IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

Lol, I'm fine for designing and producing these without any further backing, as much as I appreciate it! :)

I'm currently waiting on a 2nd revision prototype PCB to come back from the fab house. I'd cocked up the routing to the CPLD on the first board so couldn't go any further with the RAM side of things. I took the opportunity to tidy up the routing a bit while I was there and fix the other mistakes.

And I checked with the fab house, profiled / beveled board edges are no problem, so we're all good.

• Like 9

I'm very much looking forward to this. If there was a list, I'd also like to sign up. ;-)

If there is a USB connector to transfer data, is it theoretically possible to support usb devices like a keyboard or mouse when it's running a game? (and not connected to a pc?)

Only if you finish Erievale

• Like 3

I'm very much looking forward to this. If there was a list, I'd also like to sign up. ;-)

If there is a USB connector to transfer data, is it theoretically possible to support usb devices like a keyboard or mouse when it's running a game? (and not connected to a pc?)

It is theoretically possible to support USB on the go (host) with the micro I'm using, however I don't have plans to support it currently. I'll check what is involved though and see if I can make it possible at least with a firmware update (ie. whatever is required hardware side is hooked up). But my primary goal is to provide complete support for rom and cd games, additional features like keyboard / mouse interface are more of a wish list... although I'd love the option... :)

• Like 4

I can't remember if it was mentioned, but I think it'd be awesome to be able to stick mp3s on the sd card and have the VLM work with them. It was the main use for my JagCD back in the day...

More likely PCM or ADPCM WAV files than MP3, but yes. :) Although I did find someone had used one of these micros to decode MP3's, so it may be do-able.

• Like 1

Beware of feature creep.

I've been thinking the same. Much further and we're bordering on 'if you're willing to replace the board in your jag with a raspberry pi, the cart can also support other consoles and MKV playback!' lol.

My main concern is loading cart roms, and I'd really love to be able to load CD images as well. Any features past that I think are important to a smaller audience. Some cool stuff that I'd likely play around with, but not a dealbreaker on getting the cart by any means.

• Like 7

Don't worry about that, look at my other projects. I deliver. I'm very focused on core functionality. ;)

If adding USB OTG support in hardware is as simple as connecting up an additional trace to the USB connector (which it is), it's stupid not to. Always be aware of future expansion when it takes virtually no effort to make it happen. If the software support never comes, it doesn't matter, at least its a possibility...

• Like 8

This thread is massive, SainT is the one making this and a bunch of people pop in with comments on what he should and shouldn't do in development and for adding additional features. Heck as long as the SD card allows to ad roms for any and all games so we can play them, I personally don't care about it being able to do anything else like play Mp3 or have wifi or whatever. It's not that hard to take the SD card and put it into your computer, drag the roms to it, then put it back into the cart, which if you have all the roms should only have to do once anyways.

Rock on SainT for working on and making this, do it how you want it and we will all still buy it anyways!

Edited by UHATEIT
  • Like 3

I completely understand the concern, feature creep can kill a project. However I don't treat things I develop as rambling hobby projects, I evaluate the core functionality required for a product and set that as the goal. If other things can be achieved with little effort, or further development after release, then that's all good. However I wont let it delay what I'm doing -- the core functionality is all that matters to me, as I understand what the requirements are for 99% of the people who want this. :)

• Like 7

I completely understand the concern, feature creep can kill a project. However I don't treat things I develop as rambling hobby projects, I evaluate the core functionality required for a product and set that as the goal. If other things can be achieved with little effort, or further development after release, then that's all good. However I wont let it delay what I'm doing -- the core functionality is all that matters to me, as I understand what the requirements are for 99% of the people who want this. :)

Exactly, and as far as what I had asked, it was already discussed for the VLM functionality which is built into the JagCD BIOS, I was simply asking if it would be possible to trick it out and make it think mp3 tracks were an audio CD. Sounds like it'll at least work with WAV files anyhow. VLM technically IS core functionality if he wants to support loading of ISOs anyhow.

I mean either way, I'm buying this, I just figured the less wear and tear on the JagCD the better, so if it can replace all of the functions of it, that'd be great! So looking forward to this...

• Like 1

I've been thinking the same. Much further and we're bordering on 'if you're willing to replace the board in your jag with a raspberry pi, the cart can also support other consoles and MKV playback!' lol.

My main concern is loading cart roms, and I'd really love to be able to load CD images as well. Any features past that I think are important to a smaller audience. Some cool stuff that I'd likely play around with, but not a dealbreaker on getting the cart by any means.

Ha, why not, I have a Raspberry Pi in my Falcon... though it mostly just does networking / hard drive and floppy. (CosmosEx).