IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

I am concerned about compatibility. I know other SD card readers have compatibility issues with certain ROM images. An example is Everdrive 64 for the N64. Not all games are compatible and a few had to have firmware patches in order to run. Will you be releasing a compatibility list soon? If you have achieved 100% compatibility with all commercial ROMS thats great too. But looking at it from a development point of view I wonder how this may affect works in progress being tested on hardware? I realize it could be a foolish question asking if compatibility is going to be 100% (theres really no way to know that right now) But I am interested in a possible compatibility list for all commercial released games.

I am concerned about compatibility. I know other SD card readers have compatibility issues with certain ROM images. An example is Everdrive 64 for the N64. Not all games are compatible and a few had to have firmware patches in order to run. Will you be releasing a compatibility list soon? If you have achieved 100% compatibility with all commercial ROMS thats great too. But looking at it from a development point of view I wonder how this may affect works in progress being tested on hardware? I realize it could be a foolish question asking if compatibility is going to be 100% (theres really no way to know that right now) But I am interested in a possible compatibility list for all commercial released games.

Paraphrasing here...

He mentioned somewhere pages ago that the #1 is retail game compatibility at this point.

With a library of 49 retail cart games, testing won't be as rigorous as a system such as the NES, etc.

Actually, with only 49 to test, you'd think it would be far more rigorous to get 100%.

I was referring to less quantity and the actual testing process (running 49 ROMS vs ~800).

True, the denominator of the equation is smaller, so each game incompatible lowers the compatibility percent by roughly 2%.

Only 4 problem games would put you at 91.8% compatible.

While most folks will complain, I'd buy one at 80% compatible.

Edits: mobile typos

Edited by Jagosaurus

I am concerned about compatibility. I know other SD card readers have compatibility issues with certain ROM images. An example is Everdrive 64 for the N64. Not all games are compatible and a few had to have firmware patches in order to run.

Apples and oranges when comparing the N64 and Jag in terms of carts. For starters N64 games could use a couple different types of memory for saving, which was a bit of an issue. The Jag only used the onboard EEPROM.

I don't know the architecture of SainT's cartridge, but if it is SRAM or Flash based (i.e. the memory is accessed directly by the Jaguar, without going through a memory controller), compatibility with cartridge games is likely to be almost 100%: as far as I know, the only games that don't work on the Skunkboard are those that are blacklisted, and/or which actively detect they're not running from a "standard" cartridge and refuse to run. Compared to other consoles, the Jaguar is pretty friendly to special carts developers, since there are no mappers to emulate, and the hardware even makes different bus widths transparent.

JagCD emulation is another matter, it's a lot more work with plenty of potential incompatibilities (even if the fact most games rely on a BIOS instead of accessing the hardware directly helps).

Edited by Zerosquare

Yeah, the Jag is very simple hardware wise for the cartridge. No additional hardware on any carts apart from the EEPROM, which has a few different possibilities (but only like 2-3), so I dont really see any problems.

The CD emulation is indeed a different thing. But I'm going to be handling the data streaming via I2S, as the actual CD hardware does, and the rest is a BIOS change. So this should produce good compatibility. As it was enforced to use the CD BIOS and not write directly, it should work well...

I will obviously know more when I actually get the first hardware produced. I'm just finishing up the NeoGeo Pocket cartridge, then I'm going to be concentrating on the Jag next.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 10

Excuse me SainT if you've already mentioned it somewhere here and I just haven't seen it, but if you haven't - then I'm sure plenty of people will be interested in the fact that you've opened up a pre-orders interest register on out website for your NEO-GEO Pocket Flash Card.

http://www.retrohq.co.uk/neogeo-pocket-pre-order

If you didn't want a flood of interest - Opps! Sorry... :)

I only saw this because I'm subscribing to the progress update videos on Youtube - well done - bloody good work!

• Like 1

I have the old Bung Fashlinker and hoping to update to this one. I have a question:

1. What is the flash write cycle on this flash chip, I see some everdrive products you can only flash it like 100,000 times before the flash chip dies or stop working?

Thanks.

I have the old Bung Fashlinker and hoping to update to this one. I have a question:

1. What is the flash write cycle on this flash chip, I see some everdrive products you can only flash it like 100,000 times before the flash chip dies or stop working?

Thanks.

The flash write cycle limit on most FLASH chips is about 100,000 times, yep. The chip I'm using says 100,000 erase cycles and typical 20 years data retention. These figures will be conservative. Once a game is installed, however, it can be played as many times as you like. And as there is 15mb of space for writing games, it means you're unlikely to be erasing and re-installing particularly frequently.

Given the time taken to flash a game, realistically it means you'd have to be erasing and re-writing games constantly for about 3 years for the cycle limit to be reached.

Obviously some sectors, like the ones used for save game data, will get used more frequently. But again, 100,000 times is massive. If a games saves once every 5 minutes, say, you'd be talking something like playing a game without a break solidly for about a year given saving every 5 minutes.

It really don't see it as an issue. :)

The flash write cycle limit on most FLASH chips is about 100,000 times, yep. The chip I'm using says 100,000 erase cycles and typical 20 years data retention. These figures will be conservative. Once a game is installed, however, it can be played as many times as you like. And as there is 15mb of space for writing games, it means you're unlikely to be erasing and re-installing particularly frequently.

Given the time taken to flash a game, realistically it means you'd have to be erasing and re-writing games constantly for about 3 years for the cycle limit to be reached.

Obviously some sectors, like the ones used for save game data, will get used more frequently. But again, 100,000 times is massive. If a games saves once every 5 minutes, say, you'd be talking something like playing a game without a break solidly for about a year given saving every 5 minutes.

It really don't see it as an issue. :)

perhaps you could use a socket for the flash chip so it could be changed if there were an issue or it was worn out?

• Like 1

With all the 1000s of everdrives out there, have you ever heard of one wearing out? Generally speaking, everything electronic will eventually wear out. That said, I'm also not sure how you'd socket flash memory with a TSOP (I assume) package. It's not like socketing a through hole DIP chip.

• Like 3

With all the 1000s of everdrives out there, have you ever heard of one wearing out? Generally speaking, everything electronic will eventually wear out. That said, I'm also not sure how you'd socket flash memory with a TSOP (I assume) package. It's not like socketing a through hole DIP chip.

although they are different they do do tsop sockets, but as saint said, they are quite fat so probably not the best idea, i just thought that there may be a slimline version nowadays from the old thing that i have seen

perhaps have a flash rotation system perhaps where the chip is much larger than the roms and it flashes to different sections of the chip on a looping system so you can multiply life ?

if they will last ages and ages anyway there's probably not much point in doing that either, but i was just thinking because during the development of jhl15 i think it was a skunkboard flash chip was killed, which was the reason for my suggestions, only trying to help :)

although they are different they do do tsop sockets, but as saint said, they are quite fat so probably not the best idea, i just thought that there may be a slimline version nowadays from the old thing that i have seen

perhaps have a flash rotation system perhaps where the chip is much larger than the roms and it flashes to different sections of the chip on a looping system so you can multiply life ?

if they will last ages and ages anyway there's probably not much point in doing that either, but i was just thinking because during the development of jhl15 i think it was a skunkboard flash chip was killed, which was the reason for my suggestions, only trying to help :)

For the Jag I'm using RAM for the cart, so there's going to be no issues there. I didn't really want to use FLASH on the NGP really, but the system is actually heavily tied to FLASH memory, so I had no choice due to space, cost and complexity constraints.

I still find it hard to believe someone would wear out a FLASH chip due to erase cycles, 100,000 is a hell of a lot! :)

Oh, and iPhone's for example use standard FLASH memory for their App storage. I've not heard of this being an issue?