IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

Speechless for now. More to come.

Sounds like it is a workable rotary controller. I only say that because I played with varying levels of workable with a rotary spinner on the Jaguar. But Tempest 3000 is a fun game and glad we now have a rotary for it.

Speechless for now. More to come.

https://youtu.be/KgzRSHth5kA

Looks like it works really well. Does the resolution of the rotary feel right?

Imagine have a slider or a rotary controller to adjust the resolution of the rotary controller (i.e change the speed rate of turning).

Wow, I am thinking about buying the kit for this again.

The sensitivity feels fine. Theres no way to adjust it though. Its a physical characteristic of how this particular rotary is made. The only way would be to take it apart and replace the optical disk, which i have seen done. I would say that it does what I want and it feels natural. Think more arcade Tempest and less T2K with a modded Jag pad.

Edited by nicolaspersijn

Just FYI for those who have the same failure mode as me, replacing the drive will now fix the issue. This is kind of sad as I have put quite a bit of money into the Nuon between controllers and retail games. I am not super excited about the idea of dumping a minimum of another $150 towards a replacement console especially since mine only last a little over a month. Is there a really good Nuon emulator or matter of fact any at all?

Just a couple things for you Nuon dudes and dudettes.

N501 Death

I've got a stack of broken N501's; we're looking into the "no video" issue but I can independently confirm it is not the transport but is at least isolated to the "extiva" board (or whichever one is not the "jack" board).

The symptom is: load displayed on the VFD display, and no video output.

Toshiba has been more reliable in general and fits fatter firewire cable shrouds better without modification but doesn't have as many VLM presets, if that's your thing.

Yak Twister Boards

On the Yak Twister boards, the initial beta-10 batch is out and everyone that's built a controller is happy.

I'm revising the board and I'll have a fresh set sometime this quarter available for purchase, interested parties should get in touch with me directly via email: lee@braains.net.

I've been a bit slow with replies, requests will be handled in due course, please understand this is my second side-gig.

Do not PM me on the forums, I just don't have time - please just email me.

N501 Death

I've got a stack of broken N501's; we're looking into the "no video" issue but I can independently confirm it is not the transport but is at least isolated to the "extiva" board (or whichever one is not the "jack" board).

The symptom is: load displayed on the VFD display, and no video output.

Are you going to troubleshoot those and find out what's causing the problem? Maybe possibly a fix?

Are you going to troubleshoot those and find out what's causing the problem? Maybe possibly a fix?

Yea that's the plan but it's not high on my list of priorities, certainly not above getting a fresh set of Yak Twisters available for folks who would like one.

Once there's news on that front I'll update the thread.

• Like 1

Yea that's the plan but it's not high on my list of priorities, certainly not above getting a fresh set of Yak Twisters available for folks who would like one.

Once there's news on that front I'll update the thread.

That would be nice as I won't be able to make use of mine until I get a working Nuon again.

I really want a Samsung N501/N504 for the extra VLM effects and for homebrew. The N501 pops up on ebay in America from time to time. Not seen any nuon stuff in England for a while. I have a Toshiba at the mo which works great with Tempest 3000. Hoping to source a copy of Iron Soldier 3 eventually. Will this work okay on the Toshiba? Was it not recalled for some reason?

Well after reading through here the n501 randomly dies.

You run that risk with anything like this that's old. Buy a working unit and enjoy it while you can. Of course, snag a 504 if you see one at a decent price, but they seem to be pretty rare. It's not something I would bet on.

Just had a good go at Tempest 3000. Unfortunately discovered that my logitech controller has a bad right shoulder button. It feels soft when pushed and only clicks when released ?!? I think I might try taking it apart. Maybe need to replace the membrane with something.

Anyone got a suggestions?

After playing Tempest 3000, I am of the opinion that it is better than Tempest 2000 or 4000! More colourful, more fun. The music is slightly better. A really awesome game. TxK on the vita is good but overall 3000 is my current favourite.

Is there a good place to get Nuon Controllers? I finally found a system but controller seems just as rare.

In this thread, Lee(eltoozero) has created a board as a kit that can be wired up for a controller and Nick(nicolaspersijn) is constructing them prebuilt in this thread a few comments above. Reach out to Lee directly for more info(lee@braains.net) or to Nick(on here) directly

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can Nuon Games work on other systems? It is a DVD right? Wouldn't something like a PS2 or something else might work?

Can somebody try ago find out if Nuon Games are comparable on other devices?

No. Nuon games only work on most (not even all) Nuon players and the emulator. And yet, some non-Nuon titles, the many different Interactive DVD games, will work on Nuon players, as they are still DVD players.

https://fmvworld.com/console_dvd.html

Edited by Blazing Lazers