IGNORED

Upcoming Jaguar Game Drive Cartridge

SainT

No, there's no issue -- there's just no point, really.

With the cart in the JagCD, you wont be able to use CD emulation on the cart.

hehe, I'd mainly planned on using the SD cart for random things like Checkered Flag's steering patch, BitJag's christmas card and any trial / demo stuff I can't get from the creators on cart or CD. So it works for me. = ) Never did have a skunkboard. Thank you for the response!

hehe, I'd mainly planned on using the SD cart for random things like Checkered Flag's steering patch, BitJag's christmas card and any trial / demo stuff I can't get from the creators on cart or CD. So it works for me. = ) Never did have a skunkboard. Thank you for the response!

Since I have for the most part every cart I want or need, I would be getting it for the fact I could use it for the CD games or homebrew things since I don't have a Jag CD unit!

• Like 1

I've hit a dead end on the EEPROM support until I get a new PCB made (you can't DMA from a GPIO register! d'oh!), so I've moved onto the CD emulation. I seem to have found the final version of the CD BIOS source code on the AtariHQ CD archive, which is quite amazing. I thought I'd have to disassemble the final version and compare with the source and all sorts to hack in the calls for the JagSD CD emulation, but I've just compared the binary data from the CD BIOS on the 'net to the ABS files in the source archive and they match. I've also compiled one of the ABS files from source and get a binary identical version.

Fuckin' ace! :grin:

So first up is getting everything compiling from source and producing a binary identical version of the CD BIOS (including VLM etc...) then I can modify the CD related bits to do what they need to for the JagSD.

• Like 13

Actually, would you even need to do that? As you can run carts while the CD is present... how do you do that? I dont actually have one, so I have no idea! :) If it's a button press, then you probably could have a JagSDCD running on the JagCD.... :)

Actually, would you even need to do that? As you can run carts while the CD is present... how do you do that? I dont actually have one, so I have no idea! :) If it's a button press, then you probably could have a JagSDCD running on the JagCD.... :)

Then i mustve misunderstood what you said previously. I read it as you couldnt run the sd cart for cd games if it was plugged into the cd player unit.

Then i mustve misunderstood what you said previously. I read it as you couldnt run the sd cart for cd games if it was plugged into the cd player unit.

No, you read correctly, that was my first thought. But if you can run carts just fine with the JagCD plugged in, I think it should be ok as it will replace the CD BIOS. I'll find out when I get it working... ;)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 1

I've hit a dead end on the EEPROM support until I get a new PCB made (you can't DMA from a GPIO register! d'oh!), so I've moved onto the CD emulation. I seem to have found the final version of the CD BIOS source code on the AtariHQ CD archive, which is quite amazing. I thought I'd have to disassemble the final version and compare with the source and all sorts to hack in the calls for the JagSD CD emulation, but I've just compared the binary data from the CD BIOS on the 'net to the ABS files in the source archive and they match. I've also compiled one of the ABS files from source and get a binary identical version.

Fuckin' ace! :grin:

So first up is getting everything compiling from source and producing a binary identical version of the CD BIOS (including VLM etc...) then I can modify the CD related bits to do what they need to for the JagSD.

Not to derail this thread, but I thought only the code for the BIOS was out there, not the source for the VLM?

On 10/4/2017 at 2:25 PM, Stephen said:

Not to derail this thread, but I thought only the code for the BIOS was out there, not the source for the VLM?

VLM hooks into the CD front end code, so with any luck I wont need to modify anything inside VLM. All code for the BIOS is indeed out there, but just the ABS (binary) for VLM is there. The CD front end code modifies values inside the VLM code directly from a callback.

Also, I now have a complete build from source of the CD boot ROM (which includes the VLM binary) which is binary exact to the release ROM. All source from the Atari HQ CD was final apart from the CD bios which I updated from a disassembly of the ROM to match.

So now I need to modify the CD boot ROM to read from the memory card card rather than CD.

Edited by SainT
  • Like 6

Well, I like having real games. Especially if I can get the boxes to sit on my shelf. ;-)

You and me both :P

The thought of playing BattleMorph without the CD attachment overheating is awesome. When I did my walkthrough back 2014, it cut off quite a few times. Soon I had small fans blowing into every vent around the Jaguar and CD attachment I could find. One underneath too. Now, should be no prob :cool:

• Like 2

Well, I like having real games. Especially if I can get the boxes to sit on my shelf. ;-)

I like real games too especially when it's cartridges so i still bought brand new games recently even so i'll be buying this SD cartridge cause it feels nice to have the object for some games. A bit like people collecting vinyls.

Some are too expensive for me though...

Im gonna add to this "real" vs downloaded roms, i too prefer physical media, even on modern game systems. But i will still get this sd cart. It will save on wear and tear on the cd system to play cd games, and it will be more convenient to play other games when im not bothered about a highscore being saved. I am still gonna buy new games i want to add to the collection, just like i have after i got the skunkboard to decide if a game is worth the asking price. Especially interesting titles from the homebrew scene.

• Like 2

There weren't that many Jaguar CD units made (100,000?). I know mine failed, and I just don't have the money to replace it at current prices. Sooner or later, most of those JagCD units will fail long before the Jags themselves do (mine is still going strong). This will be a great way to keep playing those games that will otherwise be lost to the ether as the ravages of time take their toll.

• Like 2

There weren't that many Jaguar CD units made (100,000?). I know mine failed, and I just don't have the money to replace it at current prices. Sooner or later, most of those JagCD units will fail long before the Jags themselves do (mine is still going strong). This will be a great way to keep playing those games that will otherwise be lost to the ether as the ravages of time take their toll.

+1

Game, film, and music preservation is sadly something that's often left up to fans/hobbyists to prevent specific media from just vanishing forever. I used to have a large Jaguar collection and am now trying to build it back up slowly, but knowing that SainT is going to spare some people the time and cost of pursuing a Jag CD and some of the more expensive games out there is just incredible.

I don't mind pulling games down of the shelves every once in a while, but I also get a kick out of just showing my kids a retro Mickey game or two on my Pi 3 that I don't own the cartridge/CD for. Sadly, I can't show them a lot of Jag games because some of the great/rare ones aren't emulated very well yet.

• Like 3

Was it that many? I thought it was more of something like 25,000 at best.

The numbers I had heard at one point was 250,000 Jaguars and like 10,000 CD units. Not sure how accurate that is. Remwmber how one of the "selling factors" they touted was that it was made in America and manufactured by IBM?

IBM the OEM

Atari will also push the envelope in another way, turning its back on tra-

ditional East Asian manufacturing sites and calling on IBM to build Jaguar.

IBM, working with a 30-month contract worth $500 million, will be res-

ponsible for component sourcing, quality testing, console assembly,

packaging and distribution, and will build the system at its Charlotte,

N.C. facility. The motherboard will come from an IBM-approved manufacturer,

said Herbert Watkins, director of application solutions manufacturing at

IBM Charlotte.

Wow, when Atari had money to make 500 million dollar deals?

Edited by leech