IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

2 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

Curious if anyone has seen this auction?

NUON demo CD auction

Don't really care about the pen or the French-language magazine, but that CD seems to have a ton of cool content.

Be interesting to see what's on it aside from the few screenshots that are provided.

Oh wow, gotta figure there's stuff on there that has never been out in the public domain before. That's really cool. Will be interesting to see how much it goes for when all is said and done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

NUON demo CD auction

Don't really care about the pen or the French-language magazine, but that CD seems to have a ton of cool content.

Be interesting to see what's on it aside from the few screenshots that are provided.

Man - I hope whoever gets this makes and releases a copy of that disc before it's lost forever.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, amiman99 said:

Toshiba may not work, last time I burned homebrew game it did not boot. It worked fine on Samsung model, but sadly mine broke.

This is signed to run from DVD not CD-R. The CD-Rs aren’t loadable on the Toshiba model which is why it would not have worked for you in the past. If you still have a Toshiba burn the image to DVD and give it a whirl!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

WOW - it works!  I burned to a Sony branded DVD+R and it loaded right up in my SD2300.  Please share the details on how you got this to finally work.

Glad to hear it! I'll be compiling some examples and trying to make a DVD multi boot disk and will be releasing the info shortly. Guess I'm not a scammer, huh. ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AltRN8 said:

This is signed to run from DVD not CD-R. The CD-Rs aren’t loadable on the Toshiba model which is why it would not have worked for you in the past. If you still have a Toshiba burn the image to DVD and give it a whirl!

I'll try it, Thanks

• Like 1

Momentous occasion - this makes me want to revisit some of my code I haven't seen in almost 18 years.  Seriously - this is equal to the Jaguar encryption being broken, when Battlesphere was released.  Cool times indeed.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AltRN8 said:

Glad to hear it! I'll be compiling some examples and trying to make a DVD multi boot disk and will be releasing the info shortly. Guess I'm not a scammer, huh. ;)

Great work and looking forward to trying a few games to play on my 2300!  :D

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

NUON demo CD auction

I have one of those, unless there were multiple editions.

• Like 2

I haven't really been active in the thread, but have been itching to play Nuon, especially Merlin Racing (which I recall being fantastic but haven't played in probably 15 years). Merlin was actually my favorite game on the system by a long shot. When the MiSTer's PSX core came out I was instantly reminded of, and started playing, the considerably-less-awesome spinoff games:

• Rascal Racers
  • XS Airboat Racing
  • ATV Racers (probably the most interesting scenery of them)
  • Miracle Space Race

They work fine with MiSTer's widescreen function (and actually seem to prefer the UI stretch that people claimed doesn't happen ;) ). Did I miss any of them (as in is there only four?), and did a more complete version of Merlin Racing ever come home elsewhere?

I mention these PS1 "ports" (and even show some brief ps1 airboat footage) randomly/inappropriately in my below update vid (which should start at 6:27). I should really get the ol' N501 out one of these days, but those controllers are tangled into a 'ball of cables' in a drawer which raises the price of doing that considerably ?

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Has it been posted anywhere?

Maybe not.   I'll see if I can find it and make it available.   A whole lot of pictures in there of the early development Nuon days was the biggest thing I remember.

12 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

I haven't really been active in the thread, but have been itching to play Nuon, especially Merlin Racing (which I recall being fantastic but haven't played in probably 15 years). Merlin was actually my favorite game on the system by a long shot. When the MiSTer's PSX core came out I was instantly reminded of, and started playing, the considerably-less-awesome spinoff games:

• Rascal Racers
  • XS Airboat Racing
  • ATV Racers (probably the most interesting scenery of them)
  • Miracle Space Race

They work fine with MiSTer's widescreen function (and actually seem to prefer the UI stretch that people claimed doesn't happen ;) ). Did I miss any of them (as in is there only four?), and did a more complete version of Merlin Racing ever come home elsewhere?

I mention these PS1 "ports" (and even show some brief ps1 airboat footage) randomly/inappropriately in my below update vid (which should start at 6:27). I should really get the ol' N501 out one of these days, but those controllers are tangled into a 'ball of cables' in a drawer which raises the price of doing that considerably ?

No doubt Merlin Racing was my go to game for long periods of gaming.   If I wanted a quick game, more Ballistic.

That is cool that you played the Rascal Racers games on the PSx.   They struck me as just aspects of Merlin Racing that they had peeled off into various single games.   Like they chopped up Merlin Racing into four parts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the next most important, imho, need for the NUON now which is way to do like the Jaguar does with BJL.  A way to test stuff without having to burn a CD everytime.  I ask this question here but would really appreciate if you guys shared anything about this here

https://www.thehelper.net/threads/we-need-a-way-test-code-without-having-to-burn-a-cdr-or-dvd-every-time.170472/

Thank You!

• Like 2

Alrighty folks, I'm still working on putting together a VM with all of this configured, but thought I would release this to the folks with an old RedHat environment already setup. I've uploaded the .gnupg files and the bless files to archive.org here: https://archive.org/details/tempest_202205
Just uncompress into your user's home directory and you should be able to sign away!
The password you can use to unlock the application signing is:

Thou Shalt Be Free:P-A1S2:EDC0
Let me know if you have any questions or issues.

“Now I will believe that there are unicorns…”
-Sebastian (Act 3, Scene 3)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Songbird said:

Awesome! Is the Control ISO a controller test disc? Is this something you made or did it come from an old VM Labs distribution?

Came with an old distribution. Worked in a limited way for the remote, so it does seem to monitor activity. 

• Like 1

AltRN8 - Bravo to you buddy for making the NUON Authentication Tools work. Get that VM up and all the instructions up and it is all verified and you got yourself a Warrior Controller my friend! You have no idea what you have started with this and thank you so much for taking the time to do it! This allows people to put software for NUON on DVD and publish it for the actual players rather than CDR for only the Samsung model.

You are the man!!!  A new legend of NUON has been born!  This is Battlesphere for the Jag encryption found equivalent for the NUON!

Go NUON!

Edited by The Helper
  • Like 1

The floodgates have been released!  All kind of stuff is going on for NUON now thanks to a lone Atari Warrior who decided to take a few minutes to break the NUON authentication problem.  The legend of AltRN8, EdgeConnector on the NUON forums has started!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 4:03 PM, AltRN8 said:

OK, I did burn it on DVD-R and it boot right up!

Now we need is Doom! I did try Doom on my Samsung (when it worked) and was not 100% satisficed.