IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

I'm doing lots of stuff in the background trying to sort out the website to have one central shop / pre-order place and also automate a load of the stuff going on for the shipping / order processing side. I've also got some help in making and shipping carts.

The theory is everything will begin to run more smoothly in coming months... ;)

ETA is Q1 2019.

So, not long.

• Like 29

The CD-BIOS is the software needed because it is the basic input/output system (or, BIOS) needed to run the Jag CD. Without that software, the emulator cannot recognize what system it is. I don't know, could you consider that a type of firmware? Maybe that is a noob question, but I do not know. But, anyway, all systems have a BIOS. Emulators need that software to mimic those systems. Otherwise, it cannot ascertain what the ROMs can be run under. That explains a bit, anyway. Even PCs and Macs have a BIOS, unless it is called something else on the Mac. :)

Edited by jericho_21

The CD-BIOS is the software needed because it is the basic input/output system (or, BIOS) needed to run the Jag CD. Without that software, the emulator cannot recognize what system it is. I don't know, could you consider that a type of firmware? Maybe that is a noob question, but I do not know. But, anyway, all systems have a BIOS. Emulators need that software to mimic those systems. Otherwise, it cannot ascertain what the ROMs can be run under. That explains a bit, anyway. Even PCs and Macs have a BIOS, unless it is called something else on the Mac. :)

That's not the question here. I'm asking why he can't just simulate, emulate the CD I/O. There's not so much of it. This way, anything accessing BUTCH will work fine.

That's not the question here. I'm asking why he can't just simulate, emulate the CD I/O. There's not so much of it. This way, anything accessing BUTCH will work fine.

Doesn't there need to be some translation between the raw bits on the disc and the executable code? I mean the bits on the disc aren't actually executable the way a ROM chip on a cartridge is are they? I would think you could get away with just replacing the CD I/O if you were to just replace the optical drive mechanism in an actual Jag CD, but you would still need the BIOS to act as a go-between, wouldn't you?

As has been said, it's already working, this is moot.

Trying to emulate a load of stuff you don't need for no real purpose is pointless -- the whole point of the BIOS is to provide an abstraction layer between the hardware and software to make exactly this kind of situation manageable.

Don't worry, it's all in hand. ;)

• Like 11

SainT has already put in an over-the-top amount of work to make a marginal catalogue of 50 or so original games run. Putting in the gargantuan effort to emulate Butch for 12 additional suckfests (no matter how good that F1 game is, the counterbalance is Highlander!) is totally not worth it when you can replace the BIOS :)

• Like 7

SainT has already put in an over-the-top amount of work to make a marginal catalogue of 50 or so original games run. Putting in the gargantuan effort to emulate Butch for 12 additional suckfests (no matter how good that F1 game is, the counterbalance is Highlander!) is totally not worth it when you can replace the BIOS :)

Hey now, don't forget Battlemorph and huuu it's counterbalance Baldies :P

• Like 1

Well in theory this will also load images you have released as skunk loadable as well, right? The advantage being it is possible to break the limit of only having two Tom's loaded at a time?

Well in theory this will also load images you have released as skunk loadable as well, right? The advantage being it is possible to break the limit of only having two Tom's loaded at a time?

I wouldn't bet on it. Those are skunk-only, if I'm not wrong...

If it's a CD BIOS replacement specifically for skunk related hardware, then no, it wont work. If its just cartridge based conversions, yes it will.

Yeah, I don't think any of the conversions have been CD Based. I have a skunk board, I just haven't ever gotten around to using it ha! and it'd be more convenient for sure to be able just toss the files on an SD card. So we'd have 50 some odd commercial releases, 15 some odd CD based ones, and the numerous conversions, right? That'd basically be the library of the Jag.