the Falcon, and there probably isn't a whole lot of difference, but some people just never learn that if you're going to do a computer to console port of a game.. just doing a straight on port using a mouse interface isn't usually the way to do it. Analog sticks do a better job than a gamepad, but still... ooh, maybe analog stick...

I'll go back to waiting for this delicious thing. Loving the LynxSD cards I got!

Granted, I'll say it is the best implementation I've seen for such a thing. And going from a mouse based interface to a gamepad is just always difficult. They did a good job. It doesn't really make up for the completely atrocious voice acting in it, but the game itself is excellent. Wish I had more time to play it. I also need to play more Skyhammer... At least with the JagSD cart, hopefully I can keep some of those things more pristine and not have to switch all the time.

*sigh* seeing how much nicer the Atari 8bit looks in S-video vs Composite, now I'm going to have to track down an S-video cable for my Jag.. it also stinks now that S-Video is getting rarer on A/V receivers and TVs.

But if you're using the Atmel and it can support USB devices as input... maybe keyboard and mouse for Robinson's Requiem? :)

The game would obviously need to be modified to allow this, so its unlikely.

It is possible to do USB on the go with this micro, but I think I remember reading you cant enumerate devices on a USB hub, so at best you could only support one USB device like this. Although you can get PS2 to USB keyboard and mouse converters which just use one USB connector and act as a compound device... so in theory you could do something which enabled keyboard and mouse support.

Yeah, I was thinking there'd need to be some sort of input mapping software in between for any of that to be useful. Still would have been cool if Atari had been able to be successful with both the Jag and Falcon, if they'd made a computer based on a combination of the two.

There's absolutely no way a new Atari computer would've been successful at that time. I believe this was recently discussed in another thread as well.

*sigh* seeing how much nicer the Atari 8bit looks in S-video vs Composite, now I'm going to have to track down an S-video cable for my Jag.. it also stinks now that S-Video is getting rarer on A/V receivers and TVs.

Be warned of two things you will notice if you go with s-video on the jaguar. At least this is what I observed when I ran mine through s-vid:

First is that it appears that the chroma out on the jaguar's multi AV out port is in fact just filtered composite. I say this because red's and purples or pretty much anything that has red hues to it, had an obvious checkerboard pattern on those colors and I really didn't like the way it looked.

Second issue was that several games make use of the CRT artifacting to produce fake transparencies. Pinball Fantasies is the first game that comes to mind that is affected quite a bit by this. The ramp on the left side of the playfield on Stones n Bones uses a white dithered affect on the ramp. On CRTs with composite, this will appear to have a nice transparent plastic ramp look as it should. But on s-vid, it looks like a cheese grater.. Anyway, the s-video on the jaguar simply didn't impress me nearly as much as it has with my other consoles so I went back to using composite output for it.

Sorry to take this off topic, but I saw mention of this and just wanted to give a heads up.

Be warned of two things you will notice if you go with s-video on the jaguar. At least this is what I observed when I ran mine through s-vid:

First is that it appears that the chroma out on the jaguar's multi AV out port is in fact just filtered composite. I say this because red's and purples or pretty much anything that has red hues to it, had an obvious checkerboard pattern on those colors and I really didn't like the way it looked.

Second issue was that several games make use of the CRT artifacting to produce fake transparencies. Pinball Fantasies is the first game that comes to mind that is affected quite a bit by this. The ramp on the left side of the playfield on Stones n Bones uses a white dithered affect on the ramp. On CRTs with composite, this will appear to have a nice transparent plastic ramp look as it should. But on s-vid, it looks like a cheese grater.. Anyway, the s-video on the jaguar simply didn't impress me nearly as much as it has with my other consoles so I went back to using composite output for it.

Sorry to take this off topic, but I saw mention of this and just wanted to give a heads up.

Yeah, sorry for going off topic as well, but thanks for the info! And now I have to check if I have Pinball Fantasies or not... I know I have Ruiner Pinball, and I'm thinking I always figured I have Pinball Fantasies on the Amiga.

Not that I have a CRT to connect it to, all my TVs have long since been LCD/LED. Though at least my main TV is still old enough to have S-Video, I haven't ever tried using it (the 8-bit was connected to a Dell that I bought for the STs.)

Back on Topic. I got the Lynx SD cartridges and damn, they are AWESOME, can't wait to get the Jag one. Silly me, I played the hell out of Power Drive Rally, and now the cartridge has to be in the slot just right for it to work.

It's not, the video encoder in the Jaguar produces proper S-video. If you're getting noticeable dot crawl in S-video mode, you're probably using a cheap video cable with poor or no shielding between the luma and chroma signals. With a good quality cable it doesn't happen.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 2

It's not, the video encoder in the Jaguar produces proper S-video. If you're getting noticeable dot crawl in S-video mode, you're probably using a cheap video cable with poor or no shielding between the luma and chroma signals. With a good quality cable it doesn't happen.

It is worth noting that I only saw this when I used s-video connected up to my LED, and I don't recall that I saw this same pattern on my little PVM I use for shop work. I also notice it from the TurboDUO as well, but that is because the normal s-video for the PCE is to use a cap filtered composite for the chroma.

But yes, anything with a pseudo transparency effect using dithered white checkerboards..etc never look right through s-video at least not on my display equipment. I have thought about purchasing some of the cables that BE makes, but hadn't quite jumped on that yet.

And I promise this is the last I will speak of this in this thread so as to not de-rail it any further.

Not really. Sounds to me like it is in the final stages so hopefully the hardware shouldn't change a lot and a rough estimate could be very plausible.

Watch the update video, the hardware doesn't exist in any physical form yet. That is the NeoGeo Pocket cartridge which is in final stages. The Jag is still very much in planning stages.

So no, no real idea of price yet.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...