IGNORED

Nelsonic Nintendo Game Watches

Hi,

This might be a dumb question (and I'm hoping it is) but I could use a little help here.

I have both the Zelda and Super Mario Bros Nelsonic Nintendo game watches from 1989 (got them both when I was really little and just recently found them at my parents house). I went out and bought new batteries for them but I can't seem to figure them out. Does anyone know how they work, specifically if it's possible to shut them off without having to take the batteries back out? The game just keeps running in demo mode, I don't have the instructions anymore and I can't find anything online so I don't know what to do if I don't want the battery to just run out in a few days because it always stays on.

Thanks in advance!

From the few bits I recall, Nelsonic used the Nintendo Game&Watch brand and characters in a legit way, so it's likely that they were also copying the "always on for watch mode" Nintendo system, but I might be wrong.

Thanks for your comments CatPix and godslabrat.

I suppose you're right that its just going to stay on "watch mode". Since I don't have the instructions anymore I have just been playing around with it and didn't want the batteries to die off quicker by leaving it on the demo.

Here's a picture of the Super Mario Bros game watch that I have.

post-33767-0-45256700-1467677968_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't worry about battery life...

I have a Zelda Game & Watch and DK3 Micro Vs System. They don't turn off either.

Cheap dollar store LR44s last around 6 months... brand name versions I've had last a year+! They gave a faded image by the last month of life, but at the right angle, still playable!

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about battery life...

I have a Zelda Game & Watch and DK3 Micro Vs System. They don't turn off either.

Cheap dollar store LR44s last around 6 months... brand name versions I've had last a year+! They gave a faded image by the last month of life, but at the right angle, still playable!

Good to know! Thanks for the peace of mind. :)

• 5 years later...

I really miss my Nelsonic game watches! I'm liking the new Nintendo Game & Watch releases as a concept, especially the Zelda Game & Watch. I think it's smart for them to include an original LCD game with those. 

Is there any chance we could see some kind of Game Watch (not Game & Watch) compilation at some point? Either as a Game & Watch  device, or even as digital content on modern consoles? Those old Nelsonic games were very good LCD games, especially the Zelda.

Game Watches and Game & Watch are two distinctly different devices!

Maybe, I mean the last one they retailed was G&W Gallery 4 on the GBA, then had those terrible wastes of card space G&W Collection 1 and 2 for DS you had to club nintendo point rack to get, and they had just 1-2 games only.

And well yeah, one is a game watch, as in a wrist watch with a game, the other is a LCD fat card with a game or more on it, traditionally with segmented LCD, now with true full color LCD.

I know I had posted in an old thread on here before I think that covered something like this, but never seen this post.  Currently aside from the two new ones, I within the year lucked into three of them this year, two locally.  The locals were Parachute off facebook for only $25(steal), and then Mario Cement Factory more recent for like 2/3 of ebay if that, and then on ebay I did find someone undervalued Bombsweeper like 40% off so I grabbed that.  I never had Parachute before but the others I have.  Last year I bumped into again on facebook for the same FB price as parachute, Pinball which is another return and amazing little game.  I've held onto a SMB one for largely 20 years, and strangely locally also came across last year Pinball (used to own this too) which is a lot of fun.  And for game watches, I have Zelda in black with the manual for it too. :D

I like having what I do, but I will not pay the toxic garbage prices you find on ebay in the last couple of years.  I hated when I had to get rid of those I had because in the later 90s into 00 I ran a G&W site online that documented every one with an image or more, description, name, date, etc.  It also covered the watches briefly, and also the Nintendo done keychain releases too (I had some of those too.)  It's a loss, but I used to have probably 20+ G&W handhelds at one point and I'd really love to get some back, but the some are mostly in the $100+ range aggravatingly (Climber, Balloon Fight, Zelda, Gold Cliff) and some some filth are trying to make that much but shouldn't top $50 (DK, DK2, and DK Jr.)  I'd think more about it and make a list of what I had, but it would get depressing as they're fun now grossly over inflated distractions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yurkie said:

Yep, I agree, I once had the Nelsonic Tetris, and it played an amazing game of Tetris for how little it was. I'm pretty sure it was thrown away due to the buttons falling off (from playing it so much).

Shame people attempt to get that kind of scratch out of those, it's ridiculous how far things have fallen.  I've never had it, seen it in action and it's solid for a segmented LCD version of Tetris you can't do much better.  I always wanted the starfox one as I was equally amused by how it played, but also wanted to check out how good the audio was due to the earbuds it came with to plug into the watch.

Don't know if its nelsonic, but I got starfox, also pacman, and that one is nelsonic. I've also got a few of the game and watch SF handhelds. The games all run in perpetual demo mode as they are intended to be watches/clocks.

Their pretty efficient, depending how much you play them, and can run for over a year. Idk how long they run for though.

• Like 1

I'd say your year estimate is pretty fair, perhaps longer, depends how little/much you play the games.  The batteries are tinier circles compared to the game & watch, but they run about as much to empty them so they do scale as much I've noticed.  And as far as I recall the Starfox watch is Nelsonic and after writing that, a fast google popped this up that says so too so probably it is. https://starfox.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Fox_(Game_Watch)

I'm part of a Facebook group for the Nelsonic game watches. The guy was working with another person that had a surplus of them, but the group has been inactive for the most part since COVID. Still rocking my old Zelda watch. I wish I could find my brother's. Some place was looking for those to emulate and preserve the game.

• 2 weeks later...