IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

9 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

Has anybody checked out this cool overview of the Nuon by the Retro Pals? :)

It gives some fun information from two non-regular Nuon fans of playing a Nuon.

Was a fun watch.   Also they give satire to advertising for a system like 20 years after it's time.  :P

On 3/5/2021 at 9:19 PM, sixersfan105 said:

You'll run in to issues like that, as DVD player lasers weren't meant to last forever. Some people have had success swapping out drives with those from donor systems - I believe the Samsung M101 is one such compatible donor. 

Glad you have a working N-501 - second time's the charm. It's my understanding that DVD+R discs won't work - gotta be DVD-R discs. I personally try to limit my use of DVD-Rs in my Nuon players because I have a working theory that they make the laser work harder and burn out faster, thus requiring a donor disc drive, but your mileage may vary. Only original media for me these days!

Thanks for the advice sixersfan105.  If only some of the original games were cheaper!

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 10:29 PM, KidGameR186496 said:

Has anybody checked out this cool overview of the Nuon by the Retro Pals? :)

You know, watched the video and all and all while they started on a disrespectful note about the Nuon, they really were complimentary on Merlin Racing, Ballistic, Iron Soldier, and Space Invaders.

To matter the fact after watching the video I felt an urge to play those again.

Video even got me curious to play Freefall.  ?

On 1/7/2021 at 7:22 AM, Songbird said:

I just added an "extra manual for IS3" product to the Songbird site. Note that this will be even more limited than the game itself, because most manuals will be shrink-wrapped inside the case. Get it while it lasts!

You know one question I've meant to ask about the latest publication of Iron Solider 3 after watching this video:   Is this run of IS3 is the version where all the bugs were fixed, or is this a copy that was more commonly seen?

On 3/9/2021 at 7:16 PM, Stephen said:

Are you saying the schematics for the polyface chip exist, or just schematics showing how to wire buttons, etc. to the polyface?

I have all the vm labs documentation for the Polyface chip. I passed it on to Lee Olivares to help development of the Yak Twister board. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Songbird said:

I'm working with Lee to see if we can make some headway on a NUON controller option. Stay tuned...

Woah, this is a big development, Carl! Thanks for teaming up with Lee and for continuing to put time, effort and resources into the NUON scene. It's much appreciated! Would this collaborative effort be the long-awaited second run of Lee's Yak Twister boards or a complete controller or both? Super exciting stuff. 

3 hours ago, Songbird said:

I'm working with Lee to see if we can make some headway on a NUON controller option. Stay tuned...

If you are involved with it I have high hopes Songbird!  I know that everything that is needed is out there it just needs someone to put it all together to make it happen and that is you.  Do it!  Go NUON!

Edited by The Helper
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Mentioned above was that decaying orbit is included on the NUON Dome games and demos disc. Does this disc work on Toshiba SD2300 or just the Samsung N50*. If so, how did they deal with the signing? Sadly my N501 died with the 'loading...' hang so I didn't get a chance to play any homebrew. Anyone got piccys or video of decaying orbit in action.

2 hours ago, joeyaage said:

Mentioned above was that decaying orbit is included on the NUON Dome games and demos disc. Does this disc work on Toshiba SD2300 or just the Samsung N50*. If so, how did they deal with the signing? Sadly my N501 died with the 'loading...' hang so I didn't get a chance to play any homebrew. Anyone got piccys or video of decaying orbit in action.

That disc is a CD-ROM which uses the public SDK file system and a fancy boot loader, thus no authentication. Like all other homebrew on CD-Rs, it will only work on Samsung N50x models. More info on Nuon Games + Demos is available here. A video of Decaying Orbit on the PS1 is available here

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe Carl or someone else would be interested in getting the Authentication stuff working and could release the Demos CD for all players.  The tool is out there it is just does not work on current technology but if someone could emulate the environment those tools should work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Brockman said:

Maybe Carl or someone else would be interested in getting the Authentication stuff working and could release the Demos CD for all players.  The tool is out there it is just does not work on current technology but if someone could emulate the environment those tools should work.

It's been a tough nut to crack - lots of us have the Authentication Disc, but have not been able to get the software working.  I am starting to wonder if rather than trying to setup the exact linux environment that their secured laptop was using, if it would be easier to just re-build the tools?  It appears all the source code is there and we have the passphrases to do the md5 hash.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well - as I'm catching up more on this issue, it seems the issue is not getting the tools to run.  Someone has already done that.  The problem is the given passphrase is not generating correctly signed code to run.  One step forward, two steps back.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey there. I’m new around here but I signed up in hopes somebody might be able to help. I recently found a Toshiba SD2300 at my local goodwill and immediately knew I wanted to get my hands on it. The trouble is, I was only sold the unit itself. No games, no controller- not even a standard remote! I’ve successfully found a replacement remote [though not the original version I have seen online] and the cords to hook it up to my tv. It runs perfectly! Definitely going to use this as my dvd player from now on, seeing as my old one makes a really annoying loud buzz the entire time it’s on.

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a good controller and maybe a few games? Tempest 3000 is the one I know for sure I want. I’m not, however, all that interested in going darn near bankrupt in order to do it. Maybe I’ve hopped onto this too late. For the time being- it’s a fantastic DVD player in its own right.

1 minute ago, P0LYB1UZ said:

Hey there. I’m new around here but I signed up in hopes somebody might be able to help. I recently found a Toshiba SD2300 at my local goodwill and immediately knew I wanted to get my hands on it. The trouble is, I was only sold the unit itself. No games, no controller- not even a standard remote! I’ve successfully found a replacement remote [though not the original version I have seen online] and the cords to hook it up to my tv. It runs perfectly! Definitely going to use this as my dvd player from now on, seeing as my old one makes a really annoying loud buzz the entire time it’s on.

Does anybody know where I can get my hands on a good controller and maybe a few games? Tempest 3000 is the one I know for sure I want. I’m not, however, all that interested in going darn near bankrupt in order to do it. Maybe I’ve hopped onto this too late. For the time being- it’s a fantastic DVD player in its own right.

Welcome to the NUON scene! Nice snag of that Toshiba unit from Goodwill. I'm guessing they had no idea it was a "special" DVD player. I would caution against using this player as your main DVD player, at least if you watch a lot of DVDs, as the laser will wear out faster, but to each their own. If you want the original Toshiba remote (which is quite good, btw, and in my opinion has the smoothest control of any of the NUON remotes), there are plenty available on eBay. Here's one option for under $10 including shipping. Your best bet on a controller is to wait until Songbird Productions releases a new NUON controller. Otherwise, you'll be paying several hundred dollars. On the games front, Ballistic is the easiest and cheapest title to acquire, typically in the $20-30 or so range, and it is quite playable with the OEM Toshiba remote. For all other games, you'll pay an arm and a leg. Some people have had success with reproduction/DVD-R burned games on the SD-2300, but others, including me, have had issues (I've actually killed not one but TWO Toshiba units with DVD-Rs), so I'd recommend steering clear unless you're willing to roll the dice. Oh, speaking of Songbird Productions, you can pick up a fully-licensed re-release of Iron Soldier 3 here. Cheers.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

If you want the original Toshiba remote (which is quite good, btw, and in my opinion has the smoothest control of any of the NUON remotes), there are plenty available on eBay. Here's one option for under $10 including shipping. Your best bet on a controller is to wait until Songbird Productions releases a new NUON controller. Otherwise, you'll be paying several hundred dollars.

Thanks for the heads up on Songbird! I’ll have to keep watch on that. I also appreciate you helping find the proper remote. The replacement one i got is compatible but it does not have the little joystick in the middle. I imagine using these like directional buttons might be kind of tricky for gaming.

33 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Some people have had success with reproduction/DVD-R burned games on the SD-2300, but others, including me, have had issues (I've actually killed not one but TWO Toshiba units with DVD-Rs), so I'd recommend steering clear unless you're willing to roll the dice.

Probably a fair warning. I am not confident in my ability to burn a clean copy of a game disc. I’ve burnt a few mixtapes and shows that never saw physical releases in the past, but those aren’t exactly the same sort of data I would expect from a video game.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, P0LYB1UZ said:

The replacement one i got is compatible but it does not have the little joystick in the middle. I imagine using these like directional buttons might be kind of tricky for gaming.

Yes, you'll definitely want the OEM remote intended for that player. The analog stick is quite good for a remote! You can at least play Ballistic that way. Most other games will result in you throwing it across the room out of frustration...still good to have, though, and hopefully it will hold you over until you can get a proper gamepad.

• Like 2