IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

2 hours ago, nyandeyanen said:

The Jaguar SD finally arrived yesterday, albeit through SAG since I see pre-orders are insanely backed up at AA (though I'm still in line here.) Everything looks great! I rather like the finish on the cart personally and running software seems to work as it should. The only odd bit I found so far is that I couldn't get the QR code for the update URL to work with my mobile phone, not really an issue since the URL comes up by pressing option, but other than that I can finally play the Native demo and those great ST ports which didn't get cartridges on real metal. Maybe I'll try picking up some Jag CDs to see if I can get some of them going next.

Yeah, I think my only complaint is that I had to remove the 'toilet seat' and the Jag doesn't look right to me without it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hastor said:

I find it weird that QR codes failed for some. You aren't stretching it to 16x9 are you? I'm using a CRT and it scans easily.

Nope, 4:3 all the way. I find it just as weird as you do, although again it's not a pressing issue and more of a curiosity. I edited the resulting picture on my computer into a perfect square shape in Photoshop and still couldn't scan it with my phone. My wife's phone (an iPhone, mine's an Android) couldn't read it either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hastor said:

I find it weird that QR codes failed for some. You aren't stretching it to 16x9 are you? I'm using a CRT and it scans easily.

Probably not nyandeyanen's issue, since he can see the update URL, but I was actually a bit confused by the 2 QR codes.

When turning on the system and holding the option button too long, it might display the serial number instead of the update URL QR code (especially with devices like the Framemeister, which don't show the picture immediately). Maybe it's just me, but I thought the QR code is for the update firmware and never got the URL of course ?, until I realized to press option again to get the firmware URL. ?

Edited by yoshi41

7 hours ago, Hastor said:

Some phones do have issues with CRT's. I know my crappy old iPhone 5 isn't great...

6 hours ago, SainT said:

Some phones do have issues with CRT's. I know my crappy old iPhone 5 isn't great...

Ha, the refresh rates are incompatible with the cameras for the most part.  It is the same issue since forever.  Remember when you would see a computer screen on the news back in the 80s/90s?  You would always see that refresh line scrolling.

I actually forgot to scan my qr code.  Guess I should.  I should also give another attempt at getting my Sinden Light gun working...

Jaguar GD arrived today and it's up and working fine!

Physically, the cart feels very solid with a nice design.  I like the textured surface.  I wouldn't know it was 3D printed if I hadn't heard it here... I've got plenty of 3D printed stuff and the quality ranges from poor to decent, but the GD is VERY solid.

Operating the cart couldn't be simpler.  It came updated with the latest FW from the retailer*, so it was just a matter of dropping the roms on the SD card, plugging in the cart, and playing some Jag.  Every game I threw at it worked, though I didn't try any CD games yet (honestly, the only one that interests me is Battlemorph).

It will be fun to revisit some of my favorites (and "favorites") from back in the day that I don't have on cart, like Raiden (legitimately good) and Dragon (I forced myself to get into it back then haha).

*Apparently not the latest update! See following post haha

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, newtmonkey said:

Operating the cart couldn't be simpler.  It came updated with the latest FW from the retailer, so it was just a matter of dropping the roms on the SD card, plugging in the cart, and playing some Jag.  Every game I threw at it worked, though I didn't try any CD games yet (honestly, the only one that interests me is Battlemorph).

It isn't actually the CD firmware installed (press OPTION at boot to check), there are possible issues on some consoles with loading games with the CD firmware, so I opted to leave that update to the user!

However, that said, I don't think I've actually had any reports of game loading issues with the CD firmware apart from one Jag which I am now in possession of. I'll try and sort the issue on that console eventually as well. ?

• Like 3

Just got mine a few weeks ago and finally had some time to check it out last week.  I did get a bit of a scare until I started researching issues with JagGD and the Catbox -  Fortunately I had an official Jag SVGA video cable, so I was able to rock and roll.

I checked out a bunch of ROMs I had lying around, most worked, some didn't, of those that didn't, several may have been slightly skeevy anyways.  The only one I remember specifically hanging is the Native Demo.  Next up is to try to get some CDs converted, and get the artwork bundles fixed up, so everything looks nice and pretty.  Hoping the media change helps Black Ice White Noise and American Hero to run a little more stable so I can leave my CDRs to their eternal bit-rot doom.

To SainT, I followed this project for some time and since I'm actually in the business of designing and shipping hardware (or - at least bringing up the software that runs on that hardware), I understand very well how much hard work and perseverance it took to get to this point. This is one of the cooler pieces of hardware to make our aging Jaggys relevant and easy to keep around.  Congrats and thanks!

• Like 1

Just got mine up and running, retro towers here in the U.K. had them in stock for about a week! All gone now.

Great piece of kit, it’s worth it alone just to play the home brews - on eBay they are usually asking somewhere around £150 for a bootleg copy of Doom 2, the GD only cost £165.

Just enjoying playing all those super rare titles I’ll never own, Rayman for one. 

I do have a modest CIB Jag collection and I did originally say I’d never sell, but eBay is looking more tempting now, especially as recently I’ve stumbled across a seller who makes repro overlays which I feel is semi helpful for some games. 

The firmware was easy to download / install I had no problem scanning from my CRT. Do I understand this latest firmware will allow us to play Jag CD from the GD alone, or is that in the future?

Edited by EddieHitler
Missed some info out.
  • Like 2

Just received mine last night.  Thanks Al!

I won't be able to use it for some months though as I am remodeling my basement into a bar and billiards room and the living room will become a movie theater and game room.  The wife is even on board with the concept!?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

Operating the cart couldn't be simpler.  It came updated with the latest FW from the retailer*, so it was just a matter of dropping the roms on the SD card, plugging in the cart, and playing some Jag.  Every game I threw at it worked, though I didn't try any CD games yet (honestly, the only one that interests me is Battlemorph).

The CD version of Hoverstrike is much better than the Cart version, if that's your thing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leech said:

The CD version of Hoverstrike is much better than the Cart version, if that's your thing.

I’m quite interested to try Primal Rage (though I expect the novelty will ware off as I can just play the PS1 or PS2 version anytime) and I suppose “Where did you learn to fly? 2” but that aside I’m good for the Jag CD - the likes of Brain Dead 13 don’t float my boat and I never got into Myst on PC even. 

29 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

I really enjoy world tour racing personally.

That one is crashing for me - perhaps I tried to skip past the FMV too quickly?  I hope I can get it to work, I've never got to see it before.

I spent some time tonight getting CD game support enabled.  I updated the firmware without a problem, converted my images, and didn't encounter any noncontinuous file issues when I started the GD up.  All CD games would boot fine, but then give me a black screen no matter how many times I tried.  I figured the SD card was the issue (cheap "Kingston" card I got on Amazon, but who knows who the manufacturer really is lol), so I swapped it with a Sandisk SD card I was using for something else... and every game I tried booted fine!

Really impressive for beta support!  While I did get a Jag shortly after it was released back in the day and had a handful of cart games, I never bought the CD addon (in fact, never even saw it for sale anywhere).  It was quite a rush to go through the small CD library; I found Battlemorph, Hover Strike, and Primal Rage to be pretty impressive... would have definitely been pleased with these games back in the day!

• Like 2

On 8/1/2021 at 11:20 AM, newtmonkey said:

I spent some time tonight getting CD game support enabled.  I updated the firmware without a problem, converted my images, and didn't encounter any noncontinuous file issues when I started the GD up.  All CD games would boot fine, but then give me a black screen no matter how many times I tried.  I figured the SD card was the issue (cheap "Kingston" card I got on Amazon, but who knows who the manufacturer really is lol), so I swapped it with a Sandisk SD card I was using for something else... and every game I tried booted fine!

Really impressive for beta support!  While I did get a Jag shortly after it was released back in the day and had a handful of cart games, I never bought the CD addon (in fact, never even saw it for sale anywhere).  It was quite a rush to go through the small CD library; I found Battlemorph, Hover Strike, and Primal Rage to be pretty impressive... would have definitely been pleased with these games back in the day!

Ha, we should get a count of people who have managed to beat Highlander.  I am one!

1 hour ago, leech said:

Ha, we should get a count of people who have managed to beat Highlander.  I am one!

You managed to play it for that long?  What are you, some kind of crazy sadist or something?!?!:lolblue:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

You managed to play it for that long?  What are you, some kind of crazy sadist or something?!?!:lolblue:

Highlander Freezes on me too much to beat it. Figured it was just that bad.. Other games haven't given me issues though admittedly with some other projects going on I've only spent a few hours with my Jag GD so far, and figured I'd wait for updates to really test the CD stuff.

1 hour ago, Hastor said:

Highlander Freezes on me too much to beat it. Figured it was just that bad.. Other games haven't given me issues though admittedly with some other projects going on I've only spent a few hours with my Jag GD so far, and figured I'd wait for updates to really test the CD stuff.

Weird, I don't recall it freezing on the original hardware.  JagGD trying to save you from the crap camera angles?  ?

1 hour ago, joeatari1 said:

Ha, I do kind of like things that are broken.  Like I have spent the last few weeks trying to figure out why the PPC keeps crashing in my Amiga... instead of just using the Vampire standalone...

• Like 1