IGNORED

Any DIY arcade controls for 5200?

CZroe

I've googled a few times over the years but still haven't found what I'm looking for. I assume that it's harder to do than most consoles because the analog joystick makes it more difficult than simply wiring to some micro switches. Obviously the aftermarket controllers figured it out.

Basically, I have no controllers for my 4-port and rather than buying a bunch I thought I'd build my own. It's been a few years and I obviously still haven't due to having no idea how to similat the analog stick as four micro switches.

I just use a masterplay clone. And with that I use a playstation to megadrive/db9 adapter. With analog thumbstick on the playstation 1 controllers it works great. Only for pacman and a few others. Not missle command. But still a great option. And a masterplay clone lets me use a lot of other 2600 controllers like my space age which is pretty nice.

I just use a masterplay clone. And with that I use a playstation to megadrive/db9 adapter. With analog thumbstick on the playstation 1 controllers it works great. Only for pacman and a few others. Not missle command. But still a great option. And a masterplay clone lets me use a lot of other 2600 controllers like my space age which is pretty nice.

Yeah, but I'm looking for info about duplicating whatever it is that the MasterPlay does to make functional controllers from scratch. Is there seriously no documentation on how the controller interface works for 5200 controllers? :(

it is about as easy as making a 2600 one i've posted many adventures making controllers out of arcade parts

the wiring diagram is in one of them i'm sure

a matrix keypad is pretty cheap if you dont mind waiting for one from china

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248167-homemade-controller-mark-6-parts-from-ebay/?hl=%2Bbohoki&do=findComment&comment=3440007

any questions just ask i'll make sure you get it working

here is the last one i drew up each fat wire is a twisted pair (like from inside a ethernet cable and since they are swiches orentation does not matter) the side info is about using a star raiders keypad

also this diagram takes advantage of the normally closed portion of microswitches if you have a joystick that uses leaf switches its easy to but i have a different scheme

DCP_9070_zpscyiprgxx.jpg

5200joydiagram-1.jpg

Edited by bohoki
  • Like 2

Look at this page: Rebuilding the Atari 5200 CX52 Joystick You can see that the analog stick is made with 2 "Analog Potentiometers (Pots) for X Y Movement (PC Joysticks)". This makes it is easy to make a nob for Tempest but harder hard to make a digital control for H.E.R.O, and Ms. Pacman. (aside: Frogger lets you use the KEYPAD 2,8,4,6 buttons to move frogger)

Maybe this is what you are looking for: Using 2600 joysticks on a 5200 has a ASCII schematic (wiring diagram) of the Masterplay interface.

I use a Masterplay interface to hook up arcade control joystick (I actually found in a thrift) for digital games.

if you want to try to wire up an analog stick to replace the two Potentiometers like CZroe said with a playstation original:

----> this is what I think you want <--------YouTube.

other googled links.

http://old.pinouts.ru/Inputs/JoystickAtari5200_pinout.shtml

https://hackaday.io/project/1021-atari-5200-custom-controller-build

Look at this page: Rebuilding the Atari 5200 CX52 Joystick You can see that the analog stick is made with 2 "Analog Potentiometers (Pots) for X Y Movement (PC Joysticks)". This makes it is easy to make a nob for Tempest but harder hard to make a digital control for H.E.R.O, and Ms. Pacman. (aside: Frogger lets you use the KEYPAD 2,8,4,6 buttons to move frogger)

Maybe this is what you are looking for: Using 2600 joysticks on a 5200 has a ASCII schematic (wiring diagram) of the Masterplay interface.

I use a Masterplay interface to hook up arcade control joystick (I actually found in a thrift) for digital games.

if you want to try to wire up an analog stick to replace the two Potentiometers like CZroe said with a playstation original:

other googled links.

Oh, man: I thought the PSX controller was a great mod until the middle of part two when it's finally clear that he's converting analog thumb sticks to digital 4/8-way directional output. :(

• 1 month later...

Do you think that if i built one is it possible to have 3 different pinout connected to the switches at the same time but only connected to one system at a time? For instance wire it to a 5200 going to a db15 then at the same time comnect another set of wires to the switches pined out for a ps2 and finally a set connected to the Lono 2 arcade to usb adapter

Do you think that if i built one is it possible to have 3 different pinout connected to the switches at the same time but only connected to one system at a time? For instance wire it to a 5200 going to a db15 then at the same time comnect another set of wires to the switches pined out for a ps2 and finally a set connected to the Lono 2 arcade to usb adapter

You'll need a stick with switches that have normally-open and normally-closed terminals and you might need more than 15 pins but, yeah.

Ok..plan was one set of wires to a db15 atari one set to the lono which turns to micro usb for pc and havent tested yet but is supposed to be ps2/3 compatible. Jave all the parts since i had to down size my home so my pedistol full size custom mod arcade/mame machine with a 50 in plasma display is too big for where imat.

other googled links.

For the record, Dan Kramer has hooked up a Tempest arcade spinner/rotary controller successfully to the 5200 via a CX53 Trak-Ball controller and it works with 5200 Tempest. He had it on display a few days ago at this year's Davis Atari Party. He's still tinkering with it. At the time of the show, the spinner was spinning the opposite direction on screen which made it a challenge - a fun one at that! - to play. Once that's corrected, it'll be aces.

• 4 weeks later...

Please Help!!! I don't know how to wire this controller, even though I know there is a diagram above. I don't know how to wire in the pots, I have tried using the this site, this link http://old.pinouts.ru/Inputs/JoystickAtari5200_pinout.shtmland this link https://hackaday.io/project/1021-atari-5200-custom-controller-build#j-discussions-title. I have other mods like adding the cart adapter to a Flashback 2 so I am capable but need instruction like:

Pin 9 to Pot Center pins

Pot Center pins to Joystick Down Switch Common Pin

And so on...

I would truly appreciate someone taking the time to spell it out or even further simplify the drawing above, as it looks like all the pot pins are used and connected together but the pic above it show only 2 pins used.

THANKS!!!!

ok i'll walk you through this first off if you are going to use my simple plans they require that each direction switch is independant so there can be no common ground because my cheap junk does not use any active circuitry its just dumb brute shunting

i would like to see your joystick if you have a picture

i'll do my best to use simple terms and language

so basically direction left and up are similar what they are doing is they are going to short out the potentiometer

and directions down and right are going to ground out the x and y so they feel like infinite resistance

for directions you are going to be using pins 9,10,11 and 15(ground)

so you are going to take the wire coming from pin 9 and attach it to both potentiometers middle finger so you can make like a y or just jump it

then you are going to take pins 10 and attach it to one side of one of the pots this one will be the lefty righty pot

then you are going to take pins 11 and attach it to one side of one of the other pot this one will be the uppy downy pot

now from the left direction switch run 2 wires and attach them to the lefty righty pot right on the other wires it doesnt matter which wire goes to which side it is just going to short it out to make zero resistance

repeat for the switch for up with the uppy downy pot

ok so up and left are done

take 2 wires from the right switch and attach one of those to the wire going to the plugs pin 15 then take that other one and attach it to the finger on pot that has the wire from pin 9

then from the down switch run 2 wires one goes to the wire from pin 15 the other goes to the finger of the uppy downy pot that goes to pin 11

whew

sorry i wanted to get that saved before my computer froze or the internet went down or it logged out

ok for buttons real simple button A is just 2 wires one to pin 15 the other to pin 14 for button B one wire to pin 15 the other to pin 13

for the matrix keypad you are gonna have to give me a bit of time to explain how to wire all that but to get you started if you can rig up a button between pins 4 and 7 it should be good for a bit

Here are the pictures. I will add a matrix keypad or a bank of momentary switches like I used for Start/Pause/Reset once I get this working. My Pots may be to big, they are 1Kohm as they were originally for a different project but I didn't think that would matter, if it does let me know please. The parts are from my MAME cabinet bought from Paradise Arcade in Hawaii, all top of the line. What really sucks is I didn't have room for my MAME cabinet, it was a completely customized pedistol style cabinet that I modified into a media/game center with a 50inch plasma and subwoofer.

post-46531-0-79111900-1472824406_thumb.jpg

post-46531-0-85486900-1472824438_thumb.jpg

post-46531-0-18058500-1472824472_thumb.jpg

Oh...I understand the Matrix Keypad and SRP buttons...thats straight forward from the diagrams..the way the pots wire up is what killing me. I am gonna try this by the end of the weekend. If you see anything wrong with my joystick hardware let me know. One mre thing..is there enough power from the +5V pin to power my 2 5V leds on the buttons?

well first off your pots should be at minimum 500k ive used 1 meg ones from paddles and they work fine if you dont have a pot and just want to get it going you can use a pair of 240k resistors instead but depending on the system and game it may have a bit of drift

as for your leds you can probably get by with hooking them up to pin 9 i try to stay away from pin 12 cause its use with the trakball is magic

no comment my 5200 is haunted

if you get one of them cheapo keypads here is a pic to help you wire it

DCP_9166_zpslq84ps05.jpgalso its really hard to cut the hole out for undermounting it i suggest just cutting a slot for the wires and top mount it

also ignore my top diagram using the nc contact you use the no and common for all the switches also make sure you check the switches with an ohm meter the contacts look like they have been abused a bit and you just want to diminish unexpected variables

Edited by bohoki

post-46531-0-69223400-1472916219_thumb.jpgpost-46531-0-44439400-1472916224_thumb.jpgpost-46531-0-75330600-1472916172_thumb.jpgpost-46531-0-72502200-1472916214_thumb.jpg

Ok, now I think I followed correctly yet not working as expected. When I check the resistance of Up and Left when the stick is centered it reads 500+ when engaged they both go to zero. As for Down and Right when centered they both have no continuity when engaged they have continuity. The pots seem to act like indivual controls (like a normal 5200 controller). I have attached pictures of so you can see what I have going on and if I made mistakes, which is likely. I know it's follow so I numbered the wires on the pic....

• 2 years later...

hola, yo estoy intentando hacer un control Atari 5200, con un joystick arcade genérico de interruptores, al amigo Vbruno305, te funcionó estas conexiones del cableado a los potenciometros ?, y a mi me queda un poco claro el diagrama y la explicación que el amigo Bohoqui , en todo caso el diagrama es erróneo? no aparece ahi el pin 15, en el diagrama aparecen unidos los interruptores arriba-abajo, en el mismo potenciometro, pero en la explicación, se encuentra en los switches derecha y abajo en el pin 15, y el otro cable a pines 10 y 11, estoy en lo correcto? una vez solucionado el problema de los potenciometros, de 500K nuevos, que tal funciona el joystick? agradecere a quien pueda ayudarme para hacerme uno estoy desesperado ya que no puedo utilizar mi gran consola 5200!!!

Edited by KABOOMER!

On 6/11/2019 at 4:13 PM, KABOOMER! said:

hello, I'm trying to do an Atari 5200 control, with a generic arcade joystick switch, to the friend Vbruno305, did these wiring connections work to the potentiometers ?, and I'm a bit unclear the diagram and the explanation that the friend Bohoqui In any case, the diagram is wrong? it does not appear there pin 15, in the diagram the switches appear united up-down, in the same potentiometer, but in the explanation, it is in the switches right and down in pin 15, and the other cable to pins 10 and 11 , I am right? once solved the problem of potentiometers, 500K new, how does the joystick work? I will thank whoever can help me to become one I am desperate since I can not use my big 5200 console !!!

Translated to english.

• 4 months later...

DSCF9534.thumb.JPG.e715a1e1aedd6658d8911ebacee89e21.JPG

For anyone confused by any of the directional wiring to the Normally Open mircoswitches,

Pin 9 (pot common) goes to the middle lead of both pots (the wipper, black shrink wrapped in photo)

Pin 10 goes to the side lead of the pot for the left and right horizontal control (yellow shrink in the photo)

Pin 11 goes to the side lead of the other pot for the up and down vertical control (red shrink)

The micro switch for up | one wire from the switch to the middle lead of the V pot that pin 9 is attached too, the other wire goes to the side of the pot that pin 11 is attached to.

The micro switch for down | one wire from the switch to the side of the pot that pin 11, the other wire goes to pin 15 (ground).

The micro switch for left | one wire from the switch to the middle lead of the H pot that pin 9 is attached too, the other wire goes to the side of the pot that pin 10 is attached to.

The micro switch for right | one wire from the switch to the side of the H pot that pin 10 is attached too, the other wire goes to pin 15 (ground).