IGNORED

Coming soon: New Apple II RPG by 6502 Workshop

6502_workshop

We are excited to introduce Nox Archaist, a new role playing game we are developing exclusively for the Apple II platform and emulators. Currently we are targeting a release date late this year. Nox Archaist will be available 100% free and the complete assembly source code will be posted on our blog.

One area that we have been kind of winging is tile graphics art. We would like to offer a chance for members of the retro gaming community to participate in the design of Nox Archaist while hopefully improving the final result and getting the game into your hands more quickly.
We are running a tile graphics contest!
The top three submitted tiles will be determined on 7-31-2016 and the winners will receive the benefits below:
*One custom in-game NPC named and based on input from the winner
*Copy of the initial release of Nox Archaist on 5.25” floppy disks
*Pre-release digital copy of Nox Archaist
*Printed manual
*Name mentioned in Nox Archaist game credits
*Announcement of winners on our blog and in this forum
*Any other goodies we can come up with
To participate, just send us one or more tile designs using the criteria provided at the link below. Submissions can be sent via email to contest@6502workshop.com.
Here is a link with contest details:
=====ABOUT NOX ARCHAIST=====
Nox Archaist is a 2D tile based fantasy RPG with a classic Apple II look and feel. We are taking advantage of the full 128k available on the IIe and later models which will help us create features and effects that may not have been seen in vintage 1980s Apple games. Our goal is to explore how gameplay might have advanced in tile-based RPGs if substantial development had continued on the Apple II platform past the late 1980s.
Game play videos and screenshots showing the current evolution of the Nox Archaist game engine are available below.
http://www.6502workshop.com- Nox Archaist website with our blog, current gameplay videos, screenshots, and gifs.
- Demo gameplay video featuring the current game engine.
- Demo gameplay video featuring sunrise/sunset and in-game clock features
  • Like 3

looks promising. will there be space travel? quests to complete? game editor? One program I loved to use was adventure construction set. made a ton of adventures with it. now I just need to find those again and replay them.

looks promising. will there be space travel? quests to complete? game editor? One program I loved to use was adventure construction set. made a ton of adventures with it. now I just need to find those again and replay them.

Thanks for your interest! There absolutely will be quests to complete. Our goal is to avoid the cookie cutter feel of many modern game quest while at the same time doing some new things that were not common in 1980s games.

We are not planning on space travel, instead going for more a pure sword and sorcery theme. No plans for A game editor with the initial release but it is something we may consider post-release if there is enough interest. Either way, we do plan on posting the full 6502 assembly source code to our blog (www.noxarchaist.com) after the initial release.

The one thing I remember about those early games is that stat generation was "too random". I played more games in the vein of Eamon back in the day, but your stats were usually a linear random value from X to Y, rather than a normalized random value in the range X to Y, and if your stats sucked you just suicided and started over.

Later games gave you a point pool or a point pool plus random fuzz, or sometimes a point pool plus normalized random fuzz. But a lot of those early games didn't either to save a few lines of code or because there just was no consideration for the weighted distribution of random results.

I'd even pay the price for a disk in a box! I'd pay even more for a IIgs sequel ;D I've been hooked.

I'm not so caught on the name though...

but I will be looking forward to this release for sure!!

Thanks for your interest and feedback! We are planning on offering a collector’s edition which would include a floppy version of the game and printed manual. If we can figure out the logistics in time, maybe even a cloth map and some bling.

• Like 2

The one thing I remember about those early games is that stat generation was "too random". I played more games in the vein of Eamon back in the day, but your stats were usually a linear random value from X to Y, rather than a normalized random value in the range X to Y, and if your stats sucked you just suicided and started over.

Later games gave you a point pool or a point pool plus random fuzz, or sometimes a point pool plus normalized random fuzz. But a lot of those early games didn't either to save a few lines of code or because there just was no consideration for the weighted distribution of random results.

Thanks for your interest and feedback! The character generation system will be one of the last things that we design so there is ample opportunity to consider suggestions.

I agree with you about stat generation in early games being too random. I never enjoyed spending all that time re-rolling and sometimes suiciding characters until I got a the party I wanted.
We’ll come up with something different for sure.
Mark

• 3 weeks later...