IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

On 7/13/2021 at 5:49 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Yes, you'll definitely want the OEM remote intended for that player. The analog stick is quite good for a remote! You can at least play Ballistic that way. Most other games will result in you throwing it across the room out of frustration...still good to have, though, and hopefully it will hold you over until you can get a proper gamepad.

Got the remote you linked me to. This is honestly a lot easier to understand than the other remote because it’s more clear to me what button does what here. 

52 minutes ago, P0LYB1UZ said:

Got the remote you linked me to. This is honestly a lot easier to understand than the other remote because it’s more clear to me what button does what here. 

Glad to hear! Right there is the power of an OEM remote designed for the player! Enjoy it.

17 minutes ago, mb13081 said:

Hi I have a question. It's basically impossible to get a real copy of Tempest 3000. If I want to play a burned copy of Tempest 3000 will it work on any model of Nuon DVD player? If I were to buy a Nuon which model do I need specifically?

I can vouch for the Toshiba 2300 and the N501 of course.   I'm sure the N2000 it would also work there.

1 hour ago, mb13081 said:

Hi I have a question. It's basically impossible to get a real copy of Tempest 3000. If I want to play a burned copy of Tempest 3000 will it work on any model of Nuon DVD player? If I were to buy a Nuon which model do I need specifically?

Not impossible to get a retail copy of Tempest 3000, you just have to have reallyyyy deep pockets these days! There's one currently on eBay for $500 and Mercari for $450. ?

If you're planning on using DVD-Rs often, you're best off with the Samsung DVD-N501, as that unit tends to play the nicest with burned DVDs *and* it is the only unit that will play homebrew (which must be on CD-Rs). This unit also has the most capable VLM. The Toshiba has the best remote, though. 

Some people, including @doctorclu, have had success with burned discs on the Toshiba SD-2300. I (as well as others here and on the Facebook group and Nuon-Dome Forums), have not been so lucky, so your mileage may vary. I've actually killed not one but TWO Toshiba units using DVD-Rs. My working theory is that the laser has to work harder on DVD-Rs compared to professionally glass-mastered DVDs (aka retail NUON discs), so the use of DVD-Rs on a Toshiba unit can wear out the laser faster and wreck your player. 

Meanwhile, DVD-Rs will not work at all on Samsung DVD-N2000 units. 

In short, get the N501, but don't be surprised if your laser eventually wears out on that player, too. It's just the nature of the beast. Optical media is the worst...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 2:05 PM, Songbird said:

I'm working with Lee to see if we can make some headway on a NUON controller option. Stay tuned...

I've just recently got myself a Toshiba SD2300 and N501... I bought IS3 and a faulty Jag pad from you (which is almost delivered). I plan to hack a generic toshiba remote (came by accident with the SD2300) into the Jag pad to see if I can make some kind of working controller for now... if you manage to make some new controllers with Lee then i'll be buying two! :) .... also if you happen to maaaybe at some point think about making a re-run of Tempest 3000 i'll be instantly buying a copy!!! 

1 hour ago, phipscube said:

I've just recently got myself a Toshiba SD2300 and N501... I bought IS3 and a faulty Jag pad from you (which is almost delivered). I plan to hack a generic toshiba remote (came by accident with the SD2300) into the Jag pad to see if I can make some kind of working controller for now... if you manage to make some new controllers with Lee then i'll be buying two! :) .... also if you happen to maaaybe at some point think about making a re-run of Tempest 3000 i'll be instantly buying a copy!!! 

Welcome to the Nuon scene! A couple notes: a generic Toshiba remote inside of a Jag pad won't do much of anything. Nuon controllers have a special OEM proprietary polyface chip that communicates with the Nuon player. Without this, you won't be able to control games...Songbird was able to do a reprint of IS3 because he acquired the rights to do so from the original copyright holder. It's extremely unlikely the same thing will be possible with Tempest 3000, given that Atari has an active copyright on that and is still making Tempest games. Cheers. 

48 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Welcome to the Nuon scene! A couple notes: a generic Toshiba remote inside of a Jag pad won't do much of anything. Nuon controllers have a special OEM proprietary polyface chip that communicates with the Nuon player. Without this, you won't be able to control games...Songbird was able to do a reprint of IS3 because he acquired the rights to do so from the original copyright holder. It's extremely unlikely the same thing will be possible with Tempest 3000, given that Atari has an active copyright on that and is still making Tempest games. Cheers. 

I'm going to basically use the jag pad as a shell for the remote. The IR diode will poke out where the wire would be and i'll make some holes to insert batteries. I'll wire A to enter, B to return and C to number 4 (so it at least has all the buttons needed for Tempest) and then maybe some of the keypad to other buttons if I can. Its more for fun than anything, not expecting it to be any good :)

Yeah its probably never gonna happen with Tempest 3000 re-issue... but one can wish :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have managed to make the joypad hack! It works reasonably well. The biggest drawback is that the receiver only accepts one button press at a time, it cannot handle multi button presses (eg direction + fire, has to be direction or fire) so it takes a little practice to play for example Tempest. But I found a way with tapping quickly the directions and fire alternately. Once the first powerup comes and autofire is active it is much better! I have tested Ballistic too and that works really well! It works with freefall but is just as unplayable as with a real digital only pad... it relies on analogue and this doesn't have it. I don't have Merlin racing, Tetris or Space Invaders yet but I think it could be ok with them too

20210824_215132.jpg

20210824_224327.jpg

20210824_224921.jpg

20210824_224933.jpg

20210824_225506.jpg

• Like 5

Oh that is mondo cool!!   While it may not be perfect, that wireless tech will only improve.  Now you have proven this is doable!  :D

Now are we brave enough for a Nuon controller?  :P

And... part of me wonders if the old radio controlled joysticks for the 2600 .. if the parts at least, could be used with Nuon and Jaguar controllers?

Hmmm... I think I still have one of those.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Oh that is mondo cool!!   While it may not be perfect, that wireless tech will only improve.  Now you have proven this is doable!  :D

Now are we brave enough for a Nuon controller?  :P

And... part of me wonders if the old radio controlled joysticks for the 2600 .. if the parts at least, could be used with Nuon and Jaguar controllers?

Hmmm... I think I still have one of those.

If it worked with multibutton it would feel pretty ok for games that work with digital only. I'm not really sure if the limitation is the remotes controller chip or the unit. Maybe some of the Nuon gurus know? Its the same with the original Toshiba SD2300 remote and also with the N501. But if a more advanced IR controller could be used the that would help. The other problem is not all games work with IR and the ones that do have no way to use analogue stick input via IR. So if say an N64 controller was used in the hack instead, then there is no way to harness the analogue stick (or even extra buttons for that matter) on the IR input. The games would need patching or re-coding or something fancy that I don't understand :)

I have wondered why VM Labs didn't make wireless (IR or radio freq) the standard, and have maybe an all in one remote/game controller. I have a Commodore CDTV which uses a similar idea and its remote/controller is ok for games. Its much simpler 2 button affair but its fine for Amiga games.

There was a wireless controller on its way but it was way too late

It could be possible to make a wireless controller but it would need to interface with the control ports via an adapter... but then there is the whole polyface chip problem too...

As for hacking existing pads with polyface chips to be wireless, well it could be possible but beyond my understanding. All i've done here is hacked into the remote and extended the buttons to the jag pad buttons

Edited by phipscube
Spelling
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, toxie said:

Minor update for the Nuance emulator, 0.6.1: https://sourceforge.net/projects/nuance-nuon-emulator/files/latest/download

Some optimizations and some timing improvements. Also made some progress understanding the T3K timing issue (leading to the hangs), but unfortunately still no progress fixing it.  ?

So glad to see you back.  I promise to do quick testing and get back to you with bug reports in a timely manner.

• 1 month later...

I finally got a logitech controller for a reasonable price, but quickly found out how useless the analogue stick is due to there not being enough travel.

I followed a guide on nuon dome that suggests making the stick thinner which I thought would be a much nicer solution than making the hole in the casing bigger. Plus I have an old wingman pad hanging around that has the exact same stick in it. I can keep the original safe and hack the wingman stick instead 

There is an inner thinner stick buried inside the outer part of the stick and its just a matter of carefully cutting the outer away to reveal it

About 1 hour of cutting, snipping and filing later I was done and now the controller works great!

Here's some photos :)

20211025_211026.jpg

20211026_204738.jpg

20211026_204904.jpg

20211026_210633.jpg

20211026_212635.jpg

20211026_213542.jpg

20211026_215138.jpg

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 7:49 AM, phipscube said:

I finally got a logitech controller for a reasonable price, but quickly found out how useless the analogue stick is due to there not being enough travel. ...

Have to say I guess I use the D-Pad a lot of the time.  But having tinkered with the Wingman controller I could appreciate this!

And hope my fellow Nuon users had a great Thanks Giving!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey, folks. I was wondering if anybody has any updates on the controllers that Songbird was working on (if i recall correctly?) There seems to be a logitech controller currently available on ebay, which might be my go-to if not, but I was curious if anyone had heard anything first

This is still in the works. Unfortunately we have not been able to find any significant stock of the custom polyface chips which are required for NUON controllers, so our next plan is to map out what the polyface does and build a custom circuit to emulate it. We're planning on starting this in January. That means we're still a number of months away before the controllers would be ready, which is why I haven't posted any recent updates.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Songbird said:

This is still in the works. Unfortunately we have not been able to find any significant stock of the custom polyface chips which are required for NUON controllers, so our next plan is to map out what the polyface does and build a custom circuit to emulate it. We're planning on starting this in January. That means we're still a number of months away before the controllers would be ready, which is why I haven't posted any recent updates.

Good to know. Thanks for the response! I’m probably going to nab the logitech one for the time being. I’ll certainly be ordering a copy of IS3 so I can at least support the effort.

• Like 2

Well this is interesting… the logitech controller looks and feels great, like it’s never been used before- but when I went to test it it was entirely unresponsive [tested with Ballistic]. Any advice? The game loaded fine and I already know my Toshiba runs wonderfully

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, P0LYB1UZ said:

Well this is interesting… the logitech controller looks and feels great, like it’s never been used before- but when I went to test it it was entirely unresponsive [tested with Ballistic]. Any advice? The game loaded fine and I already know my Toshiba runs wonderfully

Make sure it's pushed all the way into the port. You really need to shove it in there (that's what she said). Design flaw for sure. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What a simple fix! I’m glad it just wasn’t in all the way. My copy of Tempest 3000 arrived today so I gave it a good jostle and tested that one out. Absolutely in love. I’m in love. This is exactly what I wanted a Nuon for

• Like 4