IGNORED

32k expansion for the side port - released

jedimatt42

Mine arrived damaged, probably due to the mail carrier shoehorning the thing into our mailbox. If the little light on the 32k doesn't come on when I plug the power source in, should I even bother setting up the whole computer to see if it works, or assume that it's broken?

Thanks,
Dave O'Connell

P.S. Some of the pins are bent where you'd plug future expansions in, but I didn't plan to, so unless that otherwise affects the performance of the unit, I don't care.

jumpthecup, on 12 Nov 2016 - 11:04 PM, said:

Mine arrived damaged, probably due to the mail carrier shoehorning the thing into our mailbox. If the little light on the 32k doesn't come on when I plug the power source in, should I even bother setting up the whole computer to see if it works, or assume that it's broken?

Thanks,

Dave O'Connell

P.S. Some of the pins are bent where you'd plug future expansions in, but I didn't plan to, so unless that otherwise affects the performance of the unit, I don't care.

The LED only comes on when the 32K is accessed. So you won't know if it's working just by plugging power plug in.

A few bent pins on the expansion connector won't matter as long as they as they're not touching each other (or anything else).

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 1

Thanks for the help. And, arcadeshopper, don't feel bad about the packaging. I think it's pretty cool that anyone even thinks to make these things in 2016. Plus, Priority Mail packages are insured anyway (I think).

Next question: If I don't actually have anything that requires 32k memory -- I just have a bunch of regular TI carts -- will it still light up or do I have to run a program where 32k is a prerequisite? In other words, in the absence of owning anything (yet) that requires 32k, is there a way to tell if the 32k works so that I am suitably inspired to purchase carts/software that DO require it. (If that makes sense.)

Thanks,
Dave O'Connell

Edited by jumpthecup

Yes, I have the Extended Basic cart (though no XB software anymore). I knew about the multi-carts - they've always been the next step after getting the 32k (well, that and maybe getting a backup 32k to go with my backup TI994a). I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks,

Dave O'Connell

Ok with the TI extended basic the easiest way to test is to type CALL INIT and hit enter, it should blink the light once

Greg

First thing I am going to do with mine is replace the LED with a blue one :) Gotta match everything else!

That's why they ship with a red LED :) Matches the flash-rom LED and TI console LED. I'm just teasing... I gave it no thought actually... I had red LEDs so, that's what I used. The 680ohm resistor on the top of the board is the current limiter for the LED. If you feel the need to mess with the brightness.

I'm curious, anyone with a beige console add a power LED to it? ( a bit off topic, but I'll allow it :) )

-M@

Yeah, I know... but I jumped on-board the blue LED train. Actually, about 16 years ago I started replacing my server case LEDs with blue ones. Then about five years later or so servers started coming with blue LEDs. Bah!

I will likely have to work with that limiting resistor. One problem I do find is these blues are often too bright.

Thanks for the help. And, arcadeshopper, don't feel bad about the packaging. I think it's pretty cool that anyone even thinks to make these things in 2016. Plus, Priority Mail packages are insured anyway (I think).

Next question: If I don't actually have anything that requires 32k memory -- I just have a bunch of regular TI carts -- will it still light up or do I have to run a program where 32k is a prerequisite? In other words, in the absence of owning anything (yet) that requires 32k, is there a way to tell if the 32k works so that I am suitably inspired to purchase carts/software that DO require it. (If that makes sense.)

Thanks,

Dave O'Connell

As stuart said, it only lights up when memory on the board is being accessed. If you could, I'd love to see a picture of the damage. It might help us learn how to protect them better in the future.

-M@

• Like 1

Plugged it into the computer, did the CALL INIT/SIZE and got your screen. You are the man! Here's the photo you asked for. Had trouble getting it in focus, but if you look at the leftmost pins where you plug future expansions in, you'll see they've decided to get bent. Also the light was bent, but I had straightened that back out before I saw your post asking about the photo.

Now onto the multicarts! (By the way, are the "out of stock" ones permanently out of stock, or are there plans to replenish them someday?)

Thanks,
Dave O'Connell

Edited by jumpthecup

Any of the multicarts can usually be obtained from me or from Arcadeshopper, although he's the only one with stocks of the necessary 512K boards for some of them right now, as I need to reorder them. I have plenty of the necessary board types for all of the others in stock though (2048K and 1024K games, as well as cartridges requiring the UberGROM).

• Like 1

Ok, the header pins are smushed... the tricky part there is the +5v pin is the most bent... I would find a female header connector, and use it to re-align the pins... I'll see if I can find some protective foam to put over those for future shipments...

Also, the jumper is in the TI position, meaning 'power from console' mode, and there is no speech synth in the way, so the only thing using the power from the jack there is the smooshed +5v header pin... I guess I should work on the web-page and make the power options much more clear!

-M@

• Like 1

Yup will do the foam thing on future shipments. I have updated the store page to state clearly:

YOU DO NOT NEED THE POWER SUPPLY IF YOU ARE PLUGGING DIRECTLY INTO THE CONSOLE If you use an external power supply you must move the power jumper from TI to EXT.

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 2

Matt, have you confirmed whether the Speech Synthesizer can be used on the other side of your 32k card? Since I have three of the expansion port card boards coming, it would save me the bother of modifying the inside of the SS to accommodate power.

Ok, it worked, ( sorry, took some time in Parsec to test it out ) but you have to use the external power supply and jumper setting on the 32k board. ( or figure out that if you bridge all three of the pins at the jumper, the TI power will flow out to the expansion headers... )

It yields a precarious situation. I don't recommend it. The speech synthesizer is heavy by comparison and now out on a limb. If you pick the console up, there is not enough structure to support the assembly.

In the normal, advertised configuration... the speech synthesizer connection to the console is Texas Instruments robust, and requires no support when lifting the TI console. It easily supports the 32k board physically as well.

-M@

Ok, it worked, ( sorry, took some time in Parsec to test it out ) but you have to use the external power supply and jumper setting on the 32k board. ( or figure out that if you bridge all three of the pins at the jumper, the TI power will flow out to the expansion headers... )

Ah, yes... the power from the expansion is only offered if using an external power supply. Well, darn.

Worth a shot (unsupported/not recommended aside) for my purposes. In any case, I have an idea to use the expansion port for a project. Need to do some drawing and crunch some numbers. Already ordered the centerpiece parts. I read in here before about a free board layout program, with limitations of size of the board (something like 2" x 2",) anyone know what that is?