IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

My name is getting closer to the list of 'haves' for the Lynx one. But much like that thread, people aren't reading the first post. Lynx thread clearly states you'll get the SD flash card outside of the case WITH a case to put on it, so if you have a Lynx 1 or 2, you're covered. Yet so many people are asking for "I want one without a case" or "I want one cased." You get the case anyhow, probably simpler to keep a list.

This thread starts with "this is not a pre-order list, just gauging interest" message (not direct quote, but I remember that much without looking...). So just a "Awesome, waiting for pre-order too!" SainT said he'll be starting up a new thread if I recall for the actual pre-orders when he's closer to an actual product.

Of course it doesn't help that I bugged him about 3D printing replacement parts for the JagCD (the little latch that holds down the CD lid.) I should just get a 3d printer myself one of these days...

• Like 1

Yeah, no lists yet. I've actually started doing some layout work on the PCB finally though!! :D

I've got it all reasonably solid in my head now and schematics for chunks of it are sorted. So there's bits I can start to layout now... so it finally feels like I'm getting somewhere. Hopefully should have a PCB layout to order in a few weeks to start testing the flash and memory interface stuff. It will have a small flash (128KB accessible) for boot-up and menu system, then a load of RAM which will be switchable in the cart memory space. So you can boot from FLASH, populate the RAM from SD, then boot from it as a normal cart.

Lots is in flux in terms of how I'm going to handle it. I'm hoping a lot of things can be offloaded to the microcontroller, like EEPROM support etc...

It's looking like the cart will have 16mb of RAM on it, which will be pageable should anyone want to have that kind of memory available quickly.

Offer to help if you need anything still open :D

There are Gods amongst us mere mortals! Well, at least in the perspective of us nerds who love Atari from the time period before they merged with a completely unknown hard drive manufacturer.

Seriously I'd never heard of JTS until Atari merged with them, then they disappeared right afterward. Oddly enough after this happened, a dude I know had randomly bought a JTS hard drive which died on him about a week after he had defragged his hard drive 14 times in one night because he thought it'd give him enough performance to play a Ultima Online server we were playing on... yes his computer training was from Packard Bell. Fun times!

More on topic, if it has 16mb of RAM to utilize, does that mean some of the Homebrew stuff people are working on can get even crazier? (where's my EasyMint setup for my Jag? :-D

More on topic, if it has 16mb of RAM to utilize, does that mean some of the Homebrew stuff people are working on can get even crazier? (where's my EasyMint setup for my Jag? :-D

We don't know if he made a typo or not, e.g. there're 2 options:

1. 16 Mb(its) - e.g. just 2 MB

2. 16 MB(ytes) - e.g. 16 MB

Obviously, the second one is 8x more space and it would be really sweet, if we could just page in the data between game levels from those 16 MB (assuming, it's 16 MB, not 2 MB).

But, if it's really 16 MBytes, then yes - this opens up a whole new world of possibilities on jag. Still, one has to code all that new stuff, it just doesn't automagically code itself, you know :)

Good point! Granted not many would use 16Mb to describe 2MB these days.

I stopped believing in Santa Claus and his little elves long ago, but software coders usually are akin to magical gnomes, so please gnomes get ready to code! ;)

But the gnomes would need the actual HW, so this is a Catch-22 problem.

Arguably, one could prototype (and "emulate" the SD card) with swapping the data from CD, but the whole point of using SD card's buffer programmatically (be it 16 Mb or 16 MB), is to avoid using the bloody CD ROM unit in the first place and just stay completely digital from end to end.

Also, for great majority of games that would use the additional space, the most work actually lies on the artist, as he's the one who must come up with multiple sets of graphics for levels. The programmer really only writes the initial routine to swap the data, then just adjusts the pointer for different level (e.g. a 5-minute job).

What you are probably thinking is that now it would be possible to design a 3D engine that wouldn't be limited by 2 MB of jag's memory.

That, however, is a truly monumental task, best left for bored retirees that don't need to sleep more than 5-6 hrs a day and suffer from OCJC (Obsessive-Compulsive-Jag-Coding) syndrome.

Edited by VladR

On 12/18/2016 at 4:37 PM, VladR said:

We don't know if he made a typo or not, e.g. there're 2 options:

1. 16 Mb(its) - e.g. just 2 MB

2. 16 MB(ytes) - e.g. 16 MB

Obviously, the second one is 8x more space and it would be really sweet, if we could just page in the data between game levels from those 16 MB (assuming, it's 16 MB, not 2 MB).

But, if it's really 16 MBytes, then yes - this opens up a whole new world of possibilities on jag. Still, one has to code all that new stuff, it just doesn't automagically code itself, you know :)

Yeah, 16 mbytes. 2 would be useless...

Large ROM size may be relatively pointless if you can stream data rapidly from the memory card, as access to data over the cart bus isn't very quick. But the option will be there.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 2

Yeah, 16 mbytes. 2 would be useless...

Large ROM size may be relatively pointless if you can stream data rapidly from the SD, as access to data over the cart bus isn't very quick. But the option will be there.

Thanks for confirming 16 MB.

In your experience, what is the difference of transfer speeds between the ROM and the actual SD card ? In the end, it still has to go through the same cart bus, correct ?

What's the mechanism (and limits) to address the actual SD-card contents ? Say, have a read-only access to 1 GB ? What's the current maximum size of the SD card, one will be able to address (and stream data from) ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Became a new Jaguar owner for the first time. Very interested and will buy :)

Welcome to the club! Such a wonderfully underrated machine. Sadly, after newer games started to dry up back in the day, my Jaguar was mostly used for the VLM. Though I do have quite a few new games that I haven't completed that are amazing. Just not sure how much they would have helped sell systems had they been released when they were supposed to. I'm namely talking about Robinson's Requiem and Skyhammer. The first one would be better if I could play it with a mouse / keyboard, so I may end up playing it more on my Falcon, I am pretty sure there aren't any differences between the two?

• Like 1

I plan to have full debugging capabilities by providing a header you can connect to the alpine connector on the Jag mainboard, yep. This could also be used to emulator-style state saving etc, as you can cause a non maskable interrupt from the cart.

• Like 6

I plan to have full debugging capabilities by providing a header you can connect to the alpine connector on the Jag mainboard, yep. This could also be used to emulator-style state saving etc, as you can cause a non maskable interrupt from the cart.

Debugging sounds cool! However, a lot of the h/w registers are WO, so this probably won't be possible, unless the bus is monitored for address writes :(