IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

Jvas and I have been looking for months. Seems every retro hobby has that moment where you have to bite the bullet and pony up the cash.

Curently Warrior Nuon controller $149..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Warrior-Nuon-Controller/202385780507?hash=item2f1f21ef1b%3Ag%3Ar3oAAOSwrFxbWRSl&_sacat=0&_nkw=nuon+-neon&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313

Edited by doctorclu

Hey, I just noticed this thread!

I have 2 Nuon's. Toshiba SD-2300U and Samsung N501 both with remotes. The Samsung is a newer addition that I got a year or 2 ago. The Toshiba much longer.

I have only one Logitech controller and 5 games, Space Invaders XL, Tempest 3000, Merlin Racing, Freefall, and Ballistic.

I got the controller way back on Ebay for like $20 brand new, and I can not believe they got so expensive.

Do you guys know if someone is working on Nuon adapter that you could use, let say SNES controller with the Nuon? I know the connectors are hard to come by, but if we could have just the wires, then we could solder the corresponding plug to the test points.

I have a broken SNES I could use the controller input jack.

I found this document explaining the joystick protocol: http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/1383659488_NUON-Architecture-26-OEM.pdf

Rotary controller now available as announced on the Jaguar thread.

"$50 for the board to build yourself(Its easy, like wiring up a arcade cabinet, just time consuming and the spinner is about $100 for a good one) or we can construct a controller from scratch for $300.

Lee Olivares(Eltoozero, the creator) is hand crafting them like he did with his Yak Spinner prototype. They will look nice
These boards also contain a digital input as well so you can controll games like Iron Soldier 3.
let me know
Cole"

• 2 months later...

I bought a DVD-N501 a little while ago on on eBay that according to the seller, but It was packed pretty badly. The system seemed to work, turned on disc went in and out so I assumed it worked. I finally found a nuon controller for a not insane amount of money. I finally got around to trying a burned disc but it just sits there loading, the disc spins up but get an error saying that the disc can not be read. So I am guessing it's the laser that's gone out, if so what is a replacement for it.

I bought a DVD-N501 a little while ago on on eBay that according to the seller, but It was packed pretty badly. The system seemed to work, turned on disc went in and out so I assumed it worked. I finally found a nuon controller for a not insane amount of money. I finally got around to trying a burned disc but it just sits there loading, the disc spins up but get an error saying that the disc can not be read. So I am guessing it's the laser that's gone out, if so what is a replacement for it.

It could have been a poor burn, too, or maybe it doesn't like your brand of CDr. I suggest finding and trying a real game first (hopefully Merlin Racing or Freefall aren't too expensive now) before deeming it dead.

It could have been a poor burn, too, or maybe it doesn't like your brand of CDr. I suggest finding and trying a real game first (hopefully Merlin Racing or Freefall aren't too expensive now) before deeming it dead.

My take on it: when you set up the disc image make sure to throw in a video file of several hundred megs. Pads it up a little bit.

This gives the drive time to spin up and read what is on the disc. I did for for Doom and all the other fan brews and it worked great.

My take on it: when you set up the disc image make sure to throw in a video file of several hundred megs. Pads it up a little bit.

This gives the drive time to spin up and read what is on the disc. I did for for Doom and all the other fan brews and it worked great.

I can vouch for this method. But nuons dont usually have problems reading discs, as long as theyre burned correctly. Also, using imgburn for isos and Alcohol 120% for the others helps. It helps to test the drive with a retail dvd movie and a music cd. It they dont work either, then its the drive for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked ballblazer as it was the only game I could find under $100. It did work, so I bought some DVD-Rs and I was able to get tempest to boot. It doesn't always boot but I am glad I tried this title downloaded. I would have been pissed if I would have spent $300 on this blurry mess. Is there anyway to fix this becuase tempest 3000 was my primary reason for buying a nuon?

I picked ballblazer as it was the only game I could find under $100. It did work, so I bought some DVD-Rs and I was able to get tempest to boot. It doesn't always boot but I am glad I tried this title downloaded. I would have been pissed if I would have spent $300 on this blurry mess. Is there anyway to fix this becuase tempest 3000 was my primary reason for buying a nuon?

I believe there is a way to turn down the effects. But I know what you mean, the graphics get to be a bit much.

Tempest 4000 (PS4) they seemed to learn from that, though there are the times you get the "beautiful" mega laser effect for a few seconds and everything gets a little wonky.

I've made an offer on Nuon Dome and there are other messages going on there too. Just FYI. :D

Here you go...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-NUON-Enhanced-DVD-N501-DVD-Player-Gaming-System-with-Samsung-Remote/332831518443?epid=55031734&hash=item4d7e4deeeb:g:KYkAAOSwYSBbXgWW:rk:7:pf:0

Then if you are just getting this for Tempest 3000 (which actually is a lot of fun) then look back in this thread to those making rotary controllers for $300 or you can get the board for $50 and make the rotary yourself.

Here you go...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-NUON-Enhanced-DVD-N501-DVD-Player-Gaming-System-with-Samsung-Remote/332831518443?epid=55031734&hash=item4d7e4deeeb:g:KYkAAOSwYSBbXgWW:rk:7:pf:0

Then if you are just getting this for Tempest 3000 (which actually is a lot of fun) then look back in this thread to those making rotary controllers for $300 or you can get the board for $50 and make the rotary yourself.

Or you can use the board to turn any cheap usb controller into a nuon controller ❤

Cant wait to get my hands on those boards!

• Like 1

Or you can use the board to turn any cheap usb controller into a nuon controller ❤

Cant wait to get my hands on those boards!

Same. I may not be ready to plop down $300 for a rotary, but I have put my name on the list to get an analog and digital board (one for the standard controller and one for the rotary controller.) Figure I can tinker with the boards later if nothing else.

In the options menu there is a setting to disable the blur and/or background effects. I highly recommend disabling it.

Also, using the NUON with component video helps a lot. It's the crispest image you'll get out of it, which helps a lot with T3K in particular.

• 2 weeks later...

In the options menu there is a setting to disable the blur and/or background effects. I highly recommend disabling it.

Also, using the NUON with component video helps a lot. It's the crispest image you'll get out of it, which helps a lot with T3K in particular.

I disabled background and was able to get up to level 5, but the trying to see the spike is really hard. I am playing using component on a NEC XM2950G.