IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

This is awesome, been waiting for this (may have to pick up an Atari Lynx again to buy an SD Card adapter for it too!).

I do have a question though, I used to use my JagCD all the time for the virtual light machine. Until it stopped reading disks, then I fixed that with a 10 dollar replacement of the laser, but I managed somehow to break the clip to hold the lid down... well, I was wondering if it'd be possible to implement some sort of hack to pipe mp3s through the VLM? That would rock!

Yeah, I would think something like that would be possible... :)

• Like 6

This is all fantastic stuff SainT!

I had always hoped that a Jaguar Flash cart would happen, but the idea of playing CD based games is just mind blowing. :)

Thank you for all your work on this!

---Edit:

Given the possibility of CD games playing from the cart, do you anticipate any conflicts with actually having a CD unit installed and the flash cart plugged into the CD unit?

Additionally are you planning support for the CD Memory Track cart to allow CD game saves?

Edited by valthonis

That is a big no no. You need to read the first post!

Haha... yes. British humor is quite dry... I'm a huge fan of it (for what it's worth). But sarcasm is largely more common in America than other countries... and my sarcasm was not well received by our British brothers when I asked to be put on the special list! :)

On 7/19/2016 at 3:35 PM, valthonis said:

Given the possibility of CD games playing from the cart, do you anticipate any conflicts with actually having a CD unit installed and the flash cart plugged into the CD unit?

Additionally are you planning support for the CD Memory Track cart to allow CD game saves?

Well, if the CD was plugged in and the then the Jag cart, just dont select the "Emulate CD" option.

I intend to support the memory track if possible also, yes. Again this will be persisted on the memory card.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 3

Well, if the CD was plugged in and the then the JagSD, just dont select the "Emulate CD" option.

I intend to support the memory track if possible also, yes. Again this will be persisted on the SD card.

Thank you for the response and sorry if I wasn't specifically clear. I was just curious if your "Emulate CD" option would still function if a CD unit was attached or if they would conflict.

Thanks again for your work. :)

• Like 1

@SainT

Any chance that if you do add an Ethernet connector, that it can come out of the back of the cartridge rather than the top or front? It sounds like a stupid request, but for nothing other than purely aesthetic reasons, I'd like the cable to trail behind the unit rather than any other direction.

Others will have their own views on this that are contrary to mine - and it's no big deal if it doesn't happen. Whatever you build will be great.

Thanks,

Mark.

Also any chance you could add a fog machine and strobe light to the cart to accompany the VLM? Maybe a color coordinated LED light show where the label would normally be as well (since the Ethernet port and HDMI out will be on the back.) Thanks.

Brilliant! Ha, I wonder how hard it'd be to connect it to an Arduino to control LEDs inside an infinity mirror.

• Like 2

Also any chance you could add a fog machine and strobe light to the cart to accompany the VLM? Maybe a color coordinated LED light show where the label would normally be as well (since the Ethernet port and HDMI out will be on the back.) Thanks.

Funny enough, the SD2SNES does have optiinal LED status lights which I opted to not get... fog would be a welcome addition.

For those seriously referencing a list & to those not picking up on others' sarcasm poking fun at said individuals, I'll leave this creamy meme here. Yikes!

66995111.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the SD cart will be flexible and fast enough to shunt paged data from flash storage to cart Ram, and support the full 6MB cart memory map. This would then allow for games like Time Crisis. Those games stream and buffer video which the Jaguar is more than capable of. Even on Time Crisis Project Titan, each area only comprises of between 8 and 39 frames for background all of which could be held in cart Ram along with sprites for characters with no compression at 8 bit color depth. Time Crisis 1 could be held in 2MB space as it uses less frames for background animation. Just an idea.

I hope the SD cart will be flexible and fast enough to shunt paged data from flash storage to cart Ram, and support the full 6MB cart memory map. This would then allow for games like Time Crisis. Those games stream and buffer video which the Jaguar is more than capable of. Even on Time Crisis Project Titan, each area only comprises of between 8 and 39 frames for background all of which could be held in cart Ram along with sprites for characters with no compression at 8 bit color depth. Time Crisis 1 could be held in 2MB space as it uses less frames for background animation. Just an idea.

I hope it holds a magic genie to make all these software wishes come true!

• Like 9

PM VladR, the author of the Road Rash port. His engine can probably make Time Crisis happen no problem at all.

• Like 7

I cannot wait for this project to become reality. I'm being tempted by a copy of Atari Karts for sale at the insane price of ~$160. I've been a Jag owner since 1993, but there are a bunch of rare Jag games I've never had a chance to try. Unfortunately they're all way too expensive. So this project would be s dream come true.

Edited by Kirkman
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...