IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

29 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Just re-checked and my controller has spinner and dpad so I'm good. The Spinner interestingly operates the Tempest menu as well as the dpad.

That's cool, I hadn't seen one with both. Does the dpad control the game in spinner mode? If so it might just be emulating the spinner signals.

Btw, if you only have a spinner (and just realized a dpad) with no second controller, is it just a Tempest machine? I'd understand that, but don't understand what you'd get out of the flash cart. Only Tempest and a couple homebrew games even use the spinner.

Edited by Hastor

Well, if the dpad won't work to correctly control games, then I'll buy a second, normal pro controller.  I assumed this controller could do both but haven't tested it yet.  Yes, this machine only came with Tempest, but back in the day, I bought the Jaguar and the CD new off the shelf and had quite a few games for it.  Sadly I sold that collection long ago.

Here's a pic of the controller. I've never opened it to check the mod out though.

jagpadspinner.png

Nice, both on one is cool. Mine has the spinner in the d-pad's place, but it does cycle the circle through a rainbow of led colors! I've also got several regular and two 6-button controllers. Everything I need but a CD drive (which maybe I won't need if we're lucky).

8 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I assumed the spinner could cycle through the menu entries.  Just curious, what is the reason that precludes the spinner cycling clockwise->down / counter-clockwise->up the menu items?

Just re-checked and my controller has spinner and dpad so I'm good. The Spinner interestingly operates the Tempest menu as well as the dpad.

Left / right are used for other purposes, and the spinner encodes motion using a quadrature encoding method using l and r, so you’d need to switch to a spinner mode for use. It could be as simple as hitting a number on the pad to switch, however.

Not quite sure how useful it would be given only one game uses the spinner... if you only have a spinner controller you may as well just put T2K in the machine and be done!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SainT said:

Not quite sure how useful it would be given only one game uses the spinner... if you only have a spinner controller you may as well just put T2K in the machine and be done!

Not entirely true (though T2k has indeed been fixed to my machine for the past couple of years at least), one of the reasons I look forward to ordering a cart is to try the homebrew games with spinner support. A number pad solution would be perfect!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, juanluma01 said:

I too have death screen with Battlesphere Gold and Air Cars.

The other roms I play work perfect.

Thank you very much Saint for make ours dreams a reality.

Interesting, those are both Catnet networking games. I wonder if that is a coincidence. Or just bad ROMs.

Mitch

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

Interesting, those are both Catnet networking games. I wonder if that is a coincidence. Or just bad ROMs.

Mitch

Doom has networking and it runs on the JagSD cart but the code for the networking wasn't made by Thunderbird. Thunderbird did the networking code for BS/BSG and Air Cars. 

45 minutes ago, walter_J64bit said:

Doom has networking and it runs on the JagSD cart but the code for the networking wasn't made by Thunderbird. Thunderbird did the networking code for BS/BSG and Air Cars. 

Yes, I know. That is why I specifically referenced the Catnet networking. :)

As opposed to Atari Jaglink networking.

Mitch

On 8/27/2019 at 6:11 PM, GoldenGraham said:

Mortified! Instead of seeing my JagSD Cart on my door step on my return from work today, I got a "We missed you" card from Royal Mail :( .  It needs a signature so I've rearranged delivery for Thursday, bummer!  Once I have it my report will be with you SainT :) Sorry, just wanted to share my pain with you guys! ;)

Received my JagSD cart yesterday (phew!), many thanks for a thoroughly professional and much needed product SainT.  You have most definitely secured your seat with the Atari gods in the next life ;)  and you deserve every penny you get from this project in this life.  The cart looks amazing and feels 'reassuringly' heavy.  The interface is fantastic especially when used with MRQ files... I'd love to see a similar interface for the LynxSD.  Looking forward to seeing your first efforts at a new Jag game SainT !  JagSD will breathe many years of new life and interest into my Jag.  Looking forward to seeing what kind of things happen with JagSD... once all 600-700 people get their hands on one.

I've been collecting ROM files of the carts I have for years whilst waiting for JagSD.  The vast majority of them work fine which is more than I'd ever have hoped.   Occasionally I come across a random graphics/sound demo ROM or such like that gives the red screen of death... but most probably they are duff roms or unsupported file type.  It would be useful to add a list of supported ROM file types to page 1 of this thread (.jag, .j64, .rom).   I haven't checked all of the main ROMS yet but the only one of any significance at this stage I've found doesn't work is 'Aircars (world)' which gives the red screen of death.  Save games in PowerDrive worked fine for me but then I was using the mrq files that someone posted here.  I'll apply the fix for this when I get a mo, thanks SainT.  I'll keep you posted about any other issues I see SainT... but all looks great after day 1, very impressed.

Does anybody have any tips/links on the whereabouts of harder to come by cart ROMS such as BS, IS2, Towers2, Worms, Zero5, Breakout2000 ?

Does anybody know what [a1] or [a2] means in some ROM file names...?

20190829_122732.thumb.jpg.60d66c8e12c93b4747180b07338876bb.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GoldenGraham said:

Does anybody know what [a1] or [a2] means in some ROM file names...?

Alternate dumps, quite often bad ones!

The homebrew is the dodgiest to load, you will get very varied results. Some of it is setup for the skunk and does things which crash, other stuff there isnt actually any information about load and execution address, so they are really just useless unless that info is known. The default for those is $4000, which is sometimes right, but not always.

If you get a red screen on one ROM and others work, the ROM is definitely bad!

• Like 1