IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

Ha, I think my copy of Checkered Flag is still in it's wrapper, or I may have played it once. I think I bought it just to fill out my collection (the Jaguar being the only platform I'm trying to collect them all, though I haven't started buying the ST to Jaguar carts yet, and am still on the fence about them (since I do have several STs if I really feel the need to play them, but some of them are awfully tempting...)

Someone else mentioned Power Drive Rally, which my cart seems to work if I very carefully put it into the slot, but don't push it down all the way (not sure if the contacts need cleaning (tried) or what the deal is. But it is one of my most played games on the system, that's for sure.

There's actually a patch for Checkered Flag that greatly improves the TERRIBLE controls in it. THAT'S the stuff the makes me the most excited about ROM carts! I borrowed a Skunkboard once, but didn't know about the patch at the time. I'm looking forward to trying it on real hardware when this is released: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/179195-checkered-flag-controls/?do=findComment&comment=2240397

• Like 1

Lol, sadly not... ;)

Things have slowed currently on the Jag as I'm just finalising the NeoGeo Pocket cart, that should begin production in a couple of weeks. I'm just about to send out some beta carts for that, and once it all seems good, I'll give the go ahead for the cart production to begin. :-o I always find doing that a little nerve-wracking. ;)

But once that's been green lit, I'll be back to full time on the Jag as I wait for the carts to arrive. I've been spending a lot of time on the menu system for the NeoGeo Pocket recently and getting all functionality working. As usual, these things take longer than you'd expect! Updates on the NeoGeo Pocket cart are here if anyone is interested... https://atariage.com/forums/topic/261206-neogeo-pocket-colour-flash-cartridge/ :)

Although I've just got another Jag through from eBay as the old one I had was temperamental. Hopefully this one will be ok... not tested it yet. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 9

There's actually a patch for Checkered Flag that greatly improves the TERRIBLE controls in it. THAT'S the stuff the makes me the most excited about ROM carts! I borrowed a Skunkboard once, but didn't know about the patch at the time. I'm looking forward to trying it on real hardware when this is released: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/179195-checkered-flag-controls/?do=findComment&comment=2240397

That's awesome! Now I know there are Doom mods floating around that let you play Doom II, but is there one that puts the music back in? A ton of reviews I've seen state that the Jaguar version of Doom is the best of any platform, except that it's missing the music.

That's awesome! Now I know there are Doom mods floating around that let you play Doom II, but is there one that puts the music back in? A ton of reviews I've seen state that the Jaguar version of Doom is the best of any platform, except that it's missing the music.

It's arguably the best console version until the PS1 release. I personally prefer the Jaguar version of Wolfenstein 3D (the 3DO version is also quite good), but it's definitely a good version save for the music thing.

Can you tell us what's bothering it? Maybe someone here knows the fix.

I did mention it in the Jag repairs bit of the forum some time ago. It's a bit odd, some games work fine, others don't -- they just freeze either immediately after boot or after anything upto about a minute. I've not really had the time or inclination to dig much further, it could be dodgy buffer chips between the external and internal bus possibly. Either way, hopefully I have a working one now. :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I did mention it in the Jag repairs bit of the forum some time ago. It's a bit odd, some games work fine, others don't -- they just freeze either immediately after boot or after anything upto about a minute. I've not really had the time or inclination to dig much further, it could be dodgy buffer chips between the external and internal bus possibly. Either way, hopefully I have a working one now. :)

Keep us informed, SainT, I'm so excited, keep up the good work :-D :thumbsup:

Usually, the Atari Jaguar isn't on people's top video game consoles list. It's not a mainstream console, like the Snes, Sega Mega Drive or Nintendo 64. So, tell me good things about the Jaguar. Why do you like it, some fond memories you have about this console. Be a salesman, pretend I don't know the Jaguar, try to sell it to me.

Usually, the Atari Jaguar isn't on people's top video game consoles list. It's not a mainstream console, like the Snes, Sega Mega Drive or Nintendo 64. So, tell me good things about the Jaguar. Why do you like it, some fond memories you have about this console. Be a salesman, pretend I don't know the Jaguar, try to sell it to me.

It's has the most accurate and precise controller ever made and the best Supercross game in existence. Not to mention the fastest, most reliable and durable CD unit to be assembled into consumer electronics.

Tempest 2000 is ok too, I guess.

• Like 9

It's been a while since I posted anything about the Jag; I sold all of my Jag stuff about a year & 1/2 ago. I did regret, however selling my "Skunkboards" thus I just got me a 3rd gen Skunk. I don't think I'll sell it again for a long time, but it is very pleasing to hear the Jag is getting a SD cartridge. Now I got to get another Jag system; those things are scarce and becoming as high as a Neo Geo system with a cartridge. Seems like the interest in the Jag has come back or surged or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...