IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

On 1/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, The Helper said:

The only NUON controller with analog I believe is the Logitech version - it is defective though as it does not get the full range of analog motion unless you mod the opening on the controller to allow full range.

I did not like Freefall at all - I highly recommend staying clear of that game.  There is really no gameplay in it and the graphics and frame rate are terrible.

Its much neater and easier to modify the stick barrel to make it thinner, thus move to the full extent needed. I've done so on my own and another Nuon buddys controllers. See my post a few pages back for details. Attached are some before and after on some I did the other day

20220105_211332.jpg

20220110_222228.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/8/2022 at 7:06 PM, The Helper said:

The NUON Authentication Tools - I am about ready to just pay for this - how much do you guys think it would cost to get someone to get the Authentication tools working?

I am almost 100 percent sure I can recreate whatever development environment that was used on the current stuff on the Dragonshadow site via a virtual machine. But seriously, Dragonshadow likes NUON it is just way in his past, but some money might make it more attractive to do something. How much would we need though?

NUANCE has stuff going on, there is stuff going on with the controller shortage, but there is nothing going on with the Authentication Tools and this is something we have to work out.

We actually need to work out a whole development cycle to see if we can use a Jaguar Game Drive like device to get passed having to burn a new CD to work on original hardware but the challenges are there.

Authentication Tools though - need to figure out - how much does it cost to figure it out?

Maybe a donations page can be set up to help? I'm willing to send a donation towards this. I'd love to see an active development scene for the Nuon

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eltoozero said:

This is not meant to be confrontational, so I apologize if it comes off that way (it's often difficult to tell tone solely from the written word). Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't you been sitting on the last known stock of OEM polyface chips for years upon years? I did hear that you were now working with Songbird, which should hopefully expedite the process, but Carl checked in here two weeks ago stating that "Unfortunately we have not been able to find any significant stock of the custom polyface chips which are required for NUON controllers, so our next plan is to map out what the polyface does and build a custom circuit to emulate it." 

Curious as to why you haven't sold any of your "Rev. 2 Yak Twister Boards" despite significant interest/demand in the community? Nick P. has updated us periodically after checking in with you but nearly all updates are non-updates. 

I do appreciate you posting here but pictures of these chips asking for us to "pay for your show" without any context or anything is a little off-putting. Wouldn't selling some Yak twister boards and/or complete Nuon controllers help fund your show?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Blazing Lazers said:

Just to note, as a Nuon fan for over 20 years now, I would be willing to contribute towards any sort of crowdfunding that might emerge, particularly one that would allow for much more controller hardware and games to become playable. I'm sure that others are out there who would also be willing to assist such efforts.

Hear hear!

I wouldn't mind shelling out for better controls on the Atari 800 emulator for the Nuon for example.  Fire button is not working right.  Still want to get Return of Heracles running on Nuon.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jgkspsx said:

It’s so funny to have a system that is affordable and easy to find and controllers that are impossible.

The sad thing is, back in 2002 when Nuon was all but dead, there was a website called dvd-international (I guess they were the 'official' online store for Nuon games and accessories).  
The games and controllers were literally being given away at fire sale prices.  

I do remember buying a few extras, but sold them off on ebay long ago.  Before the crazy pricing took hold.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

It’s so funny to have a system that is affordable and easy to find and controllers that are impossible.

Definitely doesn't help when someone says new controllers are coming, announces them, says there are plenty of Polyface chips.  Then completely disappears for almost 2 years, only to come back and brag about having all the Polyface chips.  Then won't answer questions about why we can't buy them or the controllers that were supposedly done for 18+ months.  But instead wants us to "pay for a show".

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, eltoozero said:

Please leave me alone, if you have money to spend, make me an offer for a thing.

They aren't on the market for a reason, they don't exist.

I don't sell things, I fix things and make art, and I don't have any art for sale right now besides the show.

Fair enough Eltoozero.   I will disregard mentions of available controller boards, or even the last picture where you show something that looks like look a stack of controller boards.   I apologize for misunderstanding that such a thing existed.  I too have had fun with some April fools pranks here on Atariage.  You had us going for a while.

I won't ask for this vapor-ware item again.

So, that said will move forward and look forward to the projects Songbird is working on, and improvements on the Nuon emulator!  :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, eltoozero said:

Please leave me alone, if you have money to spend, make me an offer for a thing.

I don't sell things, I fix things and make art, and I don't have any art for sale right now besides the show.

So why were you on here for 5 or 6 years spouting off about having Polyface chips and working on a spinner board, having prototypes (Did you not get the news? Spinner is available) and this little gem from a few months ago (Sorry for the lack of updates guys; I’ve still got the junk to make more Yak Twisters, just been stuck on other projects and priorities.)?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Helper said:

Just saying that even though Yak Twister delayed everything badly stuff is still going on and stay tuned!

Thank you Helper, that is excellent news.   You've come through on projects in the past, so we look forward to what you have developing.

• Like 2

Just now, doctorclu said:

Thank you Helper, that is excellent news.   You've come through on projects in the past, so we look forward to what you have developing.

I have three things on my list - NUON Emulator - Controller Shortage - Authentication Tools

2 out of 3 are working now but they are NUON time - going to be a while - Authentication Tools are stalled.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, eltoozero said:

I'll give you 90 euros for 2x polyface chips and 2x controller boards with loose components (if you don't have all of the components, then a list of parts I need to find).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phipscube said:

I'll give you 90 euros for 2x polyface chips and 2x controller boards with loose components (if you don't have all of the components, then a list of parts I need to find).

Hi Nuon fans,

eltoozero asked to be left alone so I'd like to respect that on this thread.

He also suggested offering money for a thing, and though he claims the thing doesn't exist, please work with him if interested in PM and not on this thread.

At eltoozero's request let's put this to rest and move on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Hi Nuon fans,

eltoozero asked to be left alone so I'd like to respect that on this thread.

He also suggested offering money for a thing, and though he claims the thing doesn't exist, please work with him if interested in PM and not on this thread.

At eltoozero's request let's put this to rest and move on.

This is why we can't have nice things.

19 minutes ago, Stephen said:

This is why we can't have nice things.

Oh we've had lots of nice things over time.   Songbird re-releasing Iron Soldier III is one recent one.

All the fan games made by Nuon fans.  Nuon emulator, etc etc.  Not too many etcetras as the Nuon is a really niche fandom.

At the end of the day having been an Atari hobbyist for a while now you learn there are vaporware things that pop up every now and then.   When a hobbyist is unable to deliver on a promise I just say "Cool story bro" and move on to things more likely to materialize.

And who knows, you leave someone alone maybe they'll redouble their efforts and make their thing materialize later down the road.

Who... nose...

304218664_ScreenShot2022-01-14at9_11_15AM.png.38423d0348b6d5486d0481646f43765f.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

So some guy has hoarded all the polyface chips and is demanding payment or to be left alone?

That's what I'm getting from this.   Pretty wild I'll admit.

24 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

What's the point of hoarding such a vast quantity? 

Because he can?   Some people sit on assets and resources.  You can either pay a price they like, or find another source of whatever it is, or find a replacement.

That's commerce sometimes.

• Like 2

Totally understood there.

I guess as I've gotten older, the allure of hoarding rare physical items has diminished somewhat.

Perhaps I'm just surprised to see such an attitude persist in this community -- particularly with a really niche platform like the Nuon which never had a huge following in the first place.

Oh well, it's a free market.  Carry on and hoard away.