IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

FYI, Freefall can still be obtained reasonably priced ($10 or less) on Amazon. MovieMars specifically seems to have several copies. I remember buying a copy from them years ago when I found a Samsung model, and now that I've got another unit (SD2300) I just bought yet another copy from them. It seems they still have more in stock. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Freefall-3050-D-Game/dp/B00004ZETS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501932246&sr=8-1&keywords=freefall+ad

• Like 1

FYI, Freefall can still be obtained reasonably priced ($10 or less) on Amazon. MovieMars specifically seems to have several copies. I remember buying a copy from them years ago when I found a Samsung model, and now that I've got another unit (SD2300) I just bought yet another copy from them. It seems they still have more in stock. Link: https://www.amazon.com/Freefall-3050-D-Game/dp/B00004ZETS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501932246&sr=8-1&keywords=freefall+ad

That was cool to check out! :) I'm hearing that Freefall is an amazing game once you get used to it. Need to check it out again.

As for the SD-2300 I mentioned previously, looks like it's been sold.

I'm hearing that Freefall is an amazing game once you get used to it. Need to check it out again.

I am not so sure about that. It seems almost impossible to avoid projectiles in it. Diving or floating, you can't really do anything to avoid taking damage it seems.

Just purchaed this sd-2300 for $12 by driving 120 miles to a craigslist ad today... and unbeknownst to me, surprisingly, the person selling it had a copy of Next Tetris included with it!

That is an AMAZING score. when I got my SD-2300, partially with the hopes of getting Tetris, the system still had the mail in card which was already six months expired. So whoever had this system had the system from the very start and mailed in that card. Again, just awesome!

Now you can go and sell that Tetris for $80+ dollars on ebay. :P

------------------

So Austin was talking about Freefall 3050, he made a live stream of playing a whole bunch of Nuon games. You can check out all that action, once again on my favorite of all the Nuons (the SD-2300) right here..

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/168604361

That is an AMAZING score. when I got my SD-2300, partially with the hopes of getting Tetris, the system still had the mail in card which was already six months expired. So whoever had this system had the system from the very start and mailed in that card. Again, just awesome!

Now you can go and sell that Tetris for $80+ dollars on ebay. :P

------------------

So Austin was talking about Freefall 3050, he made a live stream of playing a whole bunch of Nuon games. You can check out all that action, once again on my favorite of all the Nuons (the SD-2300) right here..

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/168604361

Thanks Dr Clu. I know, I just about had a heart attack when I saw it. It's the only Nuon ISO besides Crayon Shin Chan 3 I didn't have yet so I immediately made a bin/cue of it once I arrived home from the trip. I did some research over the last week or so and found a company willing to purchase it for $165, but I don't have any intentions of selling it until I find another physical copy to replace it. Although I have almost every ISO, I also currently have physical copies of Tempest 3000, Merlin Racing & Bedazzled to go with the The Next Tetris so I'm like half way there to having the full set of Nuon content.. It's getting there.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally re-read the entire thread. Nothing much new Clu. I'm just patiently awaiting the rotary controller. When I get mine, I'll hook up my N501 to a 20" Sony PVR and get to play a proper game of Tempest 3000 on the glorious, glowy CRT again.

I sure wish I could get my hands on a dev kit for these. I had a lot of fun coding on mine when I first got it, but only getting to load code via CD-RW and having no debugging ability fairly quickly put an end to it.

• Like 1

post-4709-0-49911300-1522191642.jpg

So mostly good news.

While start, option and select are working, there is next to no feedback from the joystick. So you get to the screen to add a hero, and then no joystick controls.

So here we have the game:

nuon-Herc.zip

And I made a version with the basic cartridge zeroed out. It crashes if it tries to use basic, but at least the load will fail without having you go through the load needlessly.

nuon-Herc no-bas.zip

And for now I am out of ideas. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed the Nuon shenanigans that have been going on over the past few weeks, but it seems that somebody is attempting to replicate the speculation that happened with the controllers with the games themselves. All of the NOS of common games such as Freefall, Merlin Racing, and Ballistic on Ebay and Amazon (and elsewhere) seems to have very suddenly sold out, as have all other listed copies. Shortly afterwards, lisitngs have appeared that would seem to have sold for truly ridiculous amounts that copies would never have previously sold for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-GAME-LOT-X-2-NUON-GAMES-MERLIN-RACING-BALLISTIC/382418616843?hash=item5909ed020b:g:aaoAAOSw6ctatY~w

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Freefall-3050-A-D-Nuon-2000/112934668180?epid=56245478&hash=item1a4b6e4794:g:VAcAAOSwbxhaz9ne

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nuon-MERLIN-RACING-DVD-Interactive-CIB-Complete/273175109994?hash=item3f9a81616a:g:C88AAOSwiz5a3hwnc

...and a current listing for an ordinary 501 player having 27 watchers?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nuon-Gaming-System-Samsung-DVD-N501-no-remote/202225251571?hash=item2f159074f3:g:MBkAAOSwZR9af-6~

and a current auction for Freefalll with 11 bids so far?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nuon-FREEFALL-3050-A-D-DVD-Interactive-CIB-Complete/273170068938?epid=56245478&hash=item3f9a3475ca:g:c0IAAOSwZ-Ba2kal

Has a youtuber posted a new video of some sort, or is somebody just trying to speculate on Nuon commons by buying up all of the stock and then artificially inflating bids and BINs on what were perfectly cheap and available games just a few weeks ago?

I think the Nuon falls victim to quite a bit of eBay fakery. I've been looking for a "UK" version of the Nuon for awhile. About a year ago I noticed one but didn't have the cash so I didn't even think about it, then a few months ago I swore I saw the exact same images (given that it is the only one that popped up actually in the UK whenever I've looked for it) with a buy it now price of about £300 (with one or two games). Well, I think bidding got to about £20-30 and long before it ended it just disappeared, taken off, not bought. I messaged the seller asking why it'd been taken off, got no response; and I've presumed its a fake attempt at getting a guide price.

Had a nosey, theres this one going for £100 right now:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Rare-Samsung-n501-Enhanced-DVD-Player-with-Sealed-Games-and-Accessories/183187781604?hash=item2aa6d7b7e4:g:79EAAOSw4P1auipo

Is that a silly price?

Speaking of bugs, anyone that is familiar with Nuance if you have any idea what the error code I'm getting is, I would appreciate the input. Mind you, running this on Wine on my Mac. I am able to repeatedly hit return and have it step through the frames and I get an idea at least if a nuon.cd image is going to load or not. Beats burning disc after disc trying at least.

post-4709-0-70757800-1524899848.png

Edited by doctorclu

post-4709-0-14737900-1524906210.png

Tonight I hacked my Atari 800 hack of Bubsy: Kitt'N Kaboodle into Atari 800 emulation for the Nuon.

The lack of speed was not what bothered me but the controls. Return of Heracles the controller became unresponsive. Here the main character keeps jumping. :/

Anyway, fun to try. Maybe at some point I'll look and see if at least the controls could be better.

Bubsy.zip

Edited by doctorclu

• 1 month later...

Sadly in the trials of family life, my Nuon N505 DVD drive died, and then player went into a skip (dumpster).
I am really sad also that I no longer have all the stuff I collected and some I wrote for the Nuon in past years.
It was indeed a real pain developing for it by only being able to test by writing to a CD, so bravo to emulators.
It's good to see that in my years of work-driven isolation from the "scene", things have continued to progress.
Richard.

Sadly in the trials of family life, my Nuon N505 DVD drive died, and then player went into a skip (dumpster).

I am really sad also that I no longer have all the stuff I collected and some I wrote for the Nuon in past years.

It was indeed a real pain developing for it by only being able to test by writing to a CD, so bravo to emulators.

It's good to see that in my years of work-driven isolation from the "scene", things have continued to progress.

Richard.

I just realized that you are in the UK and that was a N505. :o

Oh well, how was the home brew of Doom on that one? I was trying to buy a N505 for a while but no one would sell to me as I was in the U.S. of A.

Richard.

Bummer to hear you lost your stuff. I agree, it was no fun only being able to burn to CDRW and test, no live debugging, etc.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...