IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

I am a new member but have been on this site at least once a day for about a year. I had a Jaguar when it came out, sold it and then bought it again around 2002 or so. I sadly waited too long to get into collecting again and havent had the chance to play a lot of the titles in the jaguar library. I have only owned Wolf 3D, Doom, Kasumi Ninja, Cybermorph, AVP and Flashback. Needless to say, I am definitely going to be buying this cart when it is done. I bought an everdrive for my genesis 2 years ago, best investment ever. I want to play games not collect them. Count me in!

• Like 2

It's still too early for pre-orders, yet. ;)

Once it's basically finished, I will sort it out. At the moment it's very close in terms of cartridge and EEPROM emulation (next PCB should hopefully sort it -- waiting on that to arrive), but until it really is working as I want, there really is no point in taking any names. I will shout loudly when it's working... :D

Doing these flash carts was actually a decision to give me time to try and recuperate a bit, as I can make enough of a living to survive while both doing something I enjoy and also being able to manage my own time. So, in that sense, you can guarantee all my projects WILL happen, I just tend to work in short busts while I feel ok.

I find it hard to explain what's up with me. The symptoms are kindof chronic fatigue... although that is often associated with a viral infection kicking it off, which mine wasn't. It seems like I have a large portion of pathogenic flora in my gut, such that basically eating anything results in feeling like I've been poisoned. Different foods do different things, as do different supplements, exercise, etc... but I've yet to manage to get back to anything resembling "well" for more than a few months in the last 4-5 years. Sadly this area of knowledge about the human body is in its infancy, so doctors are absolutely worthless, and "alternative" healthcare (in my experience) seems to be based more on magic than science. So, yeah, it's more than frustrating...

But in a way, being like this has allowed me to concentrate on and make these bits of electronics a reality. So, I dunno, you try and brings positives out of a shit situation!

Have you checked for Lyme Disease? A friend of mine had similar symptoms and after several years finally figured out that's what it was.

• Like 2

Long long long time lurker, first time poster.

Amazing work SainT, such a great project. Sorry to hear about your ailment, hope things improve for you.

Looking forward to the release of the pre-order thread, I'm definitely going to put my name down on the order list!

I have a question about the SD cartridge for the Jaguar. We know that the cartridges for the system constantly need to be cleaned. Will this be a problem for the SD cartridge? I assume no, but I am also thinking about the cartridge port as well. I am thinking that leads on the cartridge will have better material so they will not need to be cleaned as much. I am by no means downing the product. By all means, I am psyched for it. Especially, for example, the CD BIOS that will be in it. It does look impressive, no doubt, and I would love to get a completed version of it someday. Even if it were released now, though, money's tight. But, it is on my wish list. Thanks and keep up the impressive work! :)

I have a question about the SD cartridge for the Jaguar. We know that the cartridges for the system constantly need to be cleaned. Will this be a problem for the SD cartridge? I assume no, but I am also thinking about the cartridge port as well. I am thinking that leads on the cartridge will have better material so they will not need to be cleaned as much. I am by no means downing the product. By all means, I am psyched for it. Especially, for example, the CD BIOS that will be in it. It does look impressive, no doubt, and I would love to get a completed version of it someday. Even if it were released now, though, money's tight. But, it is on my wish list. Thanks and keep up the impressive work! :)

Safe to say this PCB will be no different than any other Jag cart. However, I know when I get mine (I'm already on the pre-order list) it will permanently live in the Jag so I don't expect any contact issues. That being said, I have owned my Jags since their 1994 release and have never had an issue with a non-working cart.

• Like 3

Safe to say this PCB will be no different than any other Jag cart. However, I know when I get mine (I'm already on the pre-order list) it will permanently live in the Jag so I don't expect any contact issues. That being said, I have owned my Jags since their 1994 release and have never had an issue with a non-working cart.

Right. Neither have I. All my carts from 1994 on work. Even my CDs are still working. I just need to clean them once in a while to prevent oxidation or corrosion on the carts, and scratching on the discs. But, that being said, the games (well, the cartridges anyway) are still very durable, and I know that the SD cartridge will be as well. OK. I am sold. Thanks. :)

Edited by jericho_21

Oh Jesus Christ, the poor Jaguar never had a chance.

What are you talking about? Look, I was not downing the Jag. You got me wrong, and I refuse to argue about it. Cartridges get dirty just like anything else on any platform. It happens with NES, SNES, and, sometimes, Genesis. I even had to clean an A5200 cartridge of my own. It worked afterwards. So, yes, they do get dirty over time. Yes. They do need to cleaned from time-to-time. I have experienced that scenario with more than one game system. I am not saying that the Atari Jaguar was ever inferior. That never came out of my mouth. Or, from my keyboard. So, chill.

Edited by jericho_21

Oxidation levels can be affected by various things like high humidity. So yeah, if you keep your Jaguar in a sweat lodge, you will have to clean the contacts regulalry. I have never had to clean mine, though I tried on my Power Drive Rally cartrdige, but it is like a weird case where I think the PCB is not long enough, if I push the cart in all the way, it won't load. If I very carefully push it in most of the way, it works fine. Odd, eh? Only that one cartridge, and it does it both on the Jag and JagCD.

• Like 4

Oxidation levels can be affected by various things like high humidity. So yeah, if you keep your Jaguar in a sweat lodge, you will have to clean the contacts regulalry. I have never had to clean mine, though I tried on my Power Drive Rally cartrdige, but it is like a weird case where I think the PCB is not long enough, if I push the cart in all the way, it won't load. If I very carefully push it in most of the way, it works fine. Odd, eh? Only that one cartridge, and it does it both on the Jag and JagCD.

Huh. That is weird. Just Power Drive Rally, huh? That could be the case, about the PCB I mean. Interesting.

Edited by jericho_21

I dont find that original carts need cleaning much at all, as they have gold plated contacts -- this will be the same for the Jag cart. So really, it will be the same as any other cart. The only difference is, you will never need to remove this one (ok, apart from the Reboot carts!)... just take out the memory card from the top if you need to add any more games. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 9