IGNORED

Any interest in a Jaguar to Atari 5200 controller adapter cable?

grips03

77 members have voted

1. 1. Any interest in a Jaguar to Atari 5200 controller adapter cable?

• Yes, I would buy one if someone made them, price ~$25
    • No, current solutions meet my need

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Any interest in a Jaguar to Atari 5200 controller adapter cable?

Phuk yeah!

I'm jumping ahead of myself but I wonder if the JagPads modded to use a spinner for Tempest 2000 would be recognized by 5200 Tempest when using such an adapter cable. IE, being recognized like a normal 360 degree 5200 joystick or a 5200 joystick modded into a paddle.

If one were daring, an analog thumb stick mod to a JagPad should also be doable since the STE/Falcon/Jaguar Enhanced Joystick Ports support analog controls in addition to standard digital.

In this case the Jag pad would look like a digital controller to the Atari 5200. It should work like the 5200 arcade controller I make, but will use a different circuit.

I'm not familiar with the scheme that modders use to add a switch for Low/High Shift on the 5200 for Pole Position but could that scheme be used to support the JagPad's 3rd Fire Button? Granted, it would probably be hell trying to play 5200 Pole Position with a digital DPad...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have talked about doing this for years but never made it happen. I would love to buy some from you. I would also be happy to help you resell them if needed.

Me too. Basically, I'd follow the 5200 keyboard scanning with a microcontroller and return whatever's happening on the Jaguar controller. The XY pots can be replaced with CMOS analog switches to fixed resistance values.

• Like 1

Voted YES. If this could be done and work with all the games, it would be a very valuable alternative to the CX52-controller. I'd buy these if they were made, unless somebody makes controllers with the jag-pad and the CX52 cord. They should also be operational in all four sockets.

Would it be enough to support the three button Jaguar controller?

What would the idea button mapping be?

i.e. B and C = action buttons

Pause = Pause

A = Start

Option = Reset

The CX52 has more buttons. Perhaps make it compatible with the standard controller but fully operational with the extended controlpad. I would not like Pause/Start/Reset to close to the action buttons. The extended pad would also be able to have every single button from the CX52 mapped.

• 4 weeks later...

Why not encase it into an empty 5200 cartridge shell, and make it a Redemption 5200, but for a Jaguar controller, it would utilize some of the features of both the Jaguar controller and also the 5200 keypad, just like the ones Albert used to make for sale a few years ago here on this very site (one for 2600/Sega controllers, one for 7800 controllers, and also one for PC controllers, in which utilize many of the same analog principles the 5200 CX52 sticks currently uses)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

These types of things are the 5200 holy grail. As seen in the youtube video

.from Atariguy this particular undertaking is nowhere near as simple as one would assume it would be. It might be worth it to go in together and get some sort of converter made as a group by having some pcb's printed up with a parts list to do the box one day. Edited by mykgerard

These types of things are the 5200 holy grail. As seen in the youtube video

.from Atariguy this particular undertaking is nowhere near as simple as one would assume it would be. It might be worth it to go in together and get some sort of converter made as a group by having some pcb's printed up with a parts list to do the box one day.

Just imagine if the JagPad would've had an analog thumbstick standard...

• 8 months later...

Controller is here.

Do you want to map:

Jaguar button C = 5200 Primary action button

Jaguar button B = 5200 Secondary action button

Jaguar Pause = 5200 Pause

Jaguar Option = Reset

Jaguar button A = Start

Are all the Jaguar D-pads a little too flat, seems like thumb could slip off pretty easy?

Makes sense to make the two fire buttons closer to thumb position. Perhaps a couple slide switches on the adapter to allow swapping buttons on the fly? Compatible with the pro controller version?

Trying to think if any game would "reset restart" if the start button is accidentally hit during game play. The start button should be one of the red buttons easily selected for new game, but only if no game resets during game play.

525px-Atari-Jaguar-Controller.jpg

Edited by CRTGAMER

• 3 weeks later...