IGNORED

Gauging interest in Atari based Eprom Burner

Dropcheck

Too fast errors don't exist and they do go on up to 4 MHz which would also work both in the XL/XE and

this device. So that is not the problem, but I don't know where it is. Software issue shouldn't be

too bad of a deal to create source for even allowing for more devices to be programmed as well. If

you want my help, PM me the software with the understanding that original and all work done by me goes

back only to you.

The 'correct' speed is 2 MHz, the 1 MHz versions are marginal for our 1.78 MHz clock, not making this stuff

up.

Definitely NOT a freq issue. Finally got some R6520AP chips in and they are working 'normally'. So either there is a hardware difference in the MC68"B"21P/R6520AP chips I haven't found yet or it's a software issue.

The 2732 adapter is working hardware wise and the burner will return a valid empty test, but when I try to burn with the 21Vpp it errors out. I tried with the R6520P chips which are 1Mhz. So as soon as I can erase the 2732 eprom I'll try with the R6520AP version. I'll also try the slow programming to see if it's a problem with the FAST method.

• Like 2

Definitely NOT a freq issue. Finally got some R6520AP chips in and they are working 'normally'. So either there is a hardware difference in the MC68"B"21P/R6520AP chips I haven't found yet or it's a software issue.

The 2732 adapter is working hardware wise and the burner will return a valid empty test, but when I try to burn with the 21Vpp it errors out. I tried with the R6520P chips which are 1Mhz. So as soon as I can erase the 2732 eprom I'll try with the R6520AP version. I'll also try the slow programming to see if it's a problem with the FAST method.

The 2732 adapter option is now working. :D

You kinda of have to lie to the software and use a custom switch configuration and the adapter as well as change the programming voltage and setup the destination parameters, but it works.

The last major hurdle is the issue with the MC68B21 chips. I have a few MC6821 chips coming just to see if I have a bad batch of MC68B21s.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Back in 1989-1991 Ralif David developed a cartridge/pcb combo eprom burner. This burner is able to burn 2764-27512 eproms as well as the Cmos versions as well. The burner is designed for Atari XL/XE computers. I don't know if it will work on the 1200XL mainly due to the nature of the cartridge board. If someone has the original design and a 1200XL please check it out. Klaus Peters offered it for sale in Germany for awhile. Very few found their way to the US. In the intervening years ABBUC aquired the rights to the product.

German_EPROM_Burner.jpg

I discovered this little known gem months ago while researching the Super E Burner. Through correspondence with GoodbyteXL and ABBUC officials I obtained permission to reimage and sell the product. Now I know there are tons of modern eprom burners that will do more and do it for less, but this is one of the few that connected to and used the Atari 8bit computer.

My version has a few minor enhancements such as bypass capacitors on the chips and ZIF and a few minor cosmetic changes. The board is a little smaller than the original. I am attempting to add the ability to burn 2732 Eproms, that would be the main major enhacement. I have some test eproms coming in the next few weeks and we'll see if that is possible. I also will look at designing a 3d printable case for the main board for those who can and want to case the main board. Otherwise rubber feet will be provided much like the original had.

The one major problem is the board uses (2) 6520 chips. Now they are getting harder and harder to come by. The initial offering of 10 boards will come populated, but after that I may have to offer the board without the PIAs unless an economical solid source is found. The cost will be reduced of course. I am also considering going partially SMD. This will allow me to use a R65C21 instead of the R6520. They are a little more available.

But here's what it would look like. Keep in mind that the finished board is bound to be a bit different. But this will give you an idea.

board.JPG

cartridge.JPG

Cost will be $50.00 per board set plus shipping.

In US 1 board set Priority Mail Flat Rate = $7.00

Outside US 1 board set International First Class Parcel = $22.00 (Horrible price!)

This will be a small run. The first run of 10 will be complete boards. Additional board runs may not have the PIA chips installed. Otherwise they should be complete.

For each board set sold I will donate $1 to ABBUC. Also ABBUC members will recieve a 10% discount.

What's the interest level?

Please put me down for one. This programming the chip on the Atari, then jumping through many a hoop to burn it on the PC is a complete pain in the ass. I used to use the old Thompson Proburner quite a few years ago, and loved it. Operation was so simple. I especially like the part about offering the unit without the PIA's. I just happen to have about 10 6520's gathering dust. Anyway, price is good and I would love one. Look forward to seeing it.

Edited by Binarygeek

Update:

All the parts are in. The final test board has been soldered and is in testing. So far so good. Going to be burning test eproms to verify all.

I have modified the software to show the proper switch position for the 2732A adapter. That's also in final testing.

At this time I still have not found the reason why MC68B21 and R65C21J2 chips are not working. So all current boards will contain R6520AP/R6520A combinations as they test out.

Final assembly action should start Monday. With posting of all orders by the end of the week, baring earthquakes and tornadoes, (don't laugh, Oklahoma had it's second most massive earthquake this morning. massive for Oklahoma anyway. 5.6)

A second run maybe done, but it will be awhile.

• Like 3

Eh I'd be interested as a novelty but price and postage out me out considering one can buy a fairly good usb burner off eBay that does a gazillion chips and usually cost 45 with free shipping...

Yes, China ware is cheap in many respects ...

And of course you are able to run an usb eprom burner with the XL/XE having written the needed software.

Lucky you ...

Edited by GoodByteXL
  • Like 1

Eh I'd be interested as a novelty but price and postage out me out considering one can buy a fairly good usb burner off eBay that does a gazillion chips and usually cost 45 with free shipping...

As I've said before in another thread on this, the cheap China made knockoff burners will beat the socks off anything this burner can do except be powered by the Atari. That is it's one main advantage. :|

Go buy your usb eprom burner from Ebay since it is so good and cheap. But please don't trash my time and effort to keep products made for the Atari available for those who want to buy them by complaining I'm not cheap enough.

This burner originally sold for $150.00 when it was first in production. I'm selling an improved, reimaged one for $50.00. It was only made in Germany and shipping would not have been free to Nashville. I'm only charging $7.00 for priority shipping in the US. How's that for cheap? :|

• Like 8

Sweet looking forward to it! Can't wait to start burning Linndrum chips :)

Seems to be no major damage, even in Pawnee Ok, the closet town to the epicenter. Some bricks falling off the facade, a few more cracks in the walls there. Mostly jangled nerves.

Tornadoes you can see and get away from. Quakes not so much. ;-)

But please don't trash my time and effort to keep products made for the Atari available for those who want to buy them by complaining I'm not cheap enough.

I didnt trash your time and effort, you were gauging interest, I expressed my interest as a novelty, but not that price, and in return I get a rant

now my interest is zero, good luck

Seems to be no major damage, even in Pawnee Ok, the closet town to the epicenter. Some bricks falling off the facade, a few more cracks in the walls there. Mostly jangled nerves.

Tornadoes you can see and get away from. Quakes not so much. ;-)

Being from earthquake country myself, I prefer the occasional quake to all the tornadoes you guys get (now that's scary to me :-o ).

Michael

• Like 1

I didnt trash your time and effort, you were gauging interest, I expressed my interest as a novelty, but not that price, and in return I get a rant

Speaking as a developer of Atari related products. You have to understand that we either A: don't make any money developing products for the A8 -or- B: make very little money in the process. So speaking for myself only, complaints of any kind only serve to push oneself over the edge into a position of trying to defend what we are doing or the price we're charging. And dare I say, if pushed hard enough our sensibilities kick in and we ask ourselves "why the heck am I killing myself, and for such little money?". End of story: developer listens to rational self and then silently disappears forever.

So I'm not trying to rant about this, but just being realistic. If you want to see cool things available for your vintage machines that are no longer supported by the parent company or any commercial developers, then please treat the few remaining developers with lots of kindness and respect. Or better yet, try your own hand at developing an upgrade for the Atari and perhaps you'll gain a new understanding of how we feel. Yes I know we are a sensitive bunch :_(

Stepping off soap box...

Michael

• Like 8

..... but anybody should be free to state his opinion and if the price is not right for him he should be able to say so.

Nothing wrong on either side, just someone stating that for him the price is too much to justify it (to himself) .... why getting defensive?

You can ignore the message if it brushes you the wrong way (for whatever reason, I don't see any really) or respond that you understand but it is a niche product after-all and it's built partially for the fun of it.

Am I missing something?

One of my favorite stories back in the early internet of things, could have been in the 80s even on the comp.sys.atari.8bit newsgroup. Someone posted ~they had an Atari set up and didn't want to just throw it in a land fill so they were willing to give it away for free. Almost immediately someone posted "I'd be willing to take it but only if you paid shipping to my home." It got sorted out. I think the original poster noted that he could put it in his trash for free and someone else said they would be happy to pay shipping for the items and would give them a good home. I think it comes with the territory. Let's just say we are a diverse lot.

• Like 2

If you think I was ranting, you haven't heard me yet. I was responding to what I considered a disparaging remark.

You could have said simply that you were not interested or that you didn't have a need for an Atari based eprom burner. Or said nothing at all. :|

Everyone has their price point that they cannot afford to go beyond and I understand that.

But when you implied I was overcharging for a domestic handmade limited run Atari specific burner by comparing it to the cost of a Windows/Linux/Mac USB mass produced China government subsidized generic eprom burner, I couldn't let that go unanswered.

They are two different things and generally will have never have the same price.

Okay I've had my say.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1

If you think I was ranting, you haven't heard me yet.

I really dont care how big you think your balls are

But when you implied I was overcharging for a domestic handmade limited run Atari specific burner by comparing it to the cost of a Windows/Linux/Mac USB mass produced China government subsidized generic eprom burner, I couldn't let that go unanswered.

I never once implied that you were overcharging, I brought it up cause I have talked to a lot of people over the years that think they need some obscure computer setup with a expensive programmer to do simple tasks, which is not the case

I called it a novelty, because unlike a lot of items developed for retro computers, this serves no real function, or solves a problem, in the modern world. Your level of butthurt seems to indicate that you know this somewhere in the back of your mind when receiving something other than the answer you wanted.

Edited by Osgeld

That's good to know, because I have mouse balls if you're interested :rolling:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but seriously... why go there? The OP nor I were trying to make anyone out to be a bad guy. And my post had more to do with the effort that gets put into these projects. And that the reason behind it isn't always profit motivated, but in many cases is done for the love of doing it and sharing with others. And like the OP pointed out, these originally sold for 3 times her asking price when they were first introduced, so that makes her's quite a bargain. And yes everybody knows that there are more capable PC/MAC connectable burners available for very cheap, which these have been the topic of many posts here on AA. But if you want to do it purely with your A8, her solution is not only a good one, but likely the best that can be had in these modern times for a 30 year old computer. And this really takes us full circle... Why do anything on your A8 :? when almost any PC or MAC can easily outdo it many times over. And I guess that is the real answer to why someone would buy what she is producing.

- Michael

Edited by mytekcontrols
  • Like 4

And like the OP pointed out, these originally sold for 3 times her asking price when they were first introduced, so that makes her's quite a bargain. And yes everybody knows that there are more capable PC/MAC connectable burners available for very cheap, which these have been the topic of many posts here on AA. But if you want to do it purely with your A8, her solution is not only a good one, but likely the best that can be had in these modern times for a 30 year old computer. And this really takes us full circle...

So no balls at all ?!?!

I didn't see that coming.

I never once implied that you were overcharging, .....

Sure seems like to me that is exactly what you are saying.

The topic is for interest in an Atari controlled eprom burner, not what some PC based USB burner will do or cost. Compare it to another Atari controlled eprom burner and then say it is too expensive or not.

• Like 6

Hello guys

Now I'm confused. I always though "burning" means "hot", not "cool". Way back when we were kids, most of us probably believed in "cold fire". Which was our explanation for the fact that magicians and the like didn't burn themselves when touching fire. But that was long ago. At least age wise, most of us aren't kids anymore.

Sincerely

Mathy

:D :grin: :-D

Edited by Mathy
  • Like 2