IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

"Buying" a rotary controller involves sacrificing a working normal controller.

If there were sufficient interest, re-implementing the Polyface protocol would be the most logical route, and would give you the ability to "adapt" the Nuon to any number of more easily acquired controllers.

Unfortunately the demand just ain't there to justify the development required, the market is limited and would never grow.

...said no one ever. I mean, besides Clu of course. ;)

Am I the only one that would say it? Not much in the way of games, but what games that did come out for it were fun.

I think the Nuon had a lot of potential. And I hope some way we that rotary controller will still happen, even if just for a few willing to have the retro conversion made.

Did you not get the news?

Spinner is available, it's a built to order thing requiring the sacrifice of another Nuon controller.

The only produced example is at the Llamasoft booth at Play Expo in Manchester, you can see it behind Jeff in his tweet from the show.

I'm not going to improve the design/reduce the cost if there's no interest in the product, that's how supply/demand works.

All of the info to do it yourself has been posted on yakyak in the "YaK Twister" thread. I don't suggest attempting it if you aren't comfortable reflowing TQFP48 chips and severing PCB traces under high magnification.

And finally, a spinner controller is forever a spinner controller unless I design a universal board to adapt the polyface chip, that would open the door to allowing switchable configs, but don't hold your breath.

Concentrating now on adding a sensitivity adjustment via an inline micro-controller.

• Like 2

I think the Nuon is one of the more interesting systems to me. It sits behind a Saturn and Master System for consoles to buy (never played em!) but I do watch for them (Nuon) at thrifts when I go. The idea of cannibalizing controllers is a little unsettling, I must admit.

• Like 1

Did you not get the news?

Spinner is available, it's a built to order thing requiring the sacrifice of another Nuon controller. ...

Yeh I heard. You have a proof of concept which is excellent. Also last I heard you were both doing more development on it and putting together a price for the conversion service of the sacrificed Nuon controller to the rotary controller. Also good, will be interesting to hear how much the custom job will come to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And that's bidding too, sheesh!

Too bad there's probably only like 2 people on earth who will pay that, and one of them is about to get a controller...

If they were actually worth that much and there was legit demand I'd actually put effort into reversing the protocol.

Math don't work: There are maybe a dozen folks who would consider paying $50 for a controller. $300 isn't going to fund crap.

If they were actually worth that much and there was legit demand I'd actually put effort into reversing the protocol.

Math don't work: There are maybe a dozen folks who would consider paying $50 for a controller. $300 isn't going to fund crap.

That's the kicker with the NUON--It would take someone with almost criminal levels of passion to do something like that. With only a few die-hards out there, it's possible affordable controllers or adapters will never be an option. I guess it is what it is.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well everyone, in some parts of the world 2016 has gone, and where I am it is five hours away.

Been an exciting year for the Nuon, primarily with eltoozero getting a rotary controller to work with Tempest 3000. Nice work!!

And we've had fun starting up this conversation that I hope will continue for a while to come.

The Nuon was a fun system and I got to experience that for myself as I burned discs of the entire library on Nuon dome and finally got to play some Doom! :D Had a lot of fun with the more powerful relative of the Atari Jaguar.

As the year comes to a close I mainly play Ballistic and Tetris, some good times. Still hope to get a dev setup going, and still want to recompile a copy of Return of Heracles for the Atari 800 emulator. I amassed some good information, and mostly that helped in getting the Tempest 3000 soundtrack that I was able to pass on to help in the showcasing of the rotary controller.

So for all of you out there, I hope this year is concluding well, and look forward to seeing you all next year!

-Doctor Clu

• Like 5

• 6 months later...

Currently playing Merlin Racing on the Nuon, working to complete the Adventure game. Beat Dr. Freo (got the first of four gems) and completed nine of the races. Want to see where I am and try it out on your Nuon? Here's my current code...

LNTWTDBR

Has anyone ever said if one character has any other speed/traction/Acceleration advantages over the other characters?

I tried to race Dr. Freo with Rocco (Racoon) but had to use Picco (the armadillo) to finally defeat him.

Been a few days but still making progress on the Merlin Carts adventure settings.

By the way, you know that long intro at the very beginning? If that is too long for you, just hit "start" I found out and it skips to the game. Another Youtuber did a review on the game and that was one of their gripes.

Here is a video showing the fourth boss, Kepler

http://youtu.be/OBdVt5F3bQs

Here is a video made of racing the first boss, Dr. Freo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFdrO0Pcpyo

Below I've got my latest code which allows you to play the 21st race, and allows you to race the fourth boss, Kepler if you want to play along.

The other thing included was something I asked about some time ago that apparently did not exist but will now: the stats to all the drivers! A crude scribble, but this is based on their character descriptions in the manual.

post-4709-0-57794000-1500653719_thumb.jpg

post-4709-0-97563600-1500660071_thumb.jpg

Another fun thing, once you put in the password you can race as the previous bosses I defeated in Adventure mode. So now you can race as Dr. Freo, Rosie, and Piasa. Hopefully I can add Kepler and the Witch to that line up in the future. :D

Back to the races!

Edited by doctorclu

• 2 weeks later...