IGNORED

Millipede 5200

rushguy

• 4 weeks later...

It's not in the store right now, but I'd be glad to make you a cart with a nice label. I will send you a PM.

Yes, the game does have Trak-Ball support.

..Al

Hello! I am new here, but would love to know if you can still make a Millipede cartridge, and what it would look like, and how much would it cost? Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

We'll relay your sentiments to Dan Kramer but his project was more of a proof-of-concept. He had the arcade Tempest control panel wired to a CX53 to get it to work. It was clamped down on the table so it wouldn't get knocked over. He did it in about a week and the spinner was spinning the opposite direction. I should ask him if he resolved that but I think he had other projects to attend to since then. That and selling his *real* Super Pac-Man A8 proto which he had great success with. I say *real* because it was from Atari Consumer Engineering and not a *repro* like everyone else markets as a *proto*. It was funny that he had it available to play at the Davis Atari Party and had a styrofoam cup covering up the cartridge inserted into an 800XL to reduce the chance of theft.

Well, it might be enough for some of us who own Tempest spinners if he could just detail how he wired his to the trak-ball, a schematic and hopefully a few pics that show what wires went where. I assume he wired the spinner into the trak-ball board but maybe it was spliced into the controller cord? Either way, a little blog page or tutorial would be great so that any of us with a working Tempest arcade game/control panel could reproduce the same results. I'd certainly owe him much drinks, haahaha.

Hello! I am new here, but would love to know if you can still make a Millipede cartridge, and what it would look like, and how much would it cost? Thank you!

PM Albert about this. Note that he posted a picture of the cart he can make earlier in this thread:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254437-millipede-5200/?p=3555676

• 2 months later...

Just spent a few minutes playing Millipede with the wonderful 5200 Trak-Ball controller. Really plays great, although wish I could modify the sensitivity of the Trak-Ball (like you can do with a mouse on your computer), as i'd make it a bit faster.. Here's a photo I just took of a cart:

5200_Millipede_Cart.jpg

..Al

Whoops, just saw this! Beautiful!!!

• 6 years later...
On 11/24/2023 at 2:08 AM, Allencoco said:

Hi there, can somebody tell me is it still possible to get a CART of millet peed? If so, could somebody please let me know where and how much thanks.

Look at (Good deal games), it shows he has it in stock.

1 hour ago, Albert said:

It's available in the AtariAge Store here

Ooops, my bad, kinda figured that one was not here anymore,

Check (Atariage store also) at link above.

Edited by RB5200

12 hours ago, Albert said:

It's available in the AtariAge Store here:

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1157

..Al

Related question, is it possible for reproductions like Millipede to also have manuals (and boxes and overlays) available?  I'm thinking in terms of the manuals already existing for the 8-bit Millipede and 5200 Centipede in order to figure out what a 5200 Millipede manual would look/read like.  I know I'd buy them, I have like 6 or 7 loose reproduction 5200 carts that could use manuals and boxes.

2 hours ago, ledzep said:

Related question, is it possible for reproductions like Millipede to also have manuals (and boxes and overlays) available?

Marc Oberhäuser has been providing Millipede boxes from his Etsy store. Better act fast if you want one, as there is one left.

I purchased a box for my copy a long time ago (below).

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

• Like 1

To be frank, I think the 2600 version of Millipede is much better.  Millipede is decent on the 5200, and worth playing, but outstanding on the 2600.  There is a hack available for the 2600 for trackball support.  It is truly one of the shining stars of the 2600.  The 5200 version of millipede just doesn't reach that level.  It is pretty subdued in comparison with the 2600 version.  The 2600 version is one of only a few that I prefer the 2600 version to the 5200, especially since there is a trackball hack for the 2600.   I still prefer the 2600 joystick version over the 5200 trackball.

2 hours ago, christo930 said:

To be frank, I think the 2600 version of Millipede is much better.  Millipede is decent on the 5200, and worth playing, but outstanding on the 2600.  There is a hack available for the 2600 for trackball support.  It is truly one of the shining stars of the 2600.  The 5200 version of millipede just doesn't reach that level.  It is pretty subdued in comparison with the 2600 version.  The 2600 version is one of only a few that I prefer the 2600 version to the 5200, especially since there is a trackball hack for the 2600.   I still prefer the 2600 joystick version over the 5200 trackball.

I have both Millipede on the 5200 and 2600. The 2600 version is done well for a 2600 game. And it's better than 2600 Centipede. But the 5200 version of Millipede has more detail, more colors, much better sound effects, and a better feel like the arcade than the 2600. The 2600 version mushrooms are just rectangles. 2600 version doesn't even display the high score. The 2600 ship/wand is also just a rectangle. The 5200 trackball is the best trackball made in that era. 

My only gripe I have with the 5200 Millipede is the speed is a little slower than the arcade. 5200 Millipede is superior to the 2600 version in everyway. 

millipede.jpg 5200

2600.jpg 2600

arcade.jpg Arcade

Edited by space_dungeon
  • Like 5

22 hours ago, space_dungeon said:

My only gripe I have with the 5200 Millipede is the speed is a little slower than the arcade. 5200 Millipede is superior to the 2600 version in everyway. 

I agree the 5200 version is better looking.  But the 5200 version is sluggish, IMHO.   Unlike Centipede, it doesn't really look like the arcade version. 5200 centipede is absolutely outstanding and looks and sounds just like the arcade. Though the graphics definitely are better on the 5200, there was always something that made it feel like it didn't look like the arcade.  Maybe chunkiness?  I'm not really sure.

The 2600 version definitely could use improvement in the looks dept, the gameplay is where it really shines.  Frankly, I like it more than the arcade version.  It controls extremely well with either the joystick or the trackball if you use the hacked version.  It's very fast paced like the arcade version. 

I used to play the 5200 version a lot. It's not a bad game, I just think the 2600 version is a much more polished game.  Despite the crappy graphics, is a ton of fun to play.

47 minutes ago, christo930 said:
23 hours ago, space_dungeon said:

I agree the 5200 version is better looking.  But the 5200 version is sluggish, IMHO.

Hell man - is there any chance someone could port this version to the 8-bit computer?

• Like 2

On 11/26/2023 at 5:17 PM, space_dungeon said:

I have both Millipede on the 5200 and 2600. The 2600 version is done well for a 2600 game. And it's better than 2600 Centipede. But the 5200 version of Millipede has more detail, more colors, much better sound effects, and a better feel like the arcade than the 2600. The 2600 version mushrooms are just rectangles. 2600 version doesn't even display the high score. The 2600 ship/wand is also just a rectangle. The 5200 trackball is the best trackball made in that era. 

millipede.jpg 5200

2600.jpg 2600

arcade.jpg Arcade

You inadvertently put up a screenshot of 2600 Centipede, Millipede looks a bit different than the one you posted.

• Confused 1

On 11/26/2023 at 7:17 PM, space_dungeon said:

I completely agree with 5200 Millipede vs 2600.  5200 Millipede is much better on all levels. The speed of 5200 Millipede actually gets much faster in the later levels. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

I completely agree with 5200 Millipede vs 2600.  5200 Millipede is much better on all levels. The speed of 5200 Millipede actually gets much faster in the later levels. 

....and there are up to THREE spiders in which you may have to contend with at the same time in later rounds, let alone all the other insects. In the 2600 version you only have one, maybe two (I haven't yet gotten THAT good on the 2600 version to verify that) at the most.

On 11/28/2023 at 9:26 PM, BIGHMW said:

.and there are up to THREE spiders in which you may have to contend with at the same time in later rounds, let alone all the other insects

Not just THREE, here is a pict. Of 4 spiders.

IMG_20231203_003653135.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoundGammon said:

Remember Glenn The 5200 Man? He converted a lot of 5200 titles to the 8-bits!

I’d love to see 5200 Tempest FINALLY get converted to the 8-bits, you just simply program the controls the same way as V61/Atari Sales did with Tempest Xtreem, the Superzapper would be activated by moving the joystick up or down according to the setting in the main menu. Also, a Trak-ball hack could be made, or you can incorporate the setting for one by doing the same trick like in Missile Command by utilizing the CONTROL + T keys on the keyboard. Plain and simple, for the first time ever A8/XL/XE/XEGS owners will be able to enjoy this Keithen Hayenga masterpiece like we 5200 owners have been spoiled with for the past 12 years!!!