IGNORED

32k expansion for the side port - released

jedimatt42

It's ok since I didn't expect this one to show up, I have ordered another one last week.

Judging from the photo, the pins aren't touching anything so it should work fine assuming no other damages.

If you're careful, you can unbend the pins without breaking them. Something like a credit card for what I see in

the photo should work fine, you can probably bend them all in one motion using the unbent pins as a stop for the CC.

Also, congrats on a spare unit. I would try the ""it got lost in the mail" trick with my spouse but every time I have so far, the seller granted a refund because it was discovered the item really was lost each time (ebay purchases).

• Like 1

Judging from the photo, the pins aren't touching anything so it should work fine assuming no other damages.

If you're careful, you can unbend the pins without breaking them. Something like a credit card for what I see in

the photo should work fine, you can probably bend them all in one motion using the unbent pins as a stop for the CC.

Also, congrats on a spare unit. I would try the ""it got lost in the mail" trick with my spouse but every time I have so far, the seller granted a refund because it was discovered the item really was lost each time (ebay purchases).

no problem there since I'm happily divorced for the last 15 years ;)

• Like 2

First thing I am going to do with mine is replace the LED with a blue one icon_smile.gif Gotta match everything else!

Was not the first thing I did, but pretty close. I did a white one on the second unit. Thinking I should have clipped the leads a little shorter to get closer to the board.

Blue LED on jedimatt42's 32k expansion

• Like 4

Was not the first thing I did, but pretty close. I did a white one on the second unit. Thinking I should have clipped the leads a little shorter to get closer to the board.

I make them all sticking out like that, so they can be bent forward to peak out a whole if someone were to come up with a case for them that isn't transparent plastics... :)

-M@

a little army of boards:

post-42954-0-82683200-1480917546_thumb.jpg

I've assembled 65 in total going back to late October. The spool of solder I bought back in August 2015 is down to the last layer. I remember thinking when I bought it, that it would last me nearly forever. My previous spool had lasted 20 years.

-M@

• Like 9

I make them all sticking out like that, so they can be bent forward to peak out a whole if someone were to come up with a case for them that isn't transparent plastics... icon_smile.gif

-M@

Oh, yeah, I get your purpose for the "taller" LED, but it is likely I will never encase mine (or my FR99, for that matter,) so for me a shorter one works just as well. It also just occurred to me that I may have to take both the LED and possible enclosures into account for add-on expansions.

I'm in the middle of my third one-pound roll of solder, Matt. It goes away quickly when you build a lot of boards. Congratulations on the little army there too--I'm glad your board is popular enough for you to need to build that many at once! :) :) :) I'll need to buy one soon as well, as there are enough of them out there now for me to add one to my reference set of boards to use in testing. . .

• Like 5

About the side port on the Matt's 32K device...

There are ALWAYS alternatives to using existing hardware and software to perform other tasks, many of which probably have not been considered yet. For instance, who say's a simple command to activate a disk drive has to do just that? Such a command could be "re-tasked" in a special program to do something else, say activate or switch device(s) on an off. We've already seen what one can do with the simple cassette port... with all the pins on the 32K port, could this too be re-tasked for some real cool stuff?

I can imagine some pretty cool specialty programs on a FlashROM 99 paired with the 32K's side-port that could do some amazing stuff.

What would you do with a spare TI dedicated to a specific task?

Dear jedimatt42, hello all other folks :),

Here in the TI 99 4a-forums I am a very passive member. But I have to tell you all following: Seeing what you are all doing and realizing, experiencing your thoroughly and deep knowledge of soft- and hardware lets me become smaller and smaller :dunce:, so I have to hold you all in high esteem :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.

Now, my special question to you, jedimatt42: Please, would you be so nice to outline the reasons for developing this 32k expansion for the sideport? Does your solution have any further advantages in comparison with the already existing solution CF7+?

Best Regards,

Edited by MueThor
  • Like 1

Dear jedimatt42, hello all other folks :),

Here in the TI 99 4a-forums I am a very passive member. But I have to tell you all following: Seeing what you are all doing and realizing, experiencing your thoroughly and deep knowledge of soft- and hardware lets me become smaller and smaller :dunce:, so I have to hold you all in high esteem :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:.

Now, my special question to you, jedimatt42: Please, would you be so nice to outline the reasons for developing this 32k expansion for the sideport? Does your solution have any further advantages in comparison with the already existing solution CF7+?

Best Regards,

Why did I make this board:

Reason #1: The CF7+/Nanopeb's no longer existed during the time in which I started and completed the project and design. If they were available, I wouldn't have started the project.

Reason #2: We started making flashrom99 images that required 32k memory expansion. A lot of them.

Reason #3: I wanted to learn how to do it!

Reason #4: The internal 32k modification was uninteresting or outside the skill set of people.

Reason #5: I haven't done this yet, but I do intend to make the pcboard design for the 32k board completely open and available to all. It is all thru-hole design, that most home hobbyists should be able to perform.

The only advantage is vaporware. It is an extensible board. The headers on the board replicate the TI sideport edge connector, so that a developer can use simple header extensions to attach to it, like is done in the Raspberry PI 'hat' devices, or Arduino 'shields' This is appealing to me, as I'd like to learn to build more hardware for the TI. I have goals, that this will be easier to develop on even though I really LOVE, and want to target cards for the PEB. ( I personally love the TI PEB, when I close my eyes and think TI, that is what I see )

So, I've succeeded big time at #3. With lots of help from this forum. I've filled a requirement we created in #2. Provided an alternative to #4, and will do #5 no later than December 2017.

As of right now, my 32k card is just memory expansion, and cheaper than the CF7+, so if you just want to play games off the FlashRom99, or the multi-carts, it is a perfect fit. If you want to develop hardware, it may be a good fit.

If you want to do more... save TOD games to something other than tape, or play with the fbforth, or get online with some of those new software offerings, then the CF7+/Nanopeb may be right for you.

-M@

• Like 5

Hello jedimatt42,

Reason #1: The CF7+/Nanopeb's no longer existed during the time in which I started and completed the project and design.

Ooops, didn't know that. Sorry, hopefully you haven't felt my statement(s) insulting. Well, lucky me having been fast enough to buy CF7+ and NanoPEB :evil: :-D.

IMNSHO, Matt's 32k cards offers a few things over the nanoPEB/CF7+. It is a little more portable, offers the expansion pass-through port, powers up as quickly as the console does when both receive power simultaneously, and you do not pay more for what you will not use.

If you just want a console which will run cartridges which require 32k (Rasmus' games, Extended BASIC Suite 2.7, certain FR99 images, etc.) and do not need disk drive emulation and serial/parallel port then BAM! Here ya go.

• Like 4

Whether it's a full blown P-Box, a NanoPEB, CF7 or PNP32K, it's really great to have so many options available to suit all our individual needs, wants or budgets.

For me personally, the potential for expansion with Matt's 32K device really turns me on, where the NanoPEB locks one into stagnation without even being 100% compatible. No one can tell the future concerning all the potential add-on devices for Matt's 32K device, but in the mean time, being paired up with the FlashROM 99 is awesome in itself.

• Like 2

Dear --- Ω ---,

..., where the NanoPEB locks one into stagnation without even being 100% compatible.

Sure that it is the NanoPEB and not the CF7+, which is not 100% compatible with the TI hardware? If so, then please tell me, in which cases do you encounter problems?

Regards