IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

Has anybody given this guide a shot.? My Nuons DVD drive is showing signs of failure (opens up randomly after putting a disc in) and there's tons of Samsung DVD-M105 units on Ebay for cheap. I bought a cheap, broken Nuon system off ebay to practice with but any advice would be welcome.

All I know is what I've heard. People bought the M105 and were able to install them. Do wish you the best of luck in keeping the beloved Nuon working.

I'll give it a shot. I've been collecting old consoles for a bit now and the Nuon seems by far the closest to extinction, with near zero interest from gamers/preservationists, no playable emulator, high prices and pretty terrible build quality on most models, as you'd expect from a DVD player from 2001. I'm definitely keen to get a few more of them working if it's possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on that broken Nuon. It works! Took maybe 10 minutes to switch around the DVD drives, but the 'broken' Nuon I got off ebay for $37 (!!) is now perfectly working, even better than my other Nuon System. If anybody has issues with the disc drive, just buy an old DVD-M105 for ~$60 off ebay and switch around the DVD drive. Easiest thing to do and it might just save your aging Nuon system in the future!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Austin said:

Just wanted to give some of you a heads up in advance that I will be streaming my SD2300 this upcoming Thursday on YouTube. Stream goes live at 9PM (ET). I plan on dabbling with the seven games released in North America. If you're around, stop in and say hello! Link: https://www.youtube.com/c/gameplayandtalk/live.

Cool, I might check in and see.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Thought this was interesting... CafePress is apparently back.  They had a lot of Nuon stuff that the Nuon Dome set up like this stuff...

1310754332_ScreenShot2019-07-26at7_42_43PM.thumb.png.6fd9589537ca7df79c298283fa35e65c.png

1532657255_ScreenShot2019-07-26at7_42_54PM.thumb.png.6ddb4d0972dab8d951fa0bd97430072e.png684776371_ScreenShot2019-07-26at7_42_36PM.thumb.png.3bc7940163392ab82deedfa85e1df9bb.png

That $5.99 Nuon sticker came in handy for the CD case holding my Nuon collection.   Just sayin'.

I wasn't aware that they'd ever gone away...

As it happens, I recently purchased an extra "Tempest 3000 is reason enough" mug to go with the first one I bought years ago. It arrived quickly and safely. I'm happy to vouch for CafePress and their Nuon items.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

At long last I managed to buy a Samsung N501 on ebay. I live in the UK and they don't get listed very often. The extra VLM effects compared to the Toshiba sd2300 are totally awesome. Really looking forward to trying out the homebrew and have downloaded the development kit software with a view to writing some code. I have some c++/openGL code  already to try out. I will say that the picture does not seem quite as good on the Samsung N501 as the Toshiba. It is slightly blurrier on the N501 and the blacks are 'blacker' on the Toshiba. Blacks look more grey on the Samsung.

Now for the bad news! Just switched on my Samsung and there is no picture. The DVD display says 'hello' when switching on then changes to 'load'. The drive makes a little noise trying to check for a disc, I think but stays displaying 'load'. It sounds a bit wrong.. I can switch off with power button or remote and display says 'goodbye'. Open/close does not open the tray. This is very upsetting. I have only just bought this DVD player and it worked perfectly to start with. It was not a cheap purchase.

Anyone know of a fix for this issue!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, joeyaage said:

At long last I managed to buy a Samsung N501 on ebay. I live in the UK and they don't get listed very often. The extra VLM effects compared to the Toshiba sd2300 are totally awesome. Really looking forward to trying out the homebrew and have downloaded the development kit software with a view to writing some code. I have some c++/openGL code  already to try out. I will say that the picture does not seem quite as good on the Samsung N501 as the Toshiba. It is slightly blurrier on the N501 and the blacks are 'blacker' on the Toshiba. Blacks look more grey on the Samsung.

Now for the bad news! Just switched on my Samsung and there is no picture. The DVD display says 'hello' when switching on then changes to 'load'. The drive makes a little noise trying to check for a disc, I think but stays displaying 'load'. It sounds a bit wrong.. I can switch off with power button or remote and display says 'goodbye'. Open/close does not open the tray. This is very upsetting. I have only just bought this DVD player and it worked perfectly to start with. It was not a cheap purchase.

That is what mine did a couple of years ago.  I don't hook it up often, but I recently did and it worked again...  I really don't know what the issue is.  In terms of trouble shooting - it may have been plugged in for a long time when it failed, and it was certainly not plugged in for a long time when it worked again...  other than that, there were no other changes..

21 hours ago, joeyaage said:

My N501 did that as well.  My two other Toshiba Nuons are still working great

On 8/15/2019 at 12:53 PM, Lost Monkey said:

That is what mine did a couple of years ago.  I don't hook it up often, but I recently did and it worked again...  I really don't know what the issue is.  In terms of trouble shooting - it may have been plugged in for a long time when it failed, and it was certainly not plugged in for a long time when it worked again...  other than that, there were no other changes..

I had it permantly plugged into TV with component cables but unplugged from the mains. We did have a big lightening storm. Maybe some weird earthing issue. It is all unplugged now, so perhaps if left alone it might work again in the future. I have a desktop PC that refused to switch on during Glastonbury festival a few years back but has been working perfectly ever since and before??!! 

Hi folks.

Apologies if it's a faux pas to post this here. It was this very thread that lead me to these forums, and I'm hoping you fans still keep an eye on it.

I'm selling a Samsung DVD-N2000, remote, NUON controller and Ballistic game bundle in the buy and trade section.

Please give me a shout if you're interested.

Thanks.

Saw a post on Reddit where a guy got a Nuon controller for a dollar.  Said it was mixed in with a box full of Xbox controllers that he bought all at a dollar a piece.  Who knows if that's all true or not, as sometimes it can be hard to tell on Reddit, but there was at least a picture of a controller with a $2 sticker on it.  (They said it was half off day so it was only a dollar.)  If I find the post, I'll link it.

Edit:  Here's the link...  https://old.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/cticgc/had_no_idea_what_this_samsung_controller_was_when/

Edited by Eltigro
Found Link

6 hours ago, Eltigro said:

Saw a post on Reddit where a guy got a Nuon controller for a dollar.  Said it was mixed in with a box full of Xbox controllers that he bought all at a dollar a piece.  Who knows if that's all true or not, as sometimes it can be hard to tell on Reddit, but there was at least a picture of a controller with a $2 sticker on it.  (They said it was half off day so it was only a dollar.)  If I find the post, I'll link it.

Edit:  Here's the link...  https://old.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/cticgc/had_no_idea_what_this_samsung_controller_was_when/

It really doesn't surprise me. NUON controllers typically look pretty generic and it's easy to imagine they would be overlooked or mistaken for something more common.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to give my fellow Nuon buffs a heads-up that I have a loose IS3 copy and a new Logitech controller up for trade or for offer in addition to my previously mentioned Nuon rarities:

...It took me the better part of 20 years to be finally play an original disc on one of my personal systems, but I finally got to it not long ago.

I also have to say that I'm surprised that so many are reporting dead or dying 501 units, as mine continues to work just fine. I might just be lucky, but if they really are ticking time bombs I have to say thanks for the replacement and refurbishment tips that have posted. I hope to never need them, but it's reassuring to know that these systems can be made operational again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2019 at 8:20 AM, marktC said:

ìs there anywhere you can download Nuon ISO files?

Sadly no where to download that I know of.

Someone got a controller for dollar?   Doesn't surprise me.  They are very generic looking.

I actually found a spare controller the other day.  I had been looking for that like three years.  :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi!

Let me quickly introduce myself before i start with my actual topic: I fell in love with Tempest back in the Jaguar days, and am still a fan til today (along with all other Llamasoft spinoffs that were released over the years). I also collect old consoles and games, but still miss one of the preferred NUON players to ever have enjoyed T3K.  ?

So, back a decade ago, i fooled around with Nuance, the emulator, and now wanted to check back on the status of emulation. To my surprise, there are NO new emulators whatsoever. ? But, also to my surprise, the source code of Nuance was released on http://www.dragonshadow.com/

So i thought: why not give it a try and make it somehow compile again: Out of the box it did not work, as it missed some old libs, but thanks to the net, i could find versions that are close enough. And after some more time, i could make it compile and also work on my setup!

So here it is: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nuance-nuon-emulator/

And in the meantime i also made some more cleanups and fixes and optimizations, which lead to some bugs being fixed with (at least) Ballistic, T3K and Merlin Racing.

Unfortunately, (at least) Merlin Racing and T3K still crash or hang during actual gameplay, and i don't know if i can actually make these work at some point, given that i don't have the experience of the passed away author. But nevertheless, if this helps to get things going again with NUON emulation, then i'm glad to have helped.

There are still some things i want to do, especially with regards to optimizations and some fishy code, so there will at least be some more updates to the code until i need to pass this to somebody else.

Now some request: Does somebody know if Merlin Racing or T3K gamplay ever did work with some version of Nuance, with some special cfg setting combination maybe? Cause i thought i played T3K back in the days with it, although it was at <5 fps for sure.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing: Does somebody know if someone else also already started with tweaking the released source, so that we could combine our efforts? I couldn't find any indication myself though.

Edited by toxie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1