Jump to content
SainT

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Merendino said:

I had the Lynx SD cart and the McWil mod for my model 2; decided to part with it to reduce my footprint. My collection was unfairly taking over parts of my house. Having a wife and now a kid really made me pick and choose my battles over what I hoard/collect.

So getting ride of a Lynx and SD cart freed up enough space to appease the wife?  🤔

That would be the first thing for me to kept cuz you get the whole library of games(and the system) for half the size of a shoebox.

 

 

Edited by Machine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I'm lucky, my GF usually has the soldering equipment lol. She's said that wires and random electronic boards strewn about the house is her base aesthetic. My collection does take up a lot more space than her stuff, but she gets to use it too. She's mostly circuit-bending synths or corrupting game roms on emulators to use in noise performance - most of her stuff can be done from a Pi or laptop, though she does use my old consoles and sound software for them at times too. I've made it 6 years with her, only adding stuff, not getting rid of it haha. Her room is full of disassembled Arcade 1ups, cheap clone nes-on-a-chip cabs, and ones she's modded to make them do weird crap. Her 'furniture' is basically the shells of cheap arcade emulators haha. While I'd get rid of anything to keep her, I also wouldn't stand for an ultimatum to do so haha. Not saying anyone here is, relationships are give and take, including mine - just not on the retro video games lol.

I do find it odd that a Lynx with flash cart, even as part of a bigger purge, would have much of an impact. I only just got mine a couple years ago, so I'm holding onto it dearly!

Then again, I don't have any children - if so, much of my stuff would be going into costly air conditioned storage, for protection, and I'd be sad cause I wasn't using it. Aside from occasionally knocking something off the shelf, the cats haven't been too destructive. I'm also at the point to where I'm not getting any more entirely new consoles (except maybe a Vectrex).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Hastor said:

I guess I'm lucky, my GF usually has the soldering equipment lol. She's said that wires and random electronic boards strewn about the house is her base aesthetic. My collection does take up a lot more space than her stuff, but she gets to use it too. She's mostly circuit-bending synths or corrupting game roms on emulators to use in noise performance - most of her stuff can be done from a Pi or laptop, though she does use my old consoles and sound software for them at times too. I've made it 6 years with her, only adding stuff, not getting rid of it haha. Her room is full of disassembled Arcade 1ups, cheap clone nes-on-a-chip cabs, and ones she's modded to make them do weird crap. Her 'furniture' is basically the shells of cheap arcade emulators haha. While I'd get rid of anything to keep her, I also wouldn't stand for an ultimatum to do so haha. Not saying anyone here is, relationships are give and take, including mine - just not on the retro video games lol.

I do find it odd that a Lynx with flash cart, even as part of a bigger purge, would have much of an impact. I only just got mine a couple years ago, so I'm holding onto it dearly!

Then again, I don't have any children - if so, much of my stuff would be going into costly air conditioned storage, for protection, and I'd be sad cause I wasn't using it. Aside from occasionally knocking something off the shelf, the cats haven't been too destructive. I'm also at the point to where I'm not getting any more entirely new consoles (except maybe a Vectrex).

Where does one find these 'Unicorn' women?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it was OK Cupid - though turns out we had a lot of mutual IRL friends. We were also friends while I was with my ex, then when my ex and I broke up, she was with someone else, but we still hung out. I think being great friends for well over a year without considering there being a chance for more was good. When we were both single at the same time for once, it was just obvious though. That and watching a lot of Fernwood 2 Nite together - we really bonded over that wonderful show and sharing a sense of humor (we aren't that old, I just found out about it from Nick at Nite when I was younger and got the VHS TV rips online). I have issues with self-worth and think I get the good end of the deal, I don't think I'm that great, but hearing stories about other boyfriends from her and other women - I'm at least not completely awful which seemed to have helped, and is more common than I realized hah. But yeah luck is a big part, I got lucky big time.

 

Didn't mean to spill my guts about my relationship here, but that's how it happened!

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hastor said:

She's mostly circuit-bending synths or corrupting game roms on emulators to use in noise performance - most of her stuff can be done from a Pi or laptop, though she does use my old consoles and sound software for them at times too.

Sorry for keeping offtopic but this sounds so cool! Where can we hear any of her work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, P1r said:

Sorry for keeping offtopic but this sounds so cool! Where can we hear any of her work?

She mostly does live performances, and considers a lot of her work ethereal, as in its gone when it is over. This of course doesn't apply to all of her devices, though she is known to break them down for parts for something new at times as well.

If you want to see a random mixing of things, her soundcloud has tracks she's used as parts of performances along with other things, testing ideas, and just assembling pieces, she has tons of stuff there. I think it goes back like 8 years but the more recent stuff from the past 2 - 5 years is what's she's been working with mostly since I've known her. She also hasn't been putting much there lately, but might when she feels like it again lol. She also uses acoustic things at times in addition to circuit bends, photo sensors, EMF detectors etc. Some is audio from datamoshed videos, her field recorder, anything that makes noise really.

Enjoy such tracks as 'Everdrive' and 'Atari Synthcart Test' - I actually like this noisy collection quite a bit, but none of it would be something she considers a final work afaik, but many have been used in shows etc to build more complex sets:

https://soundcloud.com/phantomprankdevice

Edited by Hastor
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 1:59 PM, Machine said:

So getting ride of a Lynx and SD cart freed up enough space to appease the wife?  🤔

That would be the first thing for me to kept cuz you get the whole library of games(and the system) for half the size of a shoebox.

 

 

I made the decision to only collect for a select few systems; the rest would be sold to make space/fund collecting for the systems in question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2019 at 5:56 PM, SainT said:

All still happening in the background. I'll start shouting loudly once things start moving properly! :)

 

I've sorted pretty much all the technical details out now and just have the last bit of testing hardware to develop. Shouldn't be too big a job, then I think that's everything needed to allow outsourcing of production.

 

Things taking a while as ever, single person factory an all that. :roll:

Where can I express interest in obtaining such a device? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been around in a while, and I'm a little unclear if the original pre-orders were officially canceled or not.  When I log into my account, it still shows my order with only 5 people in front of me.  That makes sense because I remember just missing the initial batch which would make me one of the first in the second batch (assuming it hasn't been canceled).  I totally understand why Saint planned to cancel pre-orders and start over, but I 'm wondering if he actually canceled them or not. 

 

TLDR:  I'm just trying to confirm if I should be ready to make a new pre-order once they go live again, or if I can just wait on my original order.  Either way I'm excited to get one regardless of how long I may have to wait.  Thanks again Saint and I hope everything is going much better for you now.  

Edited by TDIRunner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's still figuring it out. It did sound like he may send out one batch himself, followed by others that are outsourced. I don't think anything has been officially canceled - PayPal likely still has your info ready for him to charge.

 

If the next batch is around 200 as he said originally, I should barely make that - I think I'm 186 or something like that.

Still no word on when that will happen if it does, and whether we'll need to place brand new orders, or if at least the order of existing ones will still be honored.

 

Once he figures it out I'm sure he'll let us know. I'm also anxious to find out, but we'll know when SainT knows, which isn't yet so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Hastor said:

He's still figuring it out. It did sound like he may send out one batch himself, followed by others that are outsourced. I don't think anything has been officially canceled - PayPal likely still has your info ready for him to charge.

 

If the next batch is around 200 as he said originally, I should barely make that - I think I'm 186 or something like that.

Still no word on when that will happen if it does, and whether we'll need to place brand new orders, or if at least the order of existing ones will still be honored.

 

Once he figures it out I'm sure he'll let us know. I'm also anxious to find out, but we'll know when SainT knows, which isn't yet so far.

Pretty sure I'm 186 (Or maybe 187 - it says "There are 186 in front of you"), but I hope you're right about the rest of it!  I assume you're fishing for some confirmation from SainT about the "second batch" for which, IIRC, he said he ordered and possibly received all of the boards.  Much as I'd like to know too, can't blame him for keeping silent about it one way or the other.  Unless and until he confirms something I'd lay even odds that he's shipped some or all of the boards from that second batch out to prospective outsourcers to get bids and validate the process etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah there are 185 in front of me, so I'm thinking that makes me 186. I'd definitely like to keep my spot as it was a bit nerve-racking to check for updates multiple times a day and jump on the pre-order as soon as possible. However I know it is nothing compared to what SainT has had to deal with, and am fine with whatever happens, especially anything that ultimately lands me a JagGD :) I didn't even have a Jag until a few years ago (I think I got the last one before they went way up in price), so I'm patient as far as getting this, as well as having plenty to do with other recent flash devices for other systems. I have 3 new ones keeping me busy for now - and as much as I can't wait to check out the Jag, these at least have much larger libraries, so I'll be fine for a bit!

 

If anything I'm more excited about the 7800 cart - but very excited about both. I think 7800 and Jag GDs will make it so I finally no longer have a cartridge-based system without a flash cart (or multi-carts in the case of the Odyssey II), unless you count the cartridge slot on the Sega Saturn, but that only had a few unique carts that were game-specific, most used the generic RAM carts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to get anyone excited, but I was #6 in the queue.. just looked today and now #5.

Now, some one could have canceled or there could be other reasons, but it just raised my eyebrow with a bit of optimism.

Either way, Thank you SainT for your work and hope your health and family are doing well.

Edited by Torgod13
math... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Torgod13 said:

Not to get anyone excited, but I was #6 in the queue.. just looked today and now #5.

Now, some one could have canceled or there could be other reasons, but it just raised my eyebrow with a bit of optimism.

Either way, Thank you SainT for your work and hope your health and family are doing well.

 

Well, that means that someone ahead of me cancelled as I was - and still am - #3. And to be frank, I don't mind waiting. I would never have enjoyed the JagGD if I knew it came at the cost of SainT's health. I have enjoyed following this journey for the past few years with updates and insights and posts by some truly great people. Getting the JagGD will not be the end of the journey - it'll be a nice wrap up of the first chapter of the ongoing story! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either that or he's building and shipping them one at a time :)

Could have also just been someone he needed to send one to for other reasons, like maybe they are making a homebrew they want to test on it before release and he helped them out.

 

I think a cancellation is most likely, but then not sure who would have been excited enough to order in under an hour and not still want it. I ordered exactly an hour after the announcement and am barely in the next 200. I guess a change of financial situation can happen to anyone though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Torgod13 said:

Not to get anyone excited, but I was #6 in the queue.. just looked today and now #5.

Now, some one could have canceled or there could be other reasons, but it just raised my eyebrow with a bit of optimism.

Either way, Thank you SainT for your work and hope your health and family are doing well.

Good call. Yep, my position also moved up one spot from #36 to #35. My guess is a cancellation, and must have been by #4 or #5 in the queue, since you mentioned you were #6 and @nicksak mentioned his position at #3 didn't change. As an aside, I'm glad to hear that SainT has received support from the community and is having some success with outsourcing production. Cheers to everyone involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can you see the list to see what number you are? Curious to see where i'm at there days.

 

Saint does great work, have every confidence he will get these (one way or another) to all who have interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

Where can you see the list to see what number you are? Curious to see where i'm at there days.

 

Saint does great work, have every confidence he will get these (one way or another) to all who have interest. 

Look into your orders.

 

By the way, I'm #150

Edited by swapd0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Where can you see the list to see what number you are? Curious to see where i'm at there days.
 
Saint does great work, have every confidence he will get these (one way or another) to all who have interest. 
Just sign into your account here: https://retrohq.co.uk/login/ - Click orders
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
261 in front of you.
 
Damn.

There’s 283 in front of me. But that’s ok, I can wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So wish I had preordered the jag sd , now game drive . Hoping the ordering gets opened up soon. Saint did a great job with lynx sd. Had it since it came out. Hoping things get sorted soon. Thanks for all your hard work Saint. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My order confirmation email back on 8/19/19 says pre-order position #344.

 

Today RetroHQ says order #583.

 

No idea what is up. At least I have eproms / boards to make up to 60 carts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I truly do not know why everyone is back to calling out queue numbers?  He never promised to pick up where he left off on the order queue, only that he would attempt to do so.  Also as of this week, sounds like SainT is going to outsource everything.  If that is the case, then I'd assume orders would be fulfilled from 3rd parties, not him.

 

 

Edited by Greg2600

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...