IGNORED

A New Marauder

Carpenter

DO WANT! And link plz... :D

I still can't get past the fact this cart features a new game every time you plug it in. Amazing...

I plan to do a full video review of this game later, but wanted to point out a few things after having played it quite a bit the past two days...

The goal for the patch is pretty intense! My best game so far has only been like 24k or so and most of it was luck at that. The enemies get really crazy on their speed and number of them at once on screen. I even expierenced a little slowdown during the 3rd planet where you fly in the ship because there were about 4 enemies on the screen at once, plus me. Point is, getting 99,990 is going to be really...really...really hard to do!

Other thing is that I wish the enemies on the first planet were a brighter color. On my CRT the dark green of their color makes them and their like colored bullets difficult to see sometimes. The enemies on all other levels are a much better contrasting color and much easier to see.

The random game on each power on. This is only partially true. The game features 4 distinct sets of mazes. The manual breaks these out as each being a different planet. When you power cycle the atari, you will switch between the planets and they rotate in order. From there the maze layouts appear to always be the same on the first game you play, but then after destroying the central core on each planet, the mazes will then change. If you have played the original Marauder you will know that the maze entrances and exits change around a bit each time you defeat the current maze and go to the next. The same mechanic is used here. The biggest difference is that each planet has different enemy sprites and the mazes are totally different. I think I prefer the ship level (Planet 3), and the last planet the most as I feel there is more room and less confusion from maze to maze. Plus the enemies are bigger and make for easier targets.

Still I just wanted to clarify how the power on cycle process works. The select switch will increase difficulty for the current planet that has loaded up. But to change planets, you power cycle the atari. So either way it is a really cool feature and having the different planets and thus maze layouts to cycle through does add to the game considerably.

• Like 3

Work has kept me from devoting some real playing time, however the little that I have played has me grinning from ear to ear. The game looks and plays well. I really like the level designs and as already mentioned, I too like that you get a new game by rebooting. As the unboxing video's show, the game is packaged extremely well. You won't have to worry about the box getting creased during delivery.

Lastly, I also can't say enough about the quality of the materials, (actual carts, label, manuals etc.) that went into this production. This is a very nice CIB package.

More Work's has come out of the gate strong with this effort and I look forward to their future releases.

Thanks. :)

Thanks for the clarification on the power cycle Cro§Bow.

Edited by sramirez2008
  • Like 1

Work has kept me from devoting some real playing time, however the little that I have played has me grinning from ear to ear. The game looks and plays well. I really like the level designs and as already mentioned, I too like that you get a new game by rebooting. As the unboxing video's show, the game is packaged extremely well. You won't have to worry about the box getting creased during delivery.

Honestly packed a little too well. The CIB is inside a small box which is inside a larger shipping box. Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of packing things well, but perhaps had the OP used the smaller inner box for shipping, the fees for international delivery may have been cheaper. I nearly passed on this title do to the shipping surcharge, but at the last minute decided it was a must have thanks to the ingenious ROM swapping on boot. My inquisitive electronics brain would love to know how the mapper in this cart operates! ;-)

I would like to thank Marino Mux, Kosmic Stardust, sramirez2008, masematte, CrossBow, TomBrazil and other buyers for all the feedback received and videos made. You are great!

On the shipping, we actually used the simplest (and cheaper) shipping method available in Brazil but I am aware that it is still expensive for USA standards.

We had to make sure the game did not get any scratch, because even a little bending or mark on the box could ruin customer experience. So it was necessary to use double packaging to make sure the game would survive standard mail services handling.

We experimented with different boxes and protections to make sure the final package was below 500 g, the maximum weight for the cheapest fee.

I can assure you guys are paying the minimum shipping while having the best possible protection.

We do care about details! :-)

• Like 4

I will defend Carpenter on regards to the shipping because as my video demonstrates, had mine NOT been double boxed, it is very likely the actual box that my game came in would have been dented and not in very good shape had it only been shipped in the smaller box. So as far as I'm concerned, for the money spent on this release...it was money very well spent!

Carpenter and the rest of the More Works Games crew....feel free to double box anytime!

• Like 2

Hi MacrosCode

ANM, as it was implemented, uses a hw states pseudo bankswitching scheme.

Emulators and Harmony have to be patched to support this behavior or else some gameplay will not work.

Yes, there is a chance of releasing the ROM in the future but now we would like see more people having fun with consoles :-)

Thanks for asking!

• Like 2

Is there a chance to see "A new Marauder" work on an emulator like Stella?

Will it work with a harmony cartridge?

The ROM will need to be split in four pieces. This game cart is literally four ROMs on one cart.

It works something like this because Carpenter told me: Little magic unicorns rotate a turnstile inside the cartridge every time the power is cycled. This turnstile is connected to portals containing the four distinct game worlds. So the busy little unicorns basically transport your VCS to a new world with every power cycle. The magic dust contained in the PCB was obtained from an enchanted realm, so if you open the cart, the unicorns will escape and enchant you with a terrible hex. Tampering not recommended!

Okay maybe not. Just let it be known that the cart has magic on the inside. :lolblue:

• Like 3

Thanks for the answers.

@Carpenter:

Of course the best way would be to have the physical cartridge to play! :)

But to check out the gameplay an emulator like Stella is quite helpful.

Like me - as a newbie in the VCS world - the emulator is the only way to play a game (for the moment).

Maybe some real hardware in the future...

@Kosmic Stardust:

I read about the splitted ROM here but did not know about the magical unicorns in there. :D

BTW:

I hope in the manual you can read:

"No unicorns were harmed by creating this game" ;)

Thanks for the answers.

@Carpenter:

Of course the best way would be to have the physical cartridge to play! :)

But to check out the gameplay an emulator like Stella is quite helpful.

Like me - as a newbie in the VCS world - the emulator is the only way to play a game (for the moment).

Maybe some real hardware in the future...

The ROM is divided into four games, so a proper Stella/Harmony release would have a zip archive containing something like

New Marauder A.bin

New Marauder B.bin

New Marauder C.bin

New Marauder D.bin

readme.txt

@Kosmic Stardust:

I read about the splitted ROM here but did not know about the magical unicorns in there. :D

BTW:

I hope in the manual you can read:

"No unicorns were harmed by creating this game" ;)

Well if he said "No Unicorns were harmed" in the manual he'd obviously be lying. Ground unicorn horn is expensive! :evil: :rolling:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys!

I have good news for A New Maurader owners.

As a Christmas gift, MORE WORK Games is holding a contest about A New Maurader.

The winners will win prizes shipped at no cost anywehere in the world.

Check the instructions here:

If you have questions, just ask!

Enter the contest and good luck! icon_smile.gif
  • Like 1

Hi Keilbaca,

Unfortunately, only the full cartridge is available, but shipping can be made until Dec 26. After this date we will start shipping again on Jan 15!

If you want details, please PM me!

Is there a way we can just buy the rom?

I have Christmas weekend with absolutely no plans.

I want to earn my first patch (that isn't 30 years too late).

Edited by Carpenter

Hey guys!

I didn't understand the third rule: Send the video to the email (...), starting from January 15, 2017 (00 h 01 m, GMT -2).

When does the contest start? Can we play and achieve the maximum score before January 15?

• Like 1

Hey guys!

So we need to roll the score to be eligible? I'm out, LOL... :lol: :lolblue:

I wish you the best but don't be surprised if you get less than three (or no) entrants. A better way would be to run a high score contest and cut it off if/when once 3+ people roll the score. Then if nobody is able to roll the score, you'll still have your three winners.

Also since there are four games included on the cart (with an ingenious switching schematic) you have four unique game ROMs with which to attempt a roll over.

• Like 1

I didn't understand the third rule: Send the video to the email (...), starting from January 15, 2017 (00 h 01 m, GMT -2).

When does the contest start? Can we play and achieve the maximum score before January 15?

You are right, LidLikesIntellivision!

You can take the holidays to practice and we will start accepting results just on January 15.

This way you will have plenty of time to try to reach the maximum score!

Just do not forget to record your screen :-)

So we need to roll the score to be eligible? I'm out, LOL... icon_lol.gificon_laughingblue.gif

I wish you the best but don't be surprised if you get less than three (or no) entrants. A better way would be to run a high score contest and cut it off if/when once 3+ people roll the score. Then if nobody is able to roll the score, you'll still have your three winners.

Also since there are four games included on the cart (with an ingenious switching schematic) you have four unique game ROMs with which to attempt a roll over.

C'mon man! You can do it! :-)
Take Christmas morning to blow the dust of you 2600 and enter the contest!
The score is feasible and in fact it has already been reached by us. It just take some time to accomplish it.
You can pick any variation of the game you feel more comfortable or find easier to go through.
The user manual and hints webpage have invaluable information to help you hit the goal.
Your suggestions are good and will be taken in consideration. Thanks for the input.