IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

Skunkboards didn't come with a case. I didn't care. They fit in a standard cart shell. I still didn't care. Bought a Skunk. Will be buying a Saint cart. Don't like the 3D shell, don't buy one, or go off and make your own.

I would have paid $20 more if skunk had a case, but it didn't matter as the functionality is what's important.

Same here, except I'm very happy that jag won't be getting so much dust inside with SD card, like now from Skunk (as it's been plugged in for about 2 years straight with no cover).

It absolutely escapes me, how can a 3D printed case be such a problem, but I'm buying one/two for the unique functionality, not design...

I would sorta understand if there were 3 products on the market with same functionality and price, so the stupid case design would be a differentiating factor. But we ain't got no nothing here, so bitching about case is just so wow...

• Like 2

To be fair, I'm disappointed also... :)

But as many allude to, it's far from the end of the world. The main issue here is that it's a solidly engineered fully working piece of hardware, not an ornament.

I'll be doing another update in the next few days showing the new PCB in a physical case. I've some tweaking yet to do on the case, but this is the current design. I'm sure many wont like it, as it doesn't look like all the other Jaguar carts, but I don't try to mimic the Jaguar cases purposely, as there's no point trying to design a 3D printed case without using the right design methodology (otherwise it looks shit). So this is my take, using the things 3D printing does best, and some throw backs to other Atari hardware design. There will be a sticker on the top half of the front covering the screw holes.

attachicon.gifJagShell.png

Looks good enough for me. Will it come out shiney like your NeoGeo shell, or grainy? And just as my opinion, i think it would be nicer with the screws being screwed in from behind. Thats the one main thing i think Atari messed up with their cartridge design. It was probably intentional to keep people from opening them up, but it makes cleaning that much harder if you want a perfect label... On your cart i guess that wont be a thing since you will probably keep a label (if any) between the holes. But they would look nicer hidden away. Just my opinion, again.

Edited by grimm

Looks good enough for me. Will it come out shiney like your NeoGeo shell, or grainy? And just as my opinion, i think it would be nicer with the screws being screwed in from behind. Thats the one main thing i think Atari messed up with their cartridge design. It was probably intentional to keep people from opening them up, but it makes cleaning that much harder if you want a perfect label... On your cart i guess that wont be a thing since you will probably keep a label (if any) between the holes. But they would look nicer hidden away. Just my opinion, again.

I like shiny front faces to 3D prints, although I'm trying a ground glass type look atm. Although I'll switch back to shiny if I prefer it. :) Just happens to be how the printer is setup with a PEI sheet on the bed.

The holes are in the front intentionally so they can be covered by the label and make the case look nice and tidy with no holes. If people would prefer to be able to disassemble without buggering up the label, I can switch them to the rear and leave uncovered. I don't mind either way and can see benefits in both...

• Like 4

I like shiny front faces to 3D prints, although I'm trying a ground glass type look atm. Although I'll switch back to shiny if I prefer it. :) Just happens to be how the printer is setup with a PEI sheet on the bed.

The holes are in the front intentionally so they can be covered by the label and make the case look nice and tidy with no holes. If people would prefer to be able to disassemble without buggering up the label, I can switch them to the rear and leave uncovered. I don't mind either way and can see benefits in both...

I would personally prefer ease of access to screws from behind, but again not a deal breaker.

I'm assuming this may be buried somewhere in the thread, but is it too early to ask about a price and how these will be made available?

Around £100 was the estimate. There will be a sign-up for pre-order / interest on the retrohq website as there was for the NeoGeo Pocket before long... :)

• Like 3

Oh, please, people. Quit your bitchin' about the case. Just let the man do the thing he does. I'd get the board only if that were the only option. Then you can carve your own from jawbones of mammoths, or have it designed by a posh Italian designer and produced by blind monks in Tibet, whatever pleases your aesthetics and meets your budget.

• Like 5

Absolutely would prefer the screw holes not covered by the label. Mostly because any cartridge (including the original Jaguar design) that did otherwise inevitably gets puncture holes or indentations.

• Like 1

See? This is the first rule of the Jaguar community: if you want people to talk about your project, don't bother with the actual technical stuff. All that matters is the cart shell and the cardboard box.

Zerosquare, the label also matters. Cmon man, I expect more of you!

• Like 3