IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

SainT, sorry for asking again but can you please tell us more about status of CD emulation and what games runs now. I found that Baldies, Cybernoid and Batlemorph runs and this is really fantastic. Once you said now when bios is fully under your control, it should be possible to get all CD games working. Have you get time to test some other CD games? I'm most interested in Highlander. Sorry if you already answered that, i pass trought all 85 pages maybe i miss something :-)

I've not done anything further on the CD emulation yet. I've had to spend my time sorting out mundane things like the website / shop recently.

I'm currently tying up lose ends such that I can get carts out to the beta testing people. Nearly there -- should be a couple of days.

• Like 8

Here's an interesting concept;

If I recall, you have Wifi on the cart. Using standard openSSL, and maybe a light embedded browser, couldn't we effectively have a JagStore built (like on AtariAge or something?) and have digital downloads purchasable through that? Would make it so we wouldn't have to type in a huge unique ID. Granted with the way the web is and vulnerabilities all the time, we may need a nice update method for the libraries/app. But we could in essence have a PS Store / Steam style set up.

Not that I expect a flood of games coming in, but could be cool for some of the ST ports, etc.

Using standard openSSL, and maybe a light embedded browser, couldn't we effectively have a JagStore built (like on AtariAge or something?) and have digital downloads purchasable through that? Would make it so we wouldn't have to type in a huge unique ID. Granted with the way the web is and vulnerabilities all the time, we may need a nice update method for the libraries/app. But we could in essence have a PS Store / Steam style set up.

Would you really want to pay for the upkeep such a system needs through higher prices for downloads? And who should run such a store?

Would you really want to pay for the upkeep such a system needs through higher prices for downloads? And who should run such a store?

I already suggested AtariAge who already has a store. We all pay a bit to Valve for Steam, so why not? Homebrew would actually have a MUCH better chance at getting an audience, vs some post on a facebook group, or a forum post.

I own it and have never played it, because I don't want to take out the JagCD anymore. So I too am looking forward to being able to try it and being disappointed.

Highlander is a strange, plodding experience that is a lot like how video games appear in your nightmares.

The unfair lack of control is unnerving and fascinating. The graphics are disorienting. The animated sequences evoke an awkward time in our culture.

It's kind of got everything going for it, just all in a negative direction. Really hope this hardware will enable more people to experience this... It's kind of unique really.

• Like 2

On 6/4/2019 at 11:34 PM, leech said:

If I recall, you have Wifi on the cart. Using standard openSSL, and maybe a light embedded browser, couldn't we effectively have a JagStore built (like on AtariAge or something?) and have digital downloads purchasable through that? Would make it so we wouldn't have to type in a huge unique ID. Granted with the way the web is and vulnerabilities all the time, we may need a nice update method for the libraries/app. But we could in essence have a PS Store / Steam style set up.

Not that I expect a flood of games coming in, but could be cool for some of the ST ports, etc.

Yeah, I had thought that from the beginning. I.e. connecting to an FTP or whatever to download games. But when you can just download them all and stick them on a memory card.... it seems like a lot of work for little return. There is no wifi as standard either -- it's just something I added for possible future use. I've not looked at it any further.

Again, its one of those features a handful of people may use. I develop for the masses -- if a feature will be used by 90% of the people buying the cart, I consider it a must. If it's just 5%..... not so much.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 4

Again, its one of those features a handful of people may use. I develop for the masses -- if a feature will be used by 90% of the people buying the cart, I consider it a must. If it's just 5%..... not so much.

I agre, puting games on any sd cart take about 5-6 seconds of job. Cool feature but wasting of time in this moment.

I would like it to run everything BUT Highlander.

Rugar's in for a real shit sandwich.

That game is wretched.

I have feel that this is voting for "Game of the year" or some Metacritics shit. We trolling this thred about did Highlander is good or bad game but this is not point. Highlander is one of 5 games where we have to invest about 1,000 $ to play them (console + JagCD), and SainT opens the opportunity to experience this for a lot less money. He already make Battlemorph to run and i cross fingers for Blue Lighting, Hover Strike, Iron Solider and Hightlander.

Yes, I seriously hope there will be a solution for just buying the roms of recent years homebrews. I want to support homebrew but I am not a collector in that sense and really don't need/want to pay for expensive cartridges and fancy boxes. And honestly, these things also has a tendency to push the price of the homebrews into territories that they are simply not worth.

I've not done anything further on the CD emulation yet. I've had to spend my time sorting out mundane things like the website / shop recently.

I'm currently tying up lose ends such that I can get carts out to the beta testing people. Nearly there -- should be a couple of days.

I kept my JagCD as a substitute for your wondrous new device. I bet people interested in homebrew dev are doing the same. So, needless to say, not a high priority for me :)

I must be sick in the head, I actually enjoyed Highlander. Yet I can't seem to get far enough into the original Resident Evil without wanting to smash something because of the annoying camera angles.

That's intentional. To allow jump scares and anxiety from not being able to track enemies.

That's intentional. To allow jump scares and anxiety from not being able to track enemies.

Yeah, but the controls are every bit as clunky as Highlander was. At least I thought so. Highlander was one of the few games I completed on the Jaguar, could be due to wanting some sort of Adventure / RPG game, but the Jag never really had anything else close.

Yeah, but the controls are every bit as clunky as Highlander was. At least I thought so. Highlander was one of the few games I completed on the Jaguar, could be due to wanting some sort of Adventure / RPG game, but the Jag never really had anything else close.

The controls are actually pretty smooth in RE, by which I mean that the game will always do what you want it to do. Some people complain about the tank controls, but there is really no other option when using fixed camera angles. I can't imagine how unplayable RE would be without tank controls.

• Like 1

The controls are actually pretty smooth in RE, by which I mean that the game will always do what you want it to do. Some people complain about the tank controls, but there is really no other option when using fixed camera angles. I can't imagine how unplayable RE would be without tank controls.

I more like controls with analog controller. Good example is Sega Saturn game Deep Fear who have same "tank" controls but only if you use standard controller. I was very surprised when I bought Saturn 3D analog controller, comands is much better, we have options to swich on analog and then we do not have tank rotation, you go where you push analog and it is much better in my option. I do not know did RE have this option. Highlander reminds me very much on Ecstatica, Bioforge, Alone in the Dark, Dark Earth, Time Gate...

• Like 1

As a fan of two of the four (maybe five?) Highlander movies I thought it would be fun in concept. I found the game marked down at Walmart to something like $7.50 so I figured even though I had never seen the cartoon (actually I didn't realize the cartoon even existed before I bought the Jag CD game) it would be worth checking out, and at very least give me something to do with my nearly useless Jag CD - I think the only other game I had at the time was Hover Strike. I even sprang for the Memory Track so I could save my immortal beheading progress. Pretty sure the first time I played it the clumsy controls caused me to keep accidentally triggering a transition to the next screen, which, of course, had to be loaded from the disc every single time. I remember getting killed over and over and over by that first enemy because the controls were such crap and when I finally beat him, I was immediately lost and had no idea what to do next. I fired it up about a year ago and the same basic thing happened. At least it has a nice FMV intro sequence.

• Like 1

Another 'sicko' here - I liked (and completed) Highlander as well. I will admit though, it is a different bird of a game and getting the hang of the controls, while neither ideal nor intuitive, is possible and once one does get used to them, Highlander is pretty playable.

Edited by mckafka99

I more like controls with analog controller. Good example is Sega Saturn game Deep Fear who have same "tank" controls but only if you use standard controller. I was very surprised when I bought Saturn 3D analog controller, comands is much better, we have options to swich on analog and then we do not have tank rotation, you go where you push analog and it is much better in my option. I do not know did RE have this option. Highlander reminds me very much on Ecstatica, Bioforge, Alone in the Dark, Dark Earth, Time Gate...

I just hanged my old Ecstatica poster two weeks ago and never finished the game back in the day, i've put it aside but i'll try again, the atmosphere is cool and the enemies are quite stressing.