IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

post-4709-0-14701000-1467572683_thumb.png

This thread is about the Nuon game systems, the spiritual successor to the Atari Jaguar.

So all of you who have or are looking to the get the Samsung N2000, the Toshiba SD2300, the Samsung N501, N504, N591 and all the other variants, this thread is for you.

I'm going to post my thoughts on the Nuon, and encourage others to do the same!

• Like 5

I've been a Nuon gamer for years. Started with the N2000 as my wife was ready to get a DVD player in 2001. So the marketing was genius. I wanted the Project X or the Nuon, and here we are.

My thoughts early on of the Nuon is one of some success. Think of all the projects out there that are brought up and scrapped. The idea of Project X/Nuon creatively attached their idea to DVD players which people were buying anyway, and from that we had the seven or so games, and even a slow but existing homebrew scene.

To counter the eight games, I can think of game systems with many more games (won't name one system that comes to mind in case you like that system) that I can't think of one game I really would like to revisit.

On the Nuon for me I like to revisit on a regular basis Merlin Racing, Ballistic, Space Invaders, and Tempest 3000. Iron Soldier 3 is also fun. Would probably enjoy Next Tetris if I could find a copy. So out of seven games, six are what I call good to replayable. Freefall 3050 I might get into one day. (And Crayon Shin Chan is Korean only so I don't count that one.) So six out of seven, not bad! :D

The homebrew scene brought us Doom, Bomb, Killmind, Breakout, Decaying Orbit, and a few others I am getting to know.

So I had a N2000 to start out with and eventually got the SD2300 in the hopes of getting a Next Tetris. No luck there. But it did help in playing Iron Soldier 3 as it was buggy on the N2000.

Just got a N501 for cheap so I thought I would try things out. I recently figure out how to burn the homebrew discs on my Intel Mac, and how to compile the boot directory. Good stuff. So this weekend I tried quite a few games.

Currently playing with the Atari 800 emulator for the Nuon.

So far can’t get it to load with the left C button alone. I can hit start to bypass the inserted cartridge and then c shortly afterwards, but I am not sure if the game didn’t load, of if it is taking a long time.

Been an hour and I know the emulation is slow but I think it didn't take. :D

I had the SD2300 when it first came out but sold it shortly after due to the visualizer effects not being as many as the N501, with the intent of getting the 501 soon after. That never happened, so I finally got what I thought was a good deal for a N501 recently for $100, only the laser sucks on it after all these years apparently, so I have a difficult time trying to load any game, at all. I tried adjusting the POTs with no real luck or success. Found a similar modem DVD player of its time to swap the drive out and into the Nuon with the same results, just doesn't want to read anything. It will load Tempest 3000 but that's about it and even then, the audio tends to skip which is definitely a huge part of the experience.

I love TxK on the PSTV and is the sole reason I purchased one but still find myself wanting to go back to Tempest 3000 or even 2000 - I think it's just faster paced and more upbeat.

Zero luck with any burned images or games for me as the drive just either refuses to recognize it or doesn't load it.

Don't have much to contribute other than I thought/think it was a really cool system and concept. Wish it had been more popular and caught on so there'd be more games to choose from. Came close to pulling the trigger a coule of times when I'd see one at Best Buy or wherever, but knew the system was going nowhere and that the software was going to be scarce. Normally an early adopter to things like this, but knew in my gut the fate it was going to suffer. :(

I did keep an eye out for them though and would have definitely pulled the trigger had they gone on clearance for cheap (say $100 or less), but that never really happened AFAIK. They just sort of disappeared after being on the market a short while. Always kinda considered it part of the Jaguar family. A successor of sorts anyway.

Don't have much to contribute other than I thought/think it was a really cool system and concept. Wish it had been more popular and caught on so there'd be more games to choose from. Came close to pulling the trigger a coule of times when I'd see one at Best Buy or wherever, but knew the system was going nowhere and that the software was going to be scarce. Normally an early adopter to things like this, but knew in my gut the fate it was going to suffer. :(

I did keep an eye out for them though and would have definitely pulled the trigger had they gone on clearance for cheap (say $100 or less), but that never really happened AFAIK. They just sort of disappeared after being on the market a short while. Always kinda considered it part of the Jaguar family. A successor of sorts anyway.

There was some site that had a blowout on them boxed/new for $79 at the end of its life - I almost bought one for every family member just so I knew I could have access to one should I never need to but that didn't happen.

I just realized the Nuon logo is kind of genius.

But only kind of ...because it also looks like a "do not enter" sign.

I have a Samsung N501 but haven't touched it in years ...as much as I like Tempest 3000, it's also slow, low-res, and blurry. I've sold off everything else. I think there are two unremarkable Nuon-enhanced DVD movies, which I've tried but didn't find amazing when they were new.

It was fun to load homebrew DOOM onto a CD-R and play around, but I'm not sure if I should keep my machine. I don't appreciate it like some people here would.

I bought a SD2300 not too long after launch as an ignorant Jaguar fan. Honestly though, it didn't get much action as a game device because a lot of the games on it--Tempest 3000 and Iron Soldier 3 aside--weren't really up to par with what was already on the market at the time (Dreamcast). It was my first DVD player and so I used it a lot for that purpose, as well as its visualizer. I owned every game on the system except for the super obscure import exclusives. I do wish some of the cancelled games were finished and released.

A couple of years ago I found a N501. It worked but it was a little finicky with discs. I guess it's common for those now unfortunately.

• Like 2

That never happened, so I finally got what I thought was a good deal for a N501 recently for $100, only the laser sucks on it after all these years apparently, so I have a difficult time trying to load any game, at all. I tried adjusting the POTs with no real luck or success. Found a similar modem DVD player of its time to swap the drive out and into the Nuon with the same results, just doesn't want to read anything. It will load Tempest 3000 but that's about it and even then, the audio tends to skip which is definitely a huge part of the experience.

I was about to offer a N501 that I had but I realized that the $20 N501 I bought in a pawn shop has a slighly flakey mechanism. What exactly goes out in these I wonder? And I'm starting to wonder like many if there is a replacement media that can be used?

Oh they are definately a follow-up to the Jaguar for sure. With Doom, Tempest 3000, Merlin Racing, and Iron Soldier 3 right there you have a game system with the follow up titles to the Jaguar. And the VLM2. :D I think honestly the idea of Project X should have been released maybe a bit sooner, but hey you get funding when you get funding.

I just realized the Nuon logo is kind of genius.

I was looking at it the other day. I like how it is a large "N" spanning from the N at the beginning and the N at the end with the O placed where the O would be. Nice. Liked it so much, I updated my usual Bubsy avatar at the Nuon-Dome with the Nuon logo.

post-4709-0-98286700-1467610016_thumb.jpg

Do you know where the Nuon was sold in Europe and under what name/model?

I remember trying to find one some time before but I couldn't find any, so I'm not sure it was even sold here in France.

That would be the much sought after N504 with the Ares 3 processor. I would like to get one of those and add the controller port. :D (They were faster and there is a faster version of Doom ported for that one.)

But only kind of ...because it also looks like a "do not enter" sign.

I have a Samsung N501 but haven't touched it in years ...as much as I like Tempest 3000, it's also slow, low-res, and blurry. I've sold off everything else. I think there are two unremarkable Nuon-enhanced DVD movies, which I've tried but didn't find amazing when they were new.

It was fun to load homebrew DOOM onto a CD-R and play around, but I'm not sure if I should keep my machine. I don't appreciate it like some people here would.

Don't see the warning sign so much.

As for keeping it or not, I could see keeping it around for Doom. Pretty good on the Nuon. I'd say keep it around till interest comes back found for you on it. I've parked my Nuons for years at a time. I was recently interested again with getting a N501. Never know. I know that the SD2300 was more reliable in watching DVD's when others had trouble getting through some discs. Had to say.

Always wanted a nuon but never seen any around here.

Where do you live?

I bought a SD2300 not too long after launch as an ignorant Jaguar fan. Honestly though, it didn't get much action as a game device because a lot of the games on it--Tempest 3000 and Iron Soldier 3 aside--weren't really up to par with what was already on the market at the time (Dreamcast). It was my first DVD player and so I used it a lot for that purpose, as well as its visualizer. I owned every game on the system except for the super obscure import exclusives. I do wish some of the cancelled games were finished and released.

A couple of years ago I found a N501. It worked but it was a little finicky with discs. I guess it's common for those now unfortunately.

Ignorant Jaguar fan.. LOL! I got into the Jaguar around 1999-2000 so luckily I did not have to wait long for either Battlesphere or the Nuon to come out. I heard about both, and within a year both were out. Yes, 90% of the reason I got a Nuon was my experience with the Jaguar.

And would later get a Dreamcast. That is still an amazing system.

So you have all but the Crayon Shin Chan? Congrats on scoring Next Tetris then. :D

The game I was looking forward to was aMaze. Years since I have picked up the actually wooden mazes from time to time to imagine what could have been in that Nuon game.

And more about the flakey N501 drive. Alright, need to find a suitable replacement mechanism. I plan to tinker with a few models and see what I can find out.

Still trying to get the Atari 800 emulator working. Just can get MULE to load darnit...

• Like 1

I got a drive and adapter from the M101 (IIRC) and the drive on that unit was also garbage so it didn't really improve things. I can't justify spending the money on shipping for a DVD player constantly hit or missing in hopes to get a good drive. Plus, the N501 has half the resolution than the other units from my understanding, which also sucks. Unless of course you get one of the variants from overseas. I'm waiting for the day someone makes an SD device to replace the drive completely and have all the games easily accessible/loadable without worrying about the stupid, cheap DVD drive being such a huge PITA.

So you have all but the Crayon Shin Chan? Congrats on scoring Next Tetris then. :D

Had, not have. I sold my early Nuon stuff a long, long time ago (traded it to a local Jaguar collector over a decade ago, actually). The recent N501 I had acquired, I parted that to a local collector on this forum as well.

I did have Tetris. That was a mail-in option for Toshiba owners. Not a terribly great game unfortunately. I also had one of the recalled IS3 discs sent out by the NUON Dome guys.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright ladies and gents, there is a copy of Iron Solder 3 currently on eBay... (starting bid $90)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122044599871

And if you are missing some of the commons, three sealed games for $175

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122044422340

And five games for $190 (or $38 a game)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122044410927

Just posted by RetroGamer on Nuon Dome.

Alright ladies and gents, there is a copy of Iron Solder 3 currently on eBay... (starting bid $90)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122044599871

And if you are missing some of the commons, three sealed games for $175

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122044422340

And five games for $190 (or $38 a game)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122044410927

Just posted by RetroGamer on Nuon Dome.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254791-nuon-collection-auctions-just-listed/?do=findComment&comment=3551142

I live in Louisiana, never see any in shops around here. I seen a game for one once but that's it. I passed on the game, a pool game iirc, since I don't have the system lol.

Well if it was a pool game that would have been cool. No pool games for the Nuon.

Probably was a copy of Ballistic. Still a good game.

I got a drive and adapter from the M101 (IIRC) and the drive on that unit was also garbage so it didn't really improve things. I can't justify spending the money on shipping for a DVD player constantly hit or missing in hopes to get a good drive. Plus, the N501 has half the resolution than the other units from my understanding, which also sucks. Unless of course you get one of the variants from overseas. I'm waiting for the day someone makes an SD device to replace the drive completely and have all the games easily accessible/loadable without worrying about the stupid, cheap DVD drive being such a huge PITA.

Yeh one of the N501's I got has a drive that is flaking out. I have been wondering what other DVD players Samsung released in 2002-2003. Maybe I can write Samsung and see what I can find out.

Had, not have. I sold my early Nuon stuff a long, long time ago (traded it to a local Jaguar collector over a decade ago, actually). The recent N501 I had acquired, I parted that to a local collector on this forum as well.

I did have Tetris. That was a mail-in option for Toshiba owners. Not a terribly great game unfortunately. I also had one of the recalled IS3 discs sent out by the NUON Dome guys.

Typical of the life cycle of any game system you have the start, the phasing out, and later the nostalgia. Nuon is in the weird phase right now where items for the Nuon are not readily off the shelf available (games were $1 a piece towards the end). But there is not a big market for Nuon.

And yet, there are the those that find it a very obscure game system:

And as for Tetris... still want to find a copy of that.

Yeah, as much as I want to be able to enjoy T3K, I'm not sure the hassle there is worth it and may just trade off/sell the logitech controller and base N501 as a parts machine.

Just need to get you a solid Toshiba SD2300. I've used that system for years and it just chugs away. Plays Tempest 3000 and DVD-Rs I found out.

Console5 had an N501 for sale recently for $99.95. I considered it, but then I had to ask myself why I wanted it. There is so much other retro gaming stuff I could buy with that $100 that I would enjoy more. Other than to say, "Hey, I have an obscure console," I couldn't justify it.

If the Nuon only had lasted long enough to build up a respectable game library, it would be more tempting. Other than Tempest 3000, I'm not sure there are any games I would enjoy, and I own Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar and TxK on my PS TV, so do I need another version of that game?

Well if it was a pool game that would have been cool. No pool games for the Nuon.

Probably was a copy of Ballistic. Still a good game.

Yeh one of the N501's I got has a drive that is flaking out. I have been wondering what other DVD players Samsung released in 2002-2003. Maybe I can write Samsung and see what I can find out.

Typical of the life cycle of any game system you have the start, the phasing out, and later the nostalgia. Nuon is in the weird phase right now where items for the Nuon are not readily off the shelf available (games were $1 a piece towards the end). But there is not a big market for Nuon.

And yet, there are the those that find it a very obscure game system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lpViVaMtrM

And as for Tetris... still want to find a copy of that.

Just need to get you a solid Toshiba SD2300. I've used that system for years and it just chugs away. Plays Tempest 3000 and DVD-Rs I found out.

Yea was Ballistic, they still have it $3 might get it just in case I ever get a nuon lol

• Haha 1

If the Nuon only had lasted long enough to build up a respectable game library, it would be more tempting. Other than Tempest 3000, I'm not sure there are any games I would enjoy, and I own Tempest 2000 on the Jaguar and TxK on my PS TV, so do I need another version of that game?

Well Tempest 3000 is a great addition if you are fan of the Jeff Minter games. It taps into the Nuon hardware and rocks it like Tempest 2000 rocks the Jaguar hardware.

The home brew scene wrote other games which you can see here and would play on a N501:

http://www.nuon-dome.com/download.html

Yea was Ballistic, they still have it $3 might get it just in case I ever get a nuon lol

$3 would be great if nothing else to buy and resell on ebay.

Other than that, I play the heck out of that game. I play "panic mode" where the level continues till you are overrun. So far I have yet to beat level 39.

Console5 had an N501 for sale recently for $99.95. I considered it, but then I had to ask myself why I wanted it. There is so much other retro gaming stuff I could buy with that $100 that I would enjoy more. Other than to say, "Hey, I have an obscure console," I couldn't justify it.

Probably a few years ago. I bought their last one about two years ago and that was about $200. Now it's in the hands of an AA collector (kind of wish I still had it). I don't think we are going to see any more NIB NUONs, unfortunately. :(

Tempest 3000 is really the only exclusive, "AAA" caliber title on the platform unfortunately, and even that's debatable (I found T3K to be, while visually impressive, difficult to follow what was happening on screen compared to T2K or TxK). Freefall and Merlin Racing are exclusive, but they aren't going to knock your socks off or anything. The rest of the library is unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) available elsewhere and a heck of a lot cheaper. Iron Soldier 3 is on PS1, as are Ballistic, The New Tetris, and Space Invaders (Japan only for this one). The PS1 versions of Ballistic and New Tetris also run better, with IS3 being about the same, just with grittier textures on the PS1. Needless to say, the NUON is an interesting piece for hardcore collectors, but there's not a lot of reason for the rest of us to invest in one.

• Like 2

Probably a few years ago. I bought their last one about two years ago and that was about $200. Now it's in the hands of an AA collector (kind of wish I still had it). I don't think we are going to see any more NIB NUONs, unfortunately. :(

Yeah, this was a used unit. I was tempted for a while, but I just couldn't justify it. Finally, someone else bought it, so I no longer had to worry about it.

Tempest 3000 is really the only exclusive, "AAA" caliber title on the platform unfortunately, and even that's debatable (I found T3K to be, while visually impressive, difficult to follow what was happening on screen compared to T2K or TxK). Freefall and Merlin Racing are exclusive, but they aren't going to knock your socks off or anything. The rest of the library is unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) available elsewhere and a heck of a lot cheaper. Iron Soldier 3 is on PS1, as are Ballistic, The New Tetris, and Space Invaders (Japan only for this one). The PS1 versions of Ballistic and New Tetris also run better, with IS3 being about the same, just with grittier textures on the PS1. Needless to say, the NUON is an interesting piece for hardcore collectors, but there's not a lot of reason for the rest of us to invest in one.

Yup, with other failed consoles, there is usually at least one or two exclusive games that make owning the console somewhat worthwhile (like The Apprentice for the CDi or Guardian War for the 3DO). With the Nuon, there isn't really an interesting, exclusive game like this, so other than to say that you have a rare or uncommon console, there isn't really a reason to own one (at least, not for me).

Edited by chicgamer
  • Like 2