IGNORED

32k expansion for the side port - released

jedimatt42

Dear --- Ω ---,

You never reacted to following:

..., where the NanoPEB locks one into stagnation without even being 100% compatible.

Sure that it is the NanoPEB and not the CF7+, which is not 100% compatible with the TI hardware? If so, then please tell me, in which cases do you encounter problems?

Regards

Edited by MueThor

Dear --- Ω ---,

You never reacted to following:

Sure that it is the NanoPEB and not the CF7+, which is not 100% compatible with the TI hardware? If so, then please tell me, in which cases do you encounter problems?

Regards

Sorry for missing your post...

The NanoPEB (not CF7 as it has no RS-232) does not work with legacy software like Telco or other communications programs. I've not kept up-to-date on that aspect, but I believe InsaneMultitasker may have remedied that limitation with his TIMXT. The NanoPEB does however work with Stuart's Internet browser, so that is a good thing.

Another problem I've experienced (on my second unit) was the intermittent corruption of data on the CF card when writing to it from the TI or copying data from one emulated disk to another. Some units are flaky.

The thing I do not like about the current design is that it locks you into an unexpandable situation. Maybe the new rumored design will correct that, I don't know.

Some people have had success with it, and others like it, but to be honest, I'm personally not a fan, so it sits on a shelf unused.

• 2 months later...

Question about the expansion header: is it supposed to passthru 5v power on pin1 from the TI expansion port or from the barrel connector? I have no speech synth to block it. What I'm seeing is the header pin1 power only comes from the barrel connector, regardless of the jumper selection. I suppose I can cut the trace and solder a wire to the TI power.

Edit: Nevermind, I suspect this is intentional to avoid damaging the console. Mainbyte ti99_tech.pdf says as much in a note about pins 1 and 43.

Edited by PeteE

Question about the expansion header: is it supposed to passthru 5v power on pin1 from the TI expansion port or from the barrel connector? I have no speech synth to block it. What I'm seeing is the header pin1 power only comes from the barrel connector, regardless of the jumper selection. I suppose I can cut the trace and solder a wire to the TI power.

Edit: Nevermind, I suspect this is intentional to avoid damaging the console. Mainbyte ti99_tech.pdf says as much in a note about pins 1 and 43.

Yep.

You could also just bridge all the bins on the selector jumper header. That would connect the +5v thru. But, I isolated them on purpose, thinking that if we power more off the side, we should use the barrel connector.

-M@

• 2 months later...

Dear jedimatt42,

Where have you bought the female edge connector and pins that can be seen in your video (I would like to buy only them on their own for other projects)?

Regards

Edited by MueThor

Dear jedimatt42,

Where have you bought the female edge connector and pins that can be seen in your video (I would like to buy only them on their own for other projects)?

Regards

They are links in the "Bill of Materials" section on the project page:

http://ti994a.cwfk.net/32k.html

-M@

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

People have asked me if they can build these 32k boards and sell them. The answer is yes. I have updated post #1 to try and make the public domain nature of this more clear.

Reviewing my website, I need to add this detail there on the project page. This was the intent from day 1.

-M@

• Like 1

The 32k is a prerequisite for TIPI due to power right?

Yes, the sideport version of TIPI requires my 32k sideport card as a base for the entire header style expansion port instead of edge connector expansion port.

Unless of course someone else does something else with my designs.

-M@

• 3 months later...

It the sideport does indeed provide enough juice to run the speech & my 32k board. At least empirically. I don't want to sever a connection so I can measure the load of the speech + 32k.. But the "parsec from FlashRom99" test worked well... speech and running the game out of the 32k ran without a hickup.

Here is a picture of what I did to the speech synth, and then I ran my board with the jumper set to 'TI'

Modified speech synthesizer (blue jumper wire across pin #1):

attachicon.gifspeechsynthpower.png

Anyway, since Stuart suggested I should be able to run with such lower current so many posts back, this has been a target. Oh, and to be clear, the boards that went to print have this option built in already. :)

-M@

I did the same thing, but I am getting weird behavior. Just the 32K plugged in works fine, and just the synth plugged into my PEB works fine. But if I go Synth->32K I get memory check errors. Not sure what is wrong.

I did the same thing, but I am getting weird behavior. Just the 32K plugged in works fine, and just the synth plugged into my PEB works fine. But if I go Synth->32K I get memory check errors. Not sure what is wrong.

This TI stuff is old. In recent TIPI testing, we found a speech synth that caused trouble, a cleaner one worked fine.. When you put your speech in the PEB there are buffers in the flex cable that enhance and recondition the signalling. When you put the speech between the 4A and the 32k, there are no such buffers. Usually that's fine, but the pass through on the speech has to be in good shape. There are 30 some signals used that could go wrong.

I would start by cleaning the edge connector contacts on the 4A, speech edge socket, and speech edge connector.

But, why if you have a PEB are you playing with a sideport 32k? That doesn't make any sense to me.

-M@

This TI stuff is old. In recent TIPI testing, we found a speech synth that caused trouble, a cleaner one worked fine.. When you put your speech in the PEB there are buffers in the flex cable that enhance and recondition the signalling. When you put the speech between the 4A and the 32k, there are no such buffers. Usually that's fine, but the pass through on the speech has to be in good shape. There are 30 some signals used that could go wrong.

I would start by cleaning the edge connector contacts on the 4A, speech edge socket, and speech edge connector.

But, why if you have a PEB are you playing with a sideport 32k? That doesn't make any sense to me.

-M@

-M@

I have it for deskspace, and I thought side-port 32k was the future. I ended up doing some extra cleaning on the contacts with a pencil eraser and all is well. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

People have asked me if they can build these 32k boards and sell them. The answer is yes. I have updated post #1 to try and make the public domain nature of this more clear.

Reviewing my website, I need to add this detail there on the project page. This was the intent from day 1.

-M@

@Matt -

Once you get the TI PI boards finalized, will you like others to help out with building/distribution with them as well?

@Matt -

Once you get the TI PI boards finalized, will you like others to help out with building/distribution with them as well?

The design files are up there and public. But I'd like folks to keep in mind, that I'm $835 upside down on TIPI right now. And I haven't prototyped the PEB board yet. So more expenses ahead.

But yes, I will wish for some scenario that doesn't require this to be the only thing I ever do again, as soon as I am right-sided.

-M@

• Like 2

The design files are up there and public. But I'd like folks to keep in mind, that I'm $835 upside down on TIPI right now. And I haven't prototyped the PEB board yet. So more expenses ahead.

But yes, I will wish for some scenario that doesn't require this to be the only thing I ever do again, as soon as I am right-sided.

-M@

That’s what I wanted to know; thanks for letting us know it too. I remember the days of putting the money upfront and hoping I’d get it back, so I completely understand. Let us know when you’re comfortable with others helping out.