IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

Can you put an emulator on the cart so I can play 3DO and Sega CD games? Thanks a bunch!

How about PS4 and Xbox One emulation as well ?

I have to admit I don't get the joke.

He’s been a member since 2011 - so I sure hope he’s joking.

• Like 2

Joke or not, I really don't understand the desire to emulate old systems on old systems. If you're emulating anyway, just use some modern hardware, it will be way easier to develop, more likely to run well, and you can use whatever controller you want with adapters.

I do like that my everdrive GBA can play NES and Master System games, but that's because it is portable and nice to have in one thing I can carry. The emulation also isn't perfect so I still prefer the real things and honestly don't use it much, it is more of a parlor trick to show off than anything I game with.

In any case I hope all CD related efforts go toward Jag CD support. Worry about the non Jag features after the main ones work.

Edited by Hastor

Perhaps a reference to the feature creep that seems to be keeping this project in eternal limbo. :)

There's been no feature creep which has delayed this, just all my other commitments. I've literally had no time to work on the JagSD in about a month or more. As mentioned before though, things are easing up come the new year so I can get stuck back into it. There really is very little needs doing to get this into production now, without cd support initially.

• Like 11

Joke?

You're expecting the Jaguar to emulate a system barely a generation removed in the Sega CD, as well as a more powerful system than itself in the 3DO. So that's why I was asking what the joke was. I feel like I'm missing something. Of course, I suppose...

giphy.gif

• Like 2

The CD support is what I was specifically referring to but I see that was mentioned as a planned feature almost 2½ years ago... sorry about that, my mistake. :)

Holy cow, has it taken that long?! Lol, I need to get some support on making and shipping these carts out! I have been chatting with someone about this... so I'm hoping the new year will bring lots of good things for RetroHQ. Well, and everyone else, as I can start shipping things in larger volume!

• Like 16

Joke or not, I really don't understand the desire to emulate old systems on old systems. If you're emulating anyway, just use some modern hardware, it will be way easier to develop, more likely to run well, and you can use whatever controller you want with adapters.

I do like that my everdrive GBA can play NES and Master System games, but that's because it is portable and nice to have in one thing I can carry. The emulation also isn't perfect so I still prefer the real things and honestly don't use it much, it is more of a parlor trick to show off than anything I game with.

In any case I hope all CD related efforts go toward Jag CD support. Worry about the non Jag features after the main ones work.

I just think it'd be cool to be able to play all Atari games on Atari's 'Last Stand' console. And realistically, the Jag should be able to handle, 2600, 5200, 7800 and Lynx games, right?

Holy cow, has it taken that long?! Lol, I need to get some support on making and shipping these carts out! I have been chatting with someone about this... so I'm hoping the new year will bring lots of good things for RetroHQ. Well, and everyone else, as I can start shipping things in larger volume!

This would be awesome! Ha, doesn't seem like it's been that long since I've been following this thread, but it sure has been a long while...

I just think it'd be cool to be able to play all Atari games on Atari's 'Last Stand' console. And realistically, the Jag should be able to handle, 2600, 5200, 7800 and Lynx games, right?

This would be awesome! Ha, doesn't seem like it's been that long since I've been following this thread, but it sure has been a long while...

Sounds like that might fall under a future firmware update if it proves possible.

It would still be limited as far as supporting trackballs, or the 5200's standard analog stick. While you might be able to pull it off, it would have plenty of caveats that are easily avoided just by using a Pi or PC, and wouldn't require new software development just to do something you can already do elsewhere. I do agree it would be neat, but I'd much rather see that effort be put into something that does something new, like a 7800 flashcart (or one for any system that doesn't have one). However, if SainT makes these, others should be able to develop whatever they want to run on them, so I wouldn't be against it. I'm still not gonna play an emulation via Jag when I can fire up another Atari machine for 100% compatibility. I think it is safe to say most classic gaming enthusiasts that would be in the forums here and into flashcarts, probably already own a few generations of Atari consoles. The only place I'm really lacking is 7800. I have a system and a couple games but no controllers or cables. That will be the last Atari console I've got to dig into (and can already enjoy it via multiple emulators).

I'm all fine with getting an old system to do tricks, I just wouldn't want SainT putting off other things that can do something new because of any of this, and it doesn't sound like he would. In the end, I hope he does what makes him the happiest (after CD support is done lol). I DO love running software on the original hardware it was made for, but I don't mind if the cartridge delivering said data is new or old.

Edited by Hastor

:-) That's what US Americans think is "fast" ;-)

We use miles....not that inferior French measuring system created to make Napoleon feel good about his shortcomings... :)

Miles were good enough for the Roman and British Empires so it's still good enough for us here in 'Merica. So it's 88 mph! And if one wishes to mock Americans about what we consider - or can handle - as fast, I'd like to point out that Volkswagen USA has to fight with Volkswagen proper back in Germania over the size of cup holders because apparently German drivers can't drink from large cups while driving on the Autobahn. Funny, I've driven my 2004 New Beetle Turbo at 130 mph while drinking from a very large American soda cup on my way to Oregon from NorCal...

• Like 2

We use miles....not that inferior French measuring system created to make Napoleon feel good about his shortcomings... :)

Miles were good enough for the Roman and British Empires so it's still good enough for us here in 'Merica. So it's 88 mph! And if one wishes to mock Americans about what we consider - or can handle - as fast, I'd like to point out that Volkswagen USA has to fight with Volkswagen proper back in Germania over the size of cup holders because apparently German drivers can't drink from large cups while driving on the Autobahn. Funny, I've driven my 2004 New Beetle Turbo at 130 mph while drinking from a very large American soda cup on my way to Oregon from NorCal...

We in Germany do not need large cups. The next stop is only 50km (30miles) away, so within 15min ;-) No chance to empty a big cup.

So Oregon is a state of the free (at least speed-wise)?

• Like 2

We in Germany do not need large cups. The next stop is only 50km (30miles) away, so within 15min ;-) No chance to empty a big cup.

So Oregon is a state of the free (at least speed-wise)?

Siskiyou County pretty much is due to the lack of enforcement for the most part. That's the county on the California side of the border. There's a lot of anti-Californianess in those parts because a lot of the locals have wanted to create their own State of Jefferson since even before WWII. You just have to slow down before zipping by the CHP station before the border. I got nailed there. The CHiPper told me "Son, the speed limit has never been 94 mph". After he wrote the ticket, I told him it was a good thing he didn't catch me at 130 mph. But in my defense, I had been driving in the low 90s but a semi truck got on my tail at that speed and I had to kick it up to put distance between myself and that crazy trucker. I swear, I felt like Dennis Weaver in Duel there for a few minutes.

But back to our regularly scheduled Jag SD Cart'in. :)

• Like 4

Napoleon was 5'7".

Vive le Kilomètre! :P

Napoleon was 5'7".

Vive le Kilomètre! :P

And his nemesis, the superior Iron Duke, was somewhere between 5'9" and over 6' tall. But that's not the shortcomings I was referring to. You can learn more about that by reading up on Giuseppina Grassini, lover to both...

Imperial! :)

And his nemesis, the superior Iron Duke, was somewhere between 5'9" and over 6' tall. But that's not the shortcomings I was referring to. You can learn more about that by reading up on Giuseppina Grassini, lover to both...

Imperial! :)

Hmmm... actual Emperor? or fair sized duke? :? I'd choose to be an emperor. I guess. But i don't have shortcomings so maybe someone would give his empire for that :D ...