IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

My thoughts exactly. The Lynx SD card was perfect and having one developed for the Jaguar is a dream come true. I'm following this thread in hopes of getting higher on the preorder list when it begins! Thanks SainT for all of the hard work you're putting into this.

• Like 2

The Jag has the ability to access either 32, 16 or 8 bits of data per access to the external bus (the data on the cartridge). A 32 bit cart can transfer data to the jag 4x quicker than an 8bit cart. I'm really not sure what games were what bus size, but you'd expect larger games to have more ROM's and therefore be connected in parallel to the data bus and therefore more likely to be 32bit, but I really haven't done any research on this!

To my knowledge, all official games carts (and the homebrew releases which use Atari PCBs) have a 32-bit data path, split between either two 16-bit ROM chips or four 8-bit ROM chips. (The Memory Track is only 8-bit wide, but that's not a game :))

But on the other hand, they use the slowest access timings (10 cycles), probably to drive costs down by allowing the use of cheap and slow ROM chips. With modern chips, you can use 16-bit width with the fastest timings (5 cycles): it's as fast for 32-bit accesses, and faster for 8 and 16-bit accesses. But it's also cheaper: only one 16-bit chip is needed, it only uses half as many voltage-translation buffers, and it makes routing easier. This trick has been used on the Skunkboard, and we've done the same thing on the Jagtopus. The games don't notice the difference, since the Jaguar memory controller abstracts the bus width.

That's why I said earlier that you didn't need to support 32-bit width. But it would still be interesting for homebrews, since it gives you twice as much bandwidth, which means that some stuff could be kept in ROM instead of RAM without impacting performance as much.

• Like 5

To my knowledge, all official games carts (and the homebrew releases which use Atari PCBs) have a 32-bit data path, split between either two 16-bit ROM chips or four 8-bit ROM chips. (The Memory Track is only 8-bit wide, but that's not a game :))

The Jaguar CD BIOS and Atari FlashCard BIOS are also "8-bit carts" but those are not games either :P

That's why I said earlier that you didn't need to support 32-bit width.

True unless the game writes to the MemCon1 register to set the bus size. And I know a few games that (deliberately) do that :roll:

Robert

• Like 1

True unless the game writes to the MemCon1 register to set the bus size. And I know a few games that (deliberately) do that :roll:

Yeah, that's what I meant earlier about the games that go out of their way not to work on flash carts. But there are only a few ones, and if we're thinking about the same ones, they're homebrew releases.

What rare, common or homebrew games do you guys plan to finally play once SainT releases his flashcart? In my case, I just bought my Jaguar, so I don't own any cartridges yet, I can't wait to play Alien vs Predator and Attack of the mutant penguins. I've played Tempest 2000 on Sega Saturn and I already know it's a great game.

What rare, common or homebrew games do you guys plan to finally play once SainT releases his flashcart? In my case, I just bought my Jaguar, so I don't own any cartridges yet, I can't wait to play Alien vs Predator and Attack of the mutant penguins. I've played Tempest 2000 on Sega Saturn and I already know it's a great game.

Stuff that I can't bring myself to part with silly amounts of cash to play. So Power Drive Rally and things like that. I did have a shitload of Jag games back in the day because the shops were selling them, and the consoles off (end of life), so I pretty much bought one of everything. Sadly it's all long since sold (for buttons), so I'm just getting back to it. I've got T2K and Rebooteroids currently, and that's it.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 1

Stuff that I can't bring myself to part with silly amounts of cash to play. So Power Drive Rally and things like that. I did have a shitload of Jag games back in the day because the shops were selling them, and the consoles off (end of life), so I pretty much bought one of everything. Sadly it's all long since sold (for buttons), so I'm just getting back to it. I've got T2K and Rebooteroids currently, and that's it.

Power drive rally is $55 bucks and you can buy it right now as we speak. I consider that pretty normal.

Personally I am really thankful for those who manufacture Flashcarts, without them I would be f*****. Thanks to them, my console collection is almost 100% functional; if I had to buy cartridges for each console I own I would be screwed... Owning a videogame collection in a third world country is a logistics nightmare, lol, I gotta pay triple on everything due to weak currency + import taxes and stuff like that... That's why I didn't even buy a regular jaguar cart so far, I'm waiting for the great SainT to finish his work :grin: :thumbsup:

Power drive rally is $55 bucks and you can buy it right now as we speak. I consider that pretty normal.

It might be in the US. 60 UKP is the cheapest one listed here which equates to about 75 USD. That's on the wrong side of silly for me when it comes to pricing of an old top down racer. I had serious trouble coming to terms with paying 46UKP for Breath of the Wild on Wii U the other day and that was only because I can't see Nintendo doing another run of that and the prices have already started climbing on Wii U stuff.

• Like 1

I just look forward to being able to play games via a flash cart without having to have the Jaguar daisy chained to my computer and using a command prompt.

I am looking forward to this as well given I have not seen a single Jag game in the wild around my parts for years.....wait sorry keep it PG-13. I have not seen any Jaguar games around in my shopping area I mean so this will be a great way to get to some of those titles I can't wait to play like Checkered Flag.

I am looking forward to this as well given I have not seen a single Jag game in the wild around my parts for years.....wait sorry keep it PG-13. I have not seen any Jaguar games around in my shopping area I mean so this will be a great way to get to some of those titles I can't wait to play like Checkered Flag.

Say what now?

• Like 2