IGNORED

MAME frustrations...

MrBeefy

It seems most roms work but i have yet to get a front end to work...then i gave up. Thinking of just getting a retropie

Plain'ol mame + frontend isn't for everyone anymore. Mame programming has gotten sloppy and front ends aren't getting any better either. None of this should be frustrating, if it is then you need to find something that isn't.

It seems most roms work but i have yet to get a front end to work...then i gave up. Thinking of just getting a retropie

Have you tried MameUI64? Its all integrated and ready to use and has a nice interface. Its good for a personal computer. Not sure if its best for the living room or an arcade cabinet. My computer is circa 2005 but I only tried it with <1985 games.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Would you believe it's been over a year and I still haven't figured out the Master Volume issue? :D I tried to do the config file thing, but it opened up in a text file, and I still couldn't make heads or tails out of what was in there. It just seemed like text versions of what's on MAME itself, which is of no help. I'm trying to figure out a way to just wipe it out and start from scratch, but that would require finding the CD that came with my Dualstick...if I only knew exactly where it was...

Anybody else have any more suggestions? Thanks :)

Would you believe it's been over a year and I still haven't figured out the Master Volume issue? :D I tried to do the config file thing, but it opened up in a text file, and I still couldn't make heads or tails out of what was in there. It just seemed like text versions of what's on MAME itself, which is of no help. I'm trying to figure out a way to just wipe it out and start from scratch, but that would require finding the CD that came with my Dualstick...if I only knew exactly where it was...

What CD?

When you say "Master Volume" you might be talking about the "On Screen Display" function. In any game, press "tab" on the keyboard, then select "Input general", then "User Interface". You should see "On Screen Display" as the first thing in the list. That setting should also be found in the Cfg\default.cfg file (only if it's modified). You can also delete that file and the other files in that folder to reset button mappings. Those text files are the settings.

• Like 1

Try checking the "OnScreen Display" mapping.
After launching MAME:
'Tab' key --> "Input (general)" --> "User Interface" --> "OnScreen Display".
By default that is mapped to the tilde key. When that key is pressed after MAME is launched, the first option it brings up is "Master Volume". It may be mapped to your controller input instead.
*EDIT: Composing my message evidently while mr_me was posting. :)

Thanks for the help. I've seen ways to program this stick, but for the longest time it just worked normally...I don't know what I did to cause the change. The slider switch on the back, I never mess with it. I don't even have a keyboard anymore with the PS2 jack to program the stick 'per game', if that's what I wanted to do.

I'll try this and see what happens. Thanks again.

What CD?

When you say "Master Volume" you might be talking about the "On Screen Display" function. In any game, press "tab" on the keyboard, then select "Input general", then "User Interface". You should see "On Screen Display" as the first thing in the list. That setting should also be found in the Cfg\default.cfg file (only if it's modified). You can also delete that file and the other files in that folder to reset button mappings. Those text files are the settings.

I've found that file, it only opens as a text file. If I just delete it, though, it will 'rewrite' itself when I start up MAME with the stick plugged in, and possibly fix the issue? Just to confirm before I nuke that file.

Try checking the "OnScreen Display" mapping.
After launching MAME:
'Tab' key --> "Input (general)" --> "User Interface" --> "OnScreen Display".
By default that is mapped to the tilde key. When that key is pressed after MAME is launched, the first option it brings up is "Master Volume". It may be mapped to your controller input instead.
*EDIT: Composing my message evidently while mr_me was posting. :)

So this worked, woohoo! For some reason the MV was mapped to keyboard 'spacebar'...anyways, mapped it to the ~ symbol and it's no longer an issue. Now to continue living in ignorance :D

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Dear fellows, first of all happy Easter to all of you, I hope you're all safe and in good health, and the same for your relatives and friends.

I went through the lessons of "the good MAME user" in this thread, and although I understand the points, I have to disagree and stand among those who think that MAME is a marvel but the organisation of software and realated stuff is unfortunately a nightmare.

15 years ago or such I downloaded a 32bit version of MAME with GUI, and although I was happy with it, the sound crashed continuously on some games. I asked about this issue, possibly here or maybe elsewhere, and also tried to contact the developers, but the common answer was that it was my hardware's fault and nobody really dug the issue.

Fast forward to these days. I have been given a 64bit architecture laptop, so I thought to copy all of the MAME files and see if the crashing sound would go away on a completely different and much newer hardware. To my highest surprise, the crashing sound is still there as usual. So it was and is a software problem, full stop.

At this point I thought to see if a 64bit of MAME with GUI was available, and indeed it was. I tried it, and sound finally doesn't crash and crackle with this one, but what a "nice" surprise I had when I've found out that *all* and I repeat *all* of the vector games' ROMs no longer work!

As when I have a problem I usually find out that many others had the same problem before me, I performed a search and found this thread. I read the "manual of the good MAME user" incorporated in it, which recommends to trash the whole collection of ROMs it took a lifetime to put together, and download "from somewhere" a new full set of the "new" ROMs that match the version of MAME you are using. Too bad that whether the "new" ROMs match or don't mach each specific version of MAME is written nowhere. Also, it's exactly the opposite of what I'd like to do, as I put together just a bunch of ROMs corresponding to the games that I like to play, and I accurately avoided so far to clutter the ROM folder and available games list with useless stuff that I dislike.

Well, enough said. I rolled up my sleeves and began tracking once again the supposedly "new" ROMs of Asteoids, to replace those that I already had since decades. After having put them all into a .zip file, the game now works also with the 64bit MAME GUI, but the sound delivered is completely different than before. The shots were a terrific and cool "puw puw puw puw", now they're an itty bitty and uninspiring "ziiiing ziiiing ziiiing ziiiing". Which one is correct? Is there any way to improve this "new" horrible sound effect?

Aside from that, should perhaps any pious soul find the time to separate only the .zips of the "new" vector games ROMs and pass them to me saving a lot of search and time, I'd be very very grateful and thankful. 

Edited by highinfidelity

Regarding Asteroids sounds what two mame versions are you comparing?  Here's a discussion about asteroids sounds.

https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=12670

Could be the difference is sampled sounds vs emulated sounds.  Mame is an emulation project and their goal is to always improve the accuracy of the emulation.

Edited by mr_me

Thanks for your reply!

I'm comparing MAME32 V0.53 and MAMEUI64 V0.143, for what it's worth.

I remember the sound samples thing, as they were another annoying bit you had to dig the internet for, or some games would stay mute. But Asteroids didn't need sound samples in MAME32: I checked the folder and they're not there.

13 minutes ago, highinfidelity said:

I actually think it's the latest "stable", non-in-development version. If you know of any more recent "official" release, and where to download it from, please be so kind to post a link.

Just snag it from the MameUI website:  http://www.mameui.info/

Last one I have on my PC is .215 but they're up to .220.

• Like 1

Eventually MAME will start to emulate old MAME so old romsets just works, MAMEonMAME or MAME-SQUARED ...whatev ....

It's nice that they keep on pushing the envelop, mind you, just being sarcastic (a little).

Once every few years I "buy" the "full romset" from more or less "reputable" sources just so I don't have to spend the time chasing them down myself.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

That's a good way to do it. I'm on a similar plan. A hybrid plan. I keep a bunch of my favs, hand curated and hand tweaked, off to the side. My go to games. And then every few years just buy a set to stay current.

There's some sets going for like $500 and $600. But you get a 14TB or BIGGER disk jam packed.

I always want to mention for the newbies that it's perfectly ok to have multiple sets and multiples versions of MAME. And that applies to any emulator really. Storage is just so cheap today. And it has been cheap for the past decade or two!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

That's a good way to do it. I'm on a similar plan. A hybrid plan. I keep a bunch of my favs, hand curated and hand tweaked, off to the side. My go to games. And then every few years just buy a set to stay current.

There's some sets going for like $500 and $600. But you get a 14TB or BIGGER disk jam packed.

I always want to mention for the newbies that it's perfectly ok to have multiple sets and multiples versions of MAME. And that applies to any emulator really. Storage is just so cheap today. And it has been cheap for the past decade or two!

I paid $0.00 for mine, its not hard to download them, for just the games that I like.

No point in wasting hundreds of dollars, which could be used for more important things, or other real games.

later

12 hours ago, NE146 said:

Just snag it from the MameUI website:  http://www.mameui.info/

Last one I have on my PC is .215 but they're up to .220.

Thanks for pointing me to that website. I would have never taken that page seriously, not even to mention download anything from it, if I hadn't been guided there by an experienced fellow.

The lousy "feeew feeew feeew" sound it's still there, but judging by this video of (supposedly) the original hardware, it seems that this might indeed be the correct sound effect. What a pity, the incorrectly emulated sound was much much cooler than this.

Does anyone perhaps know which is the last version of MAME GUI that supports the "old" ROMs for vector games? I think I might try it, and see if it plays the ROMs that I have, while at the same time the sound wouldn't crack and pop with raster games.

4 hours ago, highinfidelity said:

Does anyone perhaps know which is the last version of MAME GUI that supports the "old" ROMs for vector games? I think I might try it, and see if it plays the ROMs that I have, while at the same time the sound wouldn't crack and pop with raster games.

If that's what you're looking for, maybe try AAE instead http://pages.suddenlink.net/aae/  1) I'm not sure, but it may support those old ROMS, but even better 2) If what you're looking to play is vector games, that emulator does a nicer job with the display than vanilla mame.  e.g. It at least attempts to simulate the "glow" of the shots in an actual Asteroids arcade machine, the phosphor trails, etc.   Anyway, worth a look. 

9 hours ago, Keatah said:

Utilizing a copy of MAME 0.142 Vector Edition is not too shabby:

ASTERDEL_MAME0142VECTOR.thumb.PNG.4fc0bde383987f289e46eae4361f7a62.PNG

MHAVOC.thumb.PNG.facbfb1d7098552fa079a9d1a41dc849.PNG

BZONE_MAME0142VECTOR.thumb.PNG.45b8cc1309749e9ed472b8953c260e7a.PNG

STWARS_MAME0142VECTOR.thumb.PNG.fbef1b5cf2b530589dd3f68be2178ce6.PNG

Some of the 'glow' effects are loss on the capturing and resizing; however, the above still looks decent and even better live, adjustable for preference, including 'artwork' and different displays:

CFG_MAME0142VECTOR.thumb.PNG.0601054b73808a781f768de7fdee22e4.PNG

ART_MAME0142VECTOR.thumb.PNG.fa5284db248f2046ce454c6540fd2348.PNG

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Trebor said:

Utilizing a copy of MAME 0.142 Vector Edition is not too shabby

Some of the 'glow' effects are loss on the capturing and resizing; however, the above still looks decent and even better live, adjustable for preference, including 'artwork' and different displays:

That looks cool.. how does it look for regular Asteroids? The loss of big fat glowing shots leaving tracers behind, are one of the more prominent drawbacks of emulating that game. I should check it out...

i.e. 

Image1.thumb.jpg.81bc82fd5694e0d1100ee1fd37cbb67a.jpg vs image2.thumb.jpg.3556e04bd803beb47b46850eff270cc9.jpg