IGNORED

Lotharek .hfe disk image links?

Airshack

I'm testing out my Lotharek floppy emulator tonight. The only disk on my system is disconnected to make room for the Lotharek (not final config). I've just realized I don't have any .hfe disk images to work with. Does anyone here have links to some TI-99 appropriate .hfe files?

Much appreciated

Edited by Airshack

I'm testing out my Lotharek floppy emulator tonight. The only disk on my system is disconnected to make room for the Lotharek (not final config). I've just realized I don't have any .hfe disk images to work with. Does anyone here have links to some TI-99 appropriate .hfe files?

Much appreciated

I suppose I could send a couple. Can you use DSSD 80 track (360K) or do I need to send DSSD 40 track (180K)? Or would you prefer SSSD 40 track (90K)?

• Like 1

Will this device (Lotharek) work with the 40 track non-modded controller? I'm getting all kinds of errors while attempting to catalog the disks via Disk Manager. The Lotharek is recognizing the four .hfe files, as well as the SD card formatted FAT64. Disk manager gives me Disk Error 16 whenever I attempt a Quick Test of disk 1 or 2.

Will this device (Lotharek) work with the 40 track non-modded controller? I'm getting all kinds of errors while attempting to catalog the disks via Disk Manager. The Lotharek is recognizing the four .hfe files, as well as the SD card formatted FAT64. Disk manager gives me Disk Error 16 whenever I attempt a Quick Test of disk 1 or 2.

it should work with either 40 or 80 track at DS/SD.

There are a few here on AA that have done it. If I recall correctly, isn't there a config file for the unit that has to be on the SD card as well. I don't have one so I could be confusing it with something else.

• Like 1

You are correct about the config file. From what I can see thats to tell the Lotharek how to behave, what to mimic, etc. I have it on the SD card and the Lotharek seems to be configuring itself. Now if I can only get my trustee PEB to understand...

The Lotharek HxC should work set to HFE file interface mode Auto, Drive A Mode Generic Shugart. The .hfe will determine the number of tracks for the device.

I used mine as 40 track with the standard controller and now 80 track after I modified the controller. Changing the Lotharek HxC config was not required, making new 80 track .hfes was.

• Like 1

I never saw the advantage of Disk over Hard Drive.

Unless you deal with SECTORs you know like FORTH or hard coded for sectors I just use Hard Drives.

Swapping disks is a pain in the butt.

Even if using a device that has 4 Gig of space with even HDD Disks you take longer to do that vs having Boot or a RXB program that can find it all from a XB program (also loads anything).

Example is load a XB program from XB type: SCS1.XB.LOAD will give a menu of all the XB programs in that multiple Directory on that Hard Drive.

Example also EA programs from EA 5 prompt type: SCS1.EA.BOOT will give you a menu of all the EA programs in that multiple Directory on that Hard Drive.

Really why not make a 4 Gig SSD device that works like a Hard Drive or Disk...this would be the ultimate device for storage.

Hi,

Error 16 almost means something is wrong with the cable, or the jumpers, as mentioned before.

Just connect the HxC-drive internally and alone first, jumpered as DSK1.

(Only the first jumper ID0A set to ON, NO crossed floppycable, straight through cable ONLY)

WHich controller do you have ?

The Lotharek supports any type of TI-Controller (means any 3rd-Party, too)

I.E. you have a standard TI-one (DS/SD-40T) you can use DSK/HFE-files with this dimension as a maximum.

Yes, the tool converts ANY TI-format from DSK to HFE, but it won´t run due to the controller if too "big"

Which controller do you have ? Any mod ?

Sometimes people also forget to press the middle button finally, while "mounting" a HFE-file in the HxC-Drive

If pressed and really ready, you should see some numbers in the second row of the display (Track:0) a.s.o.

The DSK-files are the standard files you find here allover AA

- 90/180/360 KB of size are V9T9-format, almost,

- 255/537 KB of size are PC99-format

Lothareks Batch-Connversion-tool shoud be able to make HFE´s from both.

(If you covert them to HFE the HFE-size is an odd one, i.e. 981 KB or 1081 KB, this is correct)

DO NOT USE FAT64, reformat it with FAT32.

THE FIRST FILE you have to copy to the SD-card is the Config-File.

Create one with the tool, too. Or better, use my one here:

(you have to unzip before)

HXCSDFE.zip

If you add more HFE-files to the SD-Card later, best way is just quickly to reformat the SD (FAT32)

Copy the HXCSDFE.CFG to the root (after freshly formatted with FAT32, AS first file, did I tell ? :) )

and then copy all other wanted HFEs to it (maybe with subfolders for better organization, if you like, or just to the root of the SD)

Do you have the actual firmware on the drive ? is it new and coming from Lotharek directly ?

WhoTo:

►Copy the new firmware file (*.upd) to a freshly formated FAT32 SDCard.
►Insert the SDCard into the emulator.
►Press Left and Right buttons before power up and keep it pressed at least 1 seconds at power up.
►Wait some seconds .... its done !

(pls find the actual firmware here, unzip it before use, if there is a need for use:)

HXCFE_V1_8_2_40.zip

But your problem here at the moment should be cabling or jumper, I think

xXx

• Like 2

I never saw the advantage of Disk over Hard Drive.

Unless you deal with SECTORs you know like FORTH or hard coded for sectors I just use Hard Drives.

Swapping disks is a pain in the butt.

Even if using a device that has 4 Gig of space with even HDD Disks you take longer to do that vs having Boot or a RXB program that can find it all from a XB program (also loads anything).

Example is load a XB program from XB type: SCS1.XB.LOAD will give a menu of all the XB programs in that multiple Directory on that Hard Drive.

Example also EA programs from EA 5 prompt type: SCS1.EA.BOOT will give you a menu of all the EA programs in that multiple Directory on that Hard Drive.

Really why not make a 4 Gig SSD device that works like a Hard Drive or Disk...this would be the ultimate device for storage.

...because there are no harddisk-controllers available.

If you want to sell me one, it is very appreciated, and I pay "any" price (SCSI) :)

Ditto Ricky! I'm really thankful for the expertise on Atariage. The help I've received keeps me moving forward with the hobby.

Speaking of settings...maybe we can get some TI specific settings for the PC/Mac SD client software. Lotharek seems to have specifics for a few other systems but no TI.

SUCCESS! I finally got the HxC Rev-C working today! Special thanks to you guys for the .hfe files! Cool! I love this thing! My straight ribbon cable worked out and it wasn't tough to make. Joking actually, my crimping tool crushed a few of the connectors before I got it just right. Time to look on YouTube to see what's wrong with my technique.

Next item: Why does one of my SD cards behave with the HxC while three others are no-go? Of course they've all been formatted Fat32 and have the same config file placed on the as the first file.

This makes me want to write a TI how-to for the Lotharek site. Group effort would be nice to get everything right.

• Like 2

SUCCESS! I finally got the HxC Rev-C working today! Special thanks to you guys for the .hfe files! Cool! I love this thing! My straight ribbon cable worked out and it wasn't tough to make. Joking actually, my crimping tool crushed a few of the connectors before I got it just right. Time to look on YouTube to see what's wrong with my technique.

Once you feel more comfortable with your new HxC, you'll probably want get TI99Dir (if you do not already have it) to create your own blank DSK files to populate. Until then, you'll want to go to << THIS MESSAGE >> by Fritz442 and download his ZIP file of blank HFE's.

Also, my old << BLOG ENTRY >> on the Lotharek may have some information you can use as well.

BTW Airshack, there is another HFE for download << HERE >>.

Floppy drives (and/or FD emulation) is in itself a bit of a very far reach for many (new?) TI users - which we're seeing with the non availability of even 'relatively available' CF7/nanopeb devices.

Hard disks are a truly ridiculous reach.

Not really you could emulate hard drives on SD or USB devices just as easy as doing that for Floppies with the less pain in the butt problem of thousands of files with the same name.

Example: With Floppies I need hundreds of Floppies to folders to show different versions of pretty much the same programs.

Example: With Hard Drive I can make ONE DIRECTORY for all of them and Sub Directories for those instead.

Think for a second from TI I can use any Disk Manager or Catalog program including RXB to catalog a Hard Drive from EA.

With Floppies on HDX you have to use a special program to find what you are looking for.

Think of it this way on a PC or Mac do we still use Floppies or Hard Drives...........hmmm what is the answer?

...because there are no harddisk-controllers available.

If you want to sell me one, it is very appreciated, and I pay "any" price (SCSI) :)

Why not update the HDX to behave like a Hard Drive?

Really why are we using Floppies and the hard way when everyone in the world updated to Hard Drives, hell even on the TI99/4A and Geneve?

• Like 1