IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

Just wanted to remind NUON fans that the official NUON-Dome forum is still up and running and we are trying to get stuff going on the NUON

https://www.thehelper.net/forums/nuon-dome-general-discussion.80/

If you want to talk NUON this is the place to do it.  The last bastion of NUON on the net resides here!  Don't let it die.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chris Brockman said:

Just wanted to remind NUON fans that the official NUON-Dome forum is still up and running and we are trying to get stuff going on the NUON

If you want to talk NUON this is the place to do it.  The last bastion of NUON on the net resides here!  Don't let it die.

This is a nice thread, too! Why can't we all just get along? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2020 at 12:35 AM, Chris Brockman said:

I have linked this thread in the NUON forum I just want to keep NUON alive you guys can post here or there I don't care as long as you LOVE the NUON!

I just joined the other NUON forum. If you're an admin over there, please approve me at your earliest convenience. Thanks!

5 hours ago, Songbird said:

Does this news belong here? :D

https://songbird-productions.com/2020/12/02/its-the-most-wonderful-time-of-the-year-part-1/

d9cc2b60-9498-47d2-ba49-91ac617d8273.png

Looking to open pre-orders soon to gauge interest on this!

Wow, this is awesome news! To clarify, I'm assuming this will be a reproduction but in a pretty package with case and manual? Will it be in the signature NUON-style gold-colored DVD case? You gonna buy up a bunch of "A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" DVDs as donor cases? Thanks for showing the NUON some love, Carl!

• Like 1

This will be a professionally mastered DVD (not DVD-R) with glossy 28-page printed instructions and DVD case. I haven't looked into the case color yet, but will either be gold or black depending on what the manufacturer can source. No changes to the game itself; it is strictly a licensed reprint of the original release. Still working out the details on pricing, but it will depend on the pre-order interest; hoping for at least 100 orders to really make the numbers work.

• Like 4

This is awesome!  Thank you Carl for making this happen especially now as the NUON is starting to heat up.  I would like to ask you if you have heard of the NUON game Decaying Orbit?  It is by Dragonshadow and he was the NUON guy at VM Labs one of the last employees to leave.  It is an exceptional game and it is homebrew and only available as far as I know on the NUON Games and Demo Disc which K3V released I think from NUON-Dome?  If there was interest I bet Dragonshadow would license it and would be a great release for the NUON.  If you need some contact information for him let me know or post something on the official NUON forum https://www.thehelper.net/forums/nuon-dome-general-discussion.80/

http://www.nuon-dome.com/decaying_orbit.html

Edited by The Helper
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2020 at 9:46 PM, amiman99 said:

I'm still looking in Goodwill for a donor Samsung DVD player to fix my Samsung NUON. Someday...

Like I said before, I have broken Samsung NUON 501. First problem was that it always displays LOAD, and the disk tray will not open or close, second no Video output. I was thinking that the disk drive is bad.

So, today I found Samsung DVD Player M301 in Goodwill for $10.

The DVD drive is the same part number, I was able to swap the drives, and.... same problem. It's still dead.

I swapped the Nuon motherboard to the M301 to see if the power supply board is OK, and because all ribbon cables matched it all fit fine.  Same problem.

It looks like the motherboard is dead. It's not displaying the Samsung logo at all.

I'm not sure now what the problem might be. I will try to see if the xtals are working.

• Sad 2

On 12/3/2020 at 9:51 PM, Songbird said:

Thanks for the support, everyone! I need to figure out a good system for pre-orders, which will take me a few days. In the meantime, feel free to spread the word and I will post on my new Twitter account too. https://twitter.com/SongbirdPro

This is all amazing Carl.  I was just thinking after seeing this on the Jaguar forum "This needs to go on that Nuon thread we have here"  and well, it was already here.  :P    Still got my 501 and 2300 Nuons, and could probably use an original copy of this again.  Never had the manual so that will be nice to see.

And how nice this will look on a shelf with the Jaguar Iron Soldier 1 and 2.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 11:11 PM, Chris Brockman said:

Always loved the Nuon Dome and spent a lot of time there.

I'm on there posting away again!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, doctorclu said:

This is all amazing Carl.  I was just thinking after seeing this on the Jaguar forum "This needs to go on that Nuon thread we have here"  and well, it was already here.  :P    Still got my 501 and 2300 Nuons, and could probably use an original copy of this again.  Never had the manual so that will be nice to see.

And how nice this will look on a shelf with the Jaguar Iron Soldier 1 and 2.

Cool that you still have your stuff Clu.  I do as well.  Did you ever get an IS3 disc from Nuon Dome back in the day?  I still have mine.  I'm sad that I was never able to secure a dev kit when I was coding mine.  With no debugging support and having to burn a CDRW every time, I just gave up.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Cool that you still have your stuff Clu.  I do as well.  Did you ever get an IS3 disc from Nuon Dome back in the day?  I still have mine.  I'm sad that I was never able to secure a dev kit when I was coding mine.  With no debugging support and having to burn a CDRW every time, I just gave up.

I might get your help though on the debugging.  The controls on the Atari 800 emulator for Nuon don't exactly work right.  Want to see if we can get that working.

So my story for Iron Soldier 3 was a long one.   Picked up a 2300 in like 2001-2002 but by then the card that came with it was already expired.   Oh yeh that was for Tetris... nevermind!

So I did order for like $150 a Tetris and Iron Soldier 3 combo through some guy on Atariage I want to say.   The package was lost in the mail.   Guy refunded half the amount, and the postal carrier was made to pay the other half.

I didn't have Tetris till a few years ago, but I got ahold of a copy of Iron Soldier 3  fairly quick, like around 2002-2003.   We had picked up the 2300 for a friend, and I had the N2000.   Found Iron Soldier 3 played better on the 2300 so friend offered to trade.   Why I have the 2300 now.

And few years ago I sold my rarer Nuon titles.

I think I would like to pick up a new copy of Iron Soldier 3 for that 28 page manual at the very least.

How about you?  (And others can chime in on their Iron Solider 3 tales)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doctorclu said:

I think I would like to pick up a new copy of Iron Soldier 3 for that 28 page manual at the very least.

How about you? 

I got my Samsung 501 when I heard VMLabs were releasing the SDK.  I sold my 1st DVD player, an Apex 600 (hacked to be multi-region, no macrovision, etc.) on Ebay for more than I bought it new, and used that money to finance the 501 :)

Was very involved in coding for it for some time - this is when a few original VM Labs engineers were still actively posting in the forums.  I helped debug the PacMan clone that was released, and added a pause feature to it.  Being so involved with it (and Jaguar), I of course heard of and got a free one from Nuon Dome.  Kevin & I attended Philly Classic 5 where I demoed some Nuon stuff.  Great times!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I got my Samsung 501 when I heard VMLabs were releasing the SDK.  I sold my 1st DVD player, an Apex 600 (hacked to be multi-region, no macrovision, etc.) on Ebay for more than I bought it new, and used that money to finance the 501 :)

When the N501 came out the Nuon games were already selling at Best Buy for $5 a piece.

Still I applied for a Best Buy card... and was turned down.   :(

Roughly 17 years later I was at a pawn shop and they had a N501 for sale for $20.   Was great.   I bought another N501 shortly after for a good price, and had one controller or two N501s.  :D   And it was then I got to play with the home brew library of the Nuon.

• Like 2