IGNORED

Gauging interest in Atari based Eprom Burner

Dropcheck

Update:

Files for 3d printing the main board case are now available. Read the readme.first file please.

This isn't the final version. But that may not come for some time. If you find something glaringly wrong then please let me know. Otherwise check back every month or so and see if it's been updated. It should only be minor fixes. Source files for Solidworks 2015 are included so you can make your own changes if you want.

• Like 1

It's probably in the thread somewhere.. but price without the PIA chips?

I guess it might not have been specifically. I did allude to a possible second run early in the thread. One that I thought would be PIA less due to the difficulty in finding the specific chip needed. :)

I am offering the second run on my website for $45.00 plus shipping. You will need to supply (2) R6520AP chips.

I will test and verify operation prior to sending out the bundle. Once you have your PIA chips installed you will need to check the two programming voltages to verify they are still correct. There will be some variation, but probably not much.

Order placed, thanks for remastering. :-)

But I´m wondering how about the PIAs:

Your post above, I´ld understand the way that the "normal" version includes the PIAs, but you´ve also some PCBs without PIA left over.

Your shop told me that it come without ("does not include 2 R6520AP chips needed"), later "One fully assembled kit will cost..."

I´m a little bit confused...

Sleepy

Edit: Read first, then ask: You gave the answer in post #105 already...

Edited by Sleepy

I´m still wondering:

is it possible to get a version with PIAs?

If yes, I´ld like to get a full equipped board - my order-number is #1017.

Sleepy

I'm sorry, but I've exhausted even my own personal cache. I only have the two I need to run my own board and the two extra to test new builds. :(

You might be able to get away with (1) R6520AP in U1 socket and a R6520A(Atari PIA part # CO14795) in U2. I have successfully run in that configuration.

I ordered a couple r6520ap from china on ebay. $2.34 each and $4 shipping. Still says more then 10 available.

Do you have a link? The search I did turned up cheapest $3.14 plus $4.00 shipping. The other main source is running about $5.00 per plus shipping.

Edit: Okay I found it. I don't know. No picture of the product. I'd be suspicious. :? Quite abit lower than the other two sources. Let me know how it turns out. ;-)

Edited by Dropcheck

Do you have a link? The search I did turned up cheapest $3.14 plus $4.00 shipping. The other main source is running about $5.00 per plus shipping.

Edit: Okay I found it. I don't know. No picture of the product. I'd be suspicious. :? Quite abit lower than the other two sources. Let me know how it turns out. ;-)

We shall see. Feedback looks pretty good. Only 17 negs out of 4400 sales. And they've been a seller since nov 09. Not a big worry at less then $10. Hopefully won't take the slow boat over though.

They aren't R6520A, that's the in house custom Atari number and you can only go by the

C014795-12 which Atari tells us is rated for 2 MHz. My recent scrounging had me buying

1 MHz 6520 and they turned out to be C014795-12 Atari numbered PIAs, so even professional

sellers aren't too clear on how to play the chip number game. Only the first line

counts, everything under that line is an in house code of which we as outsiders can

not find much information about. When Atari ordered their PIAs they were the sole

arbiter on what was printed on their chips even when it's just wrong to print a

misleading number like that. Outside of requiring Rockwell's trademark on the chip

somewhere that they made, they have no other traction in the matter.

Yes, the Atari does require 2MHz PIA chips and they have them.

• Like 1

I can only go by what I've tested and what Rockwell says. So far I have not tested C014795-12 chips in the U1 position as I did not have any when I was testing the proto board. I wasn't going to pull a chip from a working computer to put into a protoboard for obvious reasons. I did purchase both R6520A and AP versions for testing. I know that a R6520A chip in the U1 position will not work reliably if at all, but does not seem to have a problem in the U2 position.

You are certainly welcomed to try the C014795-12 chip to see if it will work. ;-)

Back in 1989-1991 Ralif David developed a cartridge/pcb combo eprom burner. This burner is able to burn 2764-27512 eproms as well as the Cmos versions as well. The burner is designed for Atari XL/XE computers. I don't know if it will work on the 1200XL mainly due to the nature of the cartridge board. If someone has the original design and a 1200XL please check it out. Klaus Peters offered it for sale in Germany for awhile. Very few found their way to the US. In the intervening years ABBUC aquired the rights to the product.

German_EPROM_Burner.jpg

I discovered this little known gem months ago while researching the Super E Burner. Through correspondence with GoodbyteXL and ABBUC officials I obtained permission to reimage and sell the product. Now I know there are tons of modern eprom burners that will do more and do it for less, but this is one of the few that connected to and used the Atari 8bit computer.

My version has a few minor enhancements such as bypass capacitors on the chips and ZIF and a few minor cosmetic changes. The board is a little smaller than the original. I am attempting to add the ability to burn 2732 Eproms, that would be the main major enhacement. I have some test eproms coming in the next few weeks and we'll see if that is possible. I also will look at designing a 3d printable case for the main board for those who can and want to case the main board. Otherwise rubber feet will be provided much like the original had.

The one major problem is the board uses (2) 6520 chips. Now they are getting harder and harder to come by. The initial offering of 10 boards will come populated, but after that I may have to offer the board without the PIAs unless an economical solid source is found. The cost will be reduced of course. I am also considering going partially SMD. This will allow me to use a R65C21 instead of the R6520. They are a little more available.

But here's what it would look like. Keep in mind that the finished board is bound to be a bit different. But this will give you an idea.

board.JPG

cartridge.JPG

Cost will be $50.00 per board set plus shipping.

In US 1 board set Priority Mail Flat Rate = $7.00

Outside US 1 board set International First Class Parcel = $22.00 (Horrible price!)

This will be a small run. The first run of 10 will be complete boards. Additional board runs may not have the PIA chips installed. Otherwise they should be complete.

For each board set sold I will donate $1 to ABBUC. Also ABBUC members will recieve a 10% discount.

What's the interest level?

I would like to get one in November. and I have 6520 PIA chips that I have removed off old Broken Atari Computers.

Steve

Http://www.realdos.net