IGNORED

Nuon Game System Talk & Discussion

1 hour ago, P0LYB1UZ said:

What a simple fix! I’m glad it just wasn’t in all the way. My copy of Tempest 3000 arrived today so I gave it a good jostle and tested that one out. Absolutely in love. I’m in love. This is exactly what I wanted a Nuon for

Very glad to hear that did the trick! Tempest 3000 is definitely a blast. Enjoy it!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chris Brockman said:

Just wanted to share this.  I am pretty proud of it as it is super rare, there is only one other of these out there and you might be able to guess who has it :)

nuon-award-jpg.19083

Nuon Community Award?   Would love to hear more about this?   I guess this was being given out the year or two Nuon was active?

8 hours ago, Chris Brockman said:

I know right on one of the most obscure systems in the world!  Freaking Love It!

Yeh that is pretty cool.

• Like 1

The NUON Authentication Tools - I am about ready to just pay for this - how much do you guys think it would cost to get someone to get the Authentication tools working?

I am almost 100 percent sure I can recreate whatever development environment that was used on the current stuff on the Dragonshadow site via a virtual machine. But seriously, Dragonshadow likes NUON it is just way in his past, but some money might make it more attractive to do something. How much would we need though?

NUANCE has stuff going on, there is stuff going on with the controller shortage, but there is nothing going on with the Authentication Tools and this is something we have to work out.

We actually need to work out a whole development cycle to see if we can use a Jaguar Game Drive like device to get passed having to burn a new CD to work on original hardware but the challenges are there.

Authentication Tools though - need to figure out - how much does it cost to figure it out?

• Like 1

Well, I joined the Nuon club, partially. I got a cheap Toshiba SD-2300 without realizing how nerfed the VLM is.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c6818523218-A700-4F49-A250-AC7819A0768C.gif.3656c7acec73c506c2ac77c993a65e7a.gif

Even so it’s pretty amazing, and my old DVD player sucked anyway.

Is there any way to make it more… colorful with just the remote?

Even if new controllers come out, I think all of the games I want to play are out of my price range except for Iron Soldier 3, and I guess this doesn’t play CDRs. Ah well.

• Like 1

I just got a Toshiba SD-2300 from @sixersfan105 works perfectly.

I was able to get all retail games working perfectly on DVD-R using my my 2010 MAC PRO superdrive to burn them with "burn"

They load instantly on my machine with very little motor noise, so I don't believe the DVD player is struggling to read them.  

This will be a good stand-in until I can get some retail copies at a good price.

Now to just get a controller at a good price... 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, eltoozero said:

Oh yea, I like money! How much?

I can see that you have an intimate knowledge of the NUON hardware and likely have an idea of what it would take to get the Authentication Tools in some type of form so that it will work now and into the future.  Could you please PM me a quote of how much it would cost to make that happen?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Killjoyy27 said:

I just got a Toshiba SD-2300 from @sixersfan105 works perfectly.

I was able to get all retail games working perfectly on DVD-R using my my 2010 MAC PRO superdrive to burn them with "burn"

They load instantly on my machine with very little motor noise, so I don't believe the DVD player is struggling to read them.  

This will be a good stand-in until I can get some retail copies at a good price.

Now to just get a controller at a good price... 

Welcome Killjoyy27!    The 2300 is the great one if you want to do repeated plays of the typical six original games.   I play the heck out that one for Tetris, Ballistic, Merlin Racing... especially Merlin Racing.

I pull out the 501s for loading the CDRs from time to time, but really aside from Doom, not much I play there.

Good luck on getting that controller.

17 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Well, I joined the Nuon club, partially. I got a cheap Toshiba SD-2300 without realizing how nerfed the VLM is.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c6818523218-A700-4F49-A250-AC7819A0768C.gif.3656c7acec73c506c2ac77c993a65e7a.gif

Even so it’s pretty amazing, and my old DVD player sucked anyway.

Is there any way to make it more… colorful with just the remote?

Even if new controllers come out, I think all of the games I want to play are out of my price range except for Iron Soldier 3, and I guess this doesn’t play CDRs. Ah well.

The 2300 is the more rugged of the Nuons and the one I play the most often when I do.

Yeh the VLM is nerfed.   Don't know off hand on the adjustments that can be done with the controller.   I remember that was a thing with at least the 2000.   Sometimes I wished I still have my 2000 for the VLM.   Maybe I might have to pick one up.  :D

Wow Iron Soldier 3 is not out of your price range?   How the script has flipped.   Oh well, the disc images for the professional games are on the internet archive, and the 2300 does play DVD-Rs quite well.  :D

On 1/7/2022 at 6:54 PM, K3V said:

Wow, actually quite a while after the Nuon hayday.   Really impressive.   I'm like you, wondering if others were given out?

On 1/6/2022 at 8:52 PM, The Helper said:

Just wanted to share this.  I am pretty proud of it as it is super rare, there is only one other of these out there and you might be able to guess who has it :)

nuon-award-jpg.19083

Did you receive your award in 2007 about the same time as K3V?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Welcome Killjoyy27!    The 2300 is the great one if you want to do repeated plays of the typical six original games.   I play the heck out that one for Tetris, Ballistic, Merlin Racing... especially Merlin Racing.

I pull out the 501s for loading the CDRs from time to time, but really aside from Doom, not much I play there.

Good luck on getting that controller.

The 2300 is the more rugged of the Nuons and the one I play the most often when I do.

Yeh the VLM is nerfed.   Don't know off hand on the adjustments that can be done with the controller.   I remember that was a thing with at least the 2000.   Sometimes I wished I still have my 2000 for the VLM.   Maybe I might have to pick one up.  :D

Wow Iron Soldier 3 is not out of your price range?   How the script has flipped.   Oh well, the disc images for the professional games are on the internet archive, and the 2300 does play DVD-Rs quite well.  :D

Wow, actually quite a while after the Nuon hayday.   Really impressive.   I'm like you, wondering if others were given out?

Did you receive your award in 2007 about the same time as K3V?

Yes, same time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Wow Iron Soldier 3 is not out of your price range?  

The @Songbird reissue isn’t :D 

I am hoping it was enough of a success for Carl to license Freefall or Merlin Racing if not T3K. Freefall is the game not called T3K I wanted to buy a Nuon to play, but I couldn’t even afford one on clearance back then.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

The @Songbird reissue isn’t :D 

I am hoping it was enough of a success for Carl to license Freefall or Merlin Racing if not T3K. Freefall is the game not called T3K I wanted to buy a Nuon to play, but I couldn’t even afford one on clearance back then.

That is one thing I liked about the Nuon.  Of all the games (Ballistic, Tetris, Merlin Racing, Tempest 3000, Space Invader, and Freefall) only Freefall is not a very likeable game... to me at least. 

By the sound of it you need a special controller that has extra buttons and thumbstick to play Freefall?   Is that the Warrior controller?   Apparently according to the review the pack in bat-a-rang controller didn't quite cut it.   As you can guess, never got far on Freefall, but then there are those that like it.

4 hours ago, doctorclu said:

That is one thing I liked about the Nuon.  Of all the games (Ballistic, Tetris, Merlin Racing, Tempest 3000, Space Invader, and Freefall) only Freefall is not a very likeable game... to me at least. 

By the sound of it you need a special controller that has extra buttons and thumbstick to play Freefall?   Is that the Warrior controller?   Apparently according to the review the pack in bat-a-rang controller didn't quite cut it.   As you can guess, never got far on Freefall, but then there are those that like it.

The only NUON controller with analog I believe is the Logitech version - it is defective though as it does not get the full range of analog motion unless you mod the opening on the controller to allow full range.

I did not like Freefall at all - I highly recommend staying clear of that game.  There is really no gameplay in it and the graphics and frame rate are terrible.

1 hour ago, The Helper said:

The only NUON controller with analog I believe is the Logitech version - it is defective though as it does not get the full range of analog motion unless you mod the opening on the controller to allow full range.

Hmmm... I have that controller, AND a dremmel tool.   Freefall might be worth a revisit.

• Like 2