IGNORED

32k expansion for the side port - released

jedimatt42

Woo Hoooooooooooooooooooo!

1371056290_man_on_locomotive_clears_trac

Now that's a real "tie-fighter"

-M@

You're quick! "The Woo Hooooooooo" was a train whistle sound to go with your 'full steam ahead' comment, hence the photo of the train. The 'TIES' were to 'tie-in' to the Star Wars association with your user name. I thought they all came together nicely.

• Like 2

I have been playing with using USB chargers as power sources. A USB to barrel connector can be found relatively inexpensively.

I tested with this item today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MQO96U/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&psc=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=atariage&linkId=fab95a5009eb820d580f10f2e190c77d

USB to Type M barrel connector, and an extremely cheap AC to USB transformer from the Fred Meyer's check out isle. Your mileage on the cheap transformer part may vary...

-M@

You can use sideport power.

The solution to the problems from last Friday is to actually provide power to the memory chip on the circuit board, instead of it using leakage. AND to use an LS245 to drive data stability.

I have tested all units now powered solely off the sideport, with a flashrom hosting my memory test tool, and my teensy3.2 based USB wireless keyboard adapter.

The test includes the speech synth in the middle of that chain, but I have a modified speech unit that passes power through.

-M@

• Like 2

I don't have issue with the speech synth power mod. Between the minipro, eprom eraser and this...I'll never have an F18A by Christmas.

I was forced to rush and do the speech mod today because I need to get a video done. It's not pretty (old age and going blind), but it works. It's an easy mod though, disassembly & assembly actually take longer than soldering one wire in place. In all it took about 5-6 minutes in total. Be sure to get some alcohol to clean things up a bit, otherwise you may have issues getting the solder to take. Remember to flux before you solder and tin the ends first. (You probably already know this, I only mention it for newbies and lurkers who may be reading this).

sml_gallery_35324_1027_22679.jpg

Once you go F18A, you'll NEVER be able to go back.

I have one coming tomorrow that will be going into the HDMI unit I'm building up.

gallery_35324_1027_8083.jpg

Sadly, it may be Christmas before I get a chance to install it. :_(

• Like 2

So there was a little discussion in the Flashrom 99 thread about the possibility of the external 32K board morphing into an SD based storage device as well a la CF7/nanoPEB. That would obviously be fantastic since the CF devices are no longer available. Pure fantasy or is this a possibility for the future? And while you're at it, add a serial and a parallel port to it!

I hopefully made sideport hardware development less of a barrier for all, as you can make daughter boards in the style of a header pin based 'hat' or 'shield' as they call them in the PI and Arduino space.

But yes, I would like to learn to adapt a teensy 3.5/3.6 to provide USB serial, RS232, and FIAD sd harddrive support.

But... THIS IS NOT A PROMISE. I don't know how to do any of those things. So I could quite easily fail.

I also would need to become proficient in assembly to pull off writing DSRs. I am not at this time.

Before I go down compatibility road, I will work on lighter projects to learn from.

If anybody with the know how wants to beat me to it, PLEASE do.

-M@

• Like 1

Someone at PRGE asked why I didn't use micro-usb for the power jack. The simple answer is, the only supply I can find of those is surface mount. :( So I dismissed it early on. If that situation changes, I may adjust that in a future revision of the board.

-M@

I personally like the coaxial connector you used. Micro-usb connectors that are SMT are a bad idea for something that should have strain relief.

I hopefully made sideport hardware development less of a barrier for all, as you can make daughter boards in the style of a header pin based 'hat' or 'shield' as they call them in the PI and Arduino space.

But yes, I would like to learn to adapt a teensy 3.5/3.6 to provide USB serial, RS232, and FIAD sd harddrive support.

But... THIS IS NOT A PROMISE. I don't know how to do any of those things. So I could quite easily fail.

I also would need to become proficient in assembly to pull off writing DSRs. I am not at this time.

Before I go down compatibility road, I will work on lighter projects to learn from.

If anybody with the know how wants to beat me to it, PLEASE do.

-M@

Is there any chance to use code from CF7+? Someone is maybe in contact with creator of CF7+ or know how software in CF7 works. I'm just thinking loud.