IGNORED

Homebrew games packages

Philsan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/23/2022 at 4:55 AM, Dinadan67 said:

My collector's editon of albert arrived and the cartridge comes in a very nice packaging together with the manual and a bag of insects ?

IMG_3321.jpeg

IMG_3324.jpeg

Looks like a great presentation! I will say, though, that given how much of a niche market homebrews are for A8 and other vintage systems, seeing a game made for PAL only is a huge disappointment and also leaves a lot of opportunity on the table for the developer(s). Oh well...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Ray Gillman said:

I can't find these downloads - every time I try to go to the ARSOFT.PL web link it gets blocked by the antivirus as a hazardous website. Weird - is this a known safe web destination or is there a better place like archive.org where these can all be found?

Are you just looking for general atari 8bit (A8), game downloads and what are you intending to run it on? 

Go to the pinned newbies topic which links to download and faq sites like Atarimania, and also provides a lot of valuable info. 

If you are just starting out then there is a bit of a learning curve, especially if you are intending to run these off real hardware. (What A8 hardware spec, which storage or loading devices used to load games, explanation of the software formats, etc etc). 

You might be best using emulation first, using Altirra emulator to run games of a modern windows PC for example. You can emulate most A8 hardware setups and upgrades virtually. That way you can test games. 

Some of the games above need more ram (on escape is 1mb game) 

So my advice if you are just getting into the A8 scene and haven't as yet got an existing working A8 setup, go to the pinned newbies topic. I think it also has a link to altirra. 

If I've misunderstood and you are already familiar with how this all works, etc, then no worries. :)

Edit: also just to say that some of the boxed games you see above had free releases as well, which are available but most are pal based as the are European. You need a pal machine to run them. Ntsc (American) A8's won't run them right, if at all.  

Edit: to run the excellent game Flob on real hardware you need it burnt to a compatible cart sys or run it from a multicart like side3, mounted as a car file. 

As I say big learning curve if just starting out as the A8 hardware is quite reliant a lot of the time on modern paired hardware solutions such as multicart or hardware drive emulators like sdrive max. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

Well I'm in the process of reviving restoring an 800xl for my grandkids to play around on. Saw several mentions of free downloads to be tried on Altirra and later thought to add them to the "library" of things to be done with the 800 - cartridges might be nice for this but someone should put a package of all together rather than $10 euros each or whatnot. Selling stuff I am the first to admit and suggest people will buy anything if it costs $10 but librarians and collectors want the full seven seasons of Star Trek in one DVD kit right? ;) 

7 hours ago, Ray Gillman said:

Well I'm in the process of reviving restoring an 800xl for my grandkids to play around on. Saw several mentions of free downloads to be tried on Altirra and later thought to add them to the "library" of things to be done with the 800 - cartridges might be nice for this but someone should put a package of all together rather than $10 euros each or whatnot. Selling stuff I am the first to admit and suggest people will buy anything if it costs $10 but librarians and collectors want the full seven seasons of Star Trek in one DVD kit right? ;) 

Most games are free to download, including new homebrew like these boxed ones. Go to the pinned newbies topic and see the links to sites for 1000s of older and some newer titles. 10000s of atari games from the last 40+ years for free on most of those sites, in xex and atr formats.

The boxed carts above are new and for collectors who want the carts, boxes, etc. They are typically £50 or so as the small runs and costs to produce then means they have to be priced as such. The coders of these new homebrew make no money really. They do it, for the most part, for the love of it. 

The key here is to read as much as you can on AtariAge, and as you say use altirra emulator. :) There are more than enough free games, so all you'll need eventually to run them on real hardware is a multicart or sio device, and where you want to run games than need more ram, cheap ram upgrades would be your option. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

The coders of these new homebrew make no money really. They do it, for the most part, for the love of it. 

This is very true what Beeblebrox is saying, the little money they make helps to fund the next project, and keeps the wheel turning, what these guys are producing on 40+ year old computers is truly amazing.

I would add, if you find the free downloads, by all means use it, but if you enjoy it, find the Developer and tip them :) 

The mention of someone making a package, to be honest, its a bit like a Mix tape of your Favourites.

Find the games you like and put them in a folder, so you have a quick place to go for your best games.

Edited by Overange
  • Like 3

On 10/25/2023 at 6:37 AM, Overange said:

This is very true what Beeblebrox is saying, the little money they make helps to fund the next project, and keeps the wheel turning, what these guys are producing on 40+ year old computers is truly amazing.

I would add, if you find the free downloads, by all means use it, but if you enjoy it, find the Developer and tip them :) 

The mention of someone making a package, to be honest, its a bit like a Mix tape of your Favourites.

Find the games you like and put them in a folder, so you have a quick place to go for your best games.

At the risk of being labelled cheap, older fixed income people have to carefully calculate their "burn rate" on cash so it's not anything to do with not wanting to tip. I have been a "big 15-20% tipper at restaurants my whole life. Most workers in the USA find it close to impossible to find work past the age of 50 and yet don't get social security (SS) income until age 63-65. This is by design to work to get older citizens to burn through their savings in their 50s (other Americans would do well to plan ahead for this reality).

This triggers a spending behavior change in the ones among us intent on making it through to the first SS check without becoming homeless. Bringing a tab for multiple 8bit homebrews to the spouse (at age 63) would be a difficult sell so yeah just trying to scrape up a bag of random downloads for the grandkids to sift through to see if they find any fun or anything interesting. Right now they spend most of their time playing old XBOX (original) dvds. They call those xbox games "Old Games" with an implied "smelly" - just wait till they get a load of 8bit stuff HAH!

So which currently available (modern) joysticks do you all use on your old 8-bits? XBOX controllers on a PC running altirra does not seem ideal for 8bit games. I have a couple of old controllers but once they get heavy use replacements will be needed for sure. There must be a way of adding joysticks 3-4 to an 800XL for MULE family time?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ray Gillman said:

So which currently available (modern) joysticks do you all use on your old 8-bits?

There are very few choices. The only one I know of that isn't custom made (and therefore more on the expensive side) is the Hyperkin Trooper: https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Trooper-Controller-not-machine-specific

A knock some people have for it is durability, but I have one that i've used for a year+ with no problems. Although maybe I'm just lucky.

Joystick discussions aside, the wonderful thing about retro computing is that most software is free and instantly available. 

Altirra is free, so of you have the pc or laptop already, your sorted. It is supported and constantly updated - for free - by its creator. 

All back catalogue commercial releases from 1980s and 90s and most of the homebrew games in the last 20 years are available to download for free. Only an absolutely small number of mostly recent homebrew games might warrant a purely voluntary donation if Atari enthusiasts chose to. 

So really two choices:

Use Altirra with keyboard or, where supported by games, mouse, on your pc/laptop - for free. 

Or

Do research online, Invest in a mutilcart or sio drive emulator, etc, download games (99% for free), and by some cheap Atari compatible joysticks to compliment your 800xl hardware. 

You can also do both. Altirra allows you to run pretty much anything as it emulates all hardware, including most new upgrades, (u1mb, incognito, etc etc). 

Retro computing only becomes expensive if you are buying lots of hardware, upgrades and buying boxed homebrew games. Otherwise it's cheap, especially if you already have a working Atari 8 bit machine. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Gillman said:

At the risk of being labelled cheap, older fixed income people have to carefully calculate their "burn rate" on cash so it's not anything to do with not wanting to tip. I have been a "big 15-20% tipper at restaurants my whole life. Most workers in the USA find it close to impossible to find work past the age of 50 and yet don't get social security (SS) income until age 63-65. This is by design to work to get older citizens to burn through their savings in their 50s (other Americans would do well to plan ahead for this reality).

This triggers a spending behavior change in the ones among us intent on making it through to the first SS check without becoming homeless. Bringing a tab for multiple 8bit homebrews to the spouse (at age 63) would be a difficult sell so yeah just trying to scrape up a bag of random downloads for the grandkids to sift through to see if they find any fun or anything interesting. Right now they spend most of their time playing old XBOX (original) dvds. They call those xbox games "Old Games" with an implied "smelly" - just wait till they get a load of 8bit stuff HAH!

So which currently available (modern) joysticks do you all use on your old 8-bits? XBOX controllers on a PC running altirra does not seem ideal for 8bit games. I have a couple of old controllers but once they get heavy use replacements will be needed for sure. There must be a way of adding joysticks 3-4 to an 800XL for MULE family time?

I wasn't aware that my previous message might imply an obligation to purchase or tip for the games.

Income is a factor that affects people across different age groups, from teenagers to pensioners. It's about how you manage it.

Anyway we carry on....

Regarding controllers, for a truly retro gaming experience, you might consider options like this one available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mcbazel-Classic-Controller-Joystick-Replacement/dp/B07J5SNSJ4

There are also gamepads available, but it's wise to double-check compatibility before making a purchase.

For real fun with the kids, get this book.

https://colorcomputerarchive.com/repo/Documents/Books/Creating Adventure Games on Your Computer (Tim Hartnell).pdf

And get the kids to type in those programs, it will keep them entertained for hours :D 

• Like 2

Thank you the fonts really help because I love being able to edit in 80 column windows and then convert to Atari ATR through the Altirra disks options and have it converted to Atari 155 instead of windows 10 13 CRLF and be able to test code out in the Atari environment which is edited in a much more powerful Windows editor like Notepad++