IGNORED

32k expansion for the side port - released

jedimatt42

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

https://github.com/jedimatt42/ti994a-32kmemtest/releases/tag/v1.4

I've updated this testing tool to cover Foundation 128K - 512K, Myarc 128K - 512K, and SAMS boards.   It is still just an 8K ROM. 

-M@

Oops, Greg found a bug... cause I didn't retest SAMS after implementing Foundation, and they both use some of the same crubits to bank switch.  Testing a fix now...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Matt and everyone!

I just did a homemade version of this 32k ram expansion based on Matt's design. (I basically just removed the LED)

I tried it with and without external power and am having the same issue, which is that it works fine for the memory test but fails when loading a game from cassette. I tried some 32k games dumped from cartridge. I'm using the cass24k2 program.

I derived the external power from the video port using a simple 7805 regulator.

So far, I'm still usinf 74LS chips instead of the HCT version.

I can also connect the Speech synth on the right side and it works fine.

Games from cassette work fine using the PEB with the 32k inside.

Please refer to pictures to get an idea of what I did.

Any idea?

Happy holidays and Thank you!

Pitou!

20191224_110408.jpg

20191224_110418.jpg

20191224_110456.jpg

20191224_110746.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Matt and everyone!

I just did a homemade version of this 32k ram expansion based on Matt's design. (I basically just removed the LED)

I tried it with and without external power and am having the same issue, which is that it works fine for the memory test but fails when loading a game from cassette. I tried some 32k games dumped from cartridge. I'm using the cass24k2 program.

I derived the external power from the video port using a simple 7805 regulator.
So far, I'm still usinf 74LS chips instead of the HCT version.

I can also connect the Speech synth on the right side and it works fine.

Games from cassette work fine using the PEB with the 32k inside.

Please refer to pictures to get an idea of what I did.

Any idea?

Happy holidays and Thank you!

Pitou!
20191224_110408.thumb.jpg.586f92f08905b9cc0b0c0aed074b653b.jpg
20191224_110418.thumb.jpg.32d75cff1514f61c5752ddf0aec684cf.jpg
20191224_110456.thumb.jpg.e800c24fda4bd0f47b140f68c44f9f85.jpg
20191224_110746.thumb.jpg.3f32a2ee02f39b26a2b39b5a39971c4f.jpg
Are you running Matt's memory test or another one?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yes, Matt's memory test. You can see it if you look at the 2nd picture.

I get all sorts of bug/instability when trying to run a program loaded from cassette.

Sometimes it can run then fails a bit later. Sometimes it freezes, other time I get garbled characters when doing a LIST and errors when doing RUN obviously.

Thanks!

Pitou!

21 hours ago, Pitou said:

Yes, Matt's memory test. You can see it if you look at the 2nd picture.

I get all sorts of bug/instability when trying to run a program loaded from cassette.

Sometimes it can run then fails a bit later. Sometimes it freezes, other time I get garbled characters when doing a LIST and errors when doing RUN obviously.

Thanks!

Pitou!

TI BASIC will often load a TI Extended Basic program, but since TI BASIC doesn't understand many of the extended byte code, it lists as garbled characters, and often only crashes somewhere in the run.  Are the programs you are loading from cassette meant for the version of basic that you are using to load them? 

-M@

• Like 1

I understand what you mean and yes, I did all tests with the right TI standard/extended Basic cartridge.

I also tried both on some games just to make sure.

Just as a simple test, can someone try let's say "Jungle Hunt" from the "favorite ti programs" here...

Look for Post #3 for the cass24k2 games explanation.

In the meantime, I will also do some more test on my side.

Also, it works fine in the classic99 and v9t9 emulators.

I'm pretty sure the ram exp. is good, just a matter of finding what's going on. :)

Thanks for your support Matt!

Pitou!

Edited by Pitou

Hello,

I did a lot of tests and it works 100% when using cartridge games (or Flashrom99 using rom file requiring 32k).

However with BASIC it's very unstable

I'm gonna build the buffered version based on this http://www.nouspikel.com/ti99/titechpages.htm

as mentioned in Matt's first post and try again.

I'm open to all suggestions and/or tests if someone has any.

Thank you.

Pitou!

Edited by Pitou

36 minutes ago, Pitou said:

Hello,

I did a lot of tests and it works 100% when using cartridge games (or Flashrom99 using rom file requiring 32k).

However with BASIC it's very unstable

I'm gonna build the buffered version based on this http://www.nouspikel.com/ti99/titechpages.htm

as mentioned in Matt's first post and try again.

I'm open to all suggestions and/or tests if someone has any.

Thank you.

Pitou!

Try a couple of different RAM chips. Two that I find work OK are an Hitachi HM62256BLP-7 and a Cypress CY62256LL-70PXC. Have seen problems with Alliance RAM, which is what I think you're using.

Well, @Stuart, thanks very very much. The Alliance chip was the issue.

I replaced it with another bigger 128k x8 Alliance chip and all is fine now. I did a small socket adaptor to keep high address lines high.

I tried some other Alliance 32k x8 that I have and it's the same issue. Same batch maybe.

I will order some Cypress.

Thanks again!

Pitou!

20200103_185447.jpg

20200103_185456.jpg

Edited by Pitou
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Looks like I'm going to need one of these expansion ports. I assumed my Q*Bert cart was faulty as wouldn't get further than the player select screen, only just discovered it requires the expansion. Have Frogger on the way too and I think that also requires it.

The funny thing is I had those games on my original system as a kid, I guess we must have had the official expansion add-on which I certainly didn't remember but definitely played those games to death on the 99.

Very long shot as I don't think there are many members here from my neck of the woods, but does anyone know of any sellers within the UK? Also seeing as unlike most on here I have zero soldering experience, do they all have the option of using a USB cable as the power source or is that only fitted by certain makers? I do use the Speech Synth and would prefer not to have to open that up and risk damaging it trying to route the power from it.

Thanks all from your resident noobie.

Edited by Tetlee

Of the four Parker Brothers cartridges, none of them require the memory expansion. The only weird thing about them is that they usually reverse the numbering on the joysticks (Joystick 1 is now Joystick 2 and Joystick 2 is now Joystick 1). Note I said four, not three cartridges--we have the files to build the fourth release (one that PB never officially released): Tutankham. If built on an UberGROM board, it works exactly like a normal Parker Brothers cartridge (and I even used a Q*Bert case to hold mine so that it would match the PB case style).

Try the other joystick to see if that will start the game. . .

One other question: are you trying to use the original cartridges or one of the multicarts? The original cartridges won't need the memory expansion--so your childhood memories were not wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ksarul said:

Of the four Parker Brothers cartridges, none of them require the memory expansion. The only weird thing about them is that they usually reverse the numbering on the joysticks (Joystick 1 is now Joystick 2 and Joystick 2 is now Joystick 1). Note I said four, not three cartridges--we have the files to build the fourth release (one that PB never officially released): Tutankham. If built on an UberGROM board, it works exactly like a normal Parker Brothers cartridge (and I even used a Q*Bert case to hold mine so that it would match the PB case style).

Try the other joystick to see if that will start the game. . .

One other question: are you trying to use the original cartridges or one of the multicarts? The original cartridges won't need the memory expansion--so your childhood memories were not wrong.

Ah I got the wrong end of the stick it seems(hehe pun intended). I watched a video where the guy was loading the roms and seem d to suggest the Parker Bros games required the 32k. Glad I'm not going crazy as I did think it odd for me not to remember that ungainly looking add-on.

Yes I'm using the original cart. It may have a fault of course by I'll try a change the joysticks over later just incase.

Thank you for your help. I will still look into the 32k expansion as I plan to get a finalgrom at some point but less hurry now.

3 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

It doesn't work correctly on FinalGrom99

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Damn, how does it work then? If it's an unofficial cart release then I'm a bit screwed here in the UK as postage for any of these recent releases is a killer to here, especially when you have import tax and po fees to add.

UberGROM boards are great when you want to make a permanent copy of a cartridge, as it operates exactly as the original cartridge did--with all of the same limitations and hardware requirements. The FinalGROM has a somewhat different use case, as it allows you to load files on the fly and it works like the cartridge you loaded (most of the time). There are a few exceptions, and Tutankham is one of them. The UberGROM board is small, and even fully built into a cartridge it is not too expensive (under $50). The postage to Great Britain isn't too terrible either, but the combination isn't cheap when compared to the other three carts though.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ksarul said:

UberGROM boards are great when you want to make a permanent copy of a cartridge, as it operates exactly as the original cartridge did--with all of the same limitations and hardware requirements. The FinalGROM has a somewhat different use case, as it allows you to load files on the fly and it works like the cartridge you loaded (most of the time). There are a few exceptions, and Tutankham is one of them. The UberGROM board is small, and even fully built into a cartridge it is not too expensive (under $50). The postage to Great Britain isn't too terrible either, but the combination isn't cheap when compared to the other three carts though.

It is a shame about the postage, looked it up last night and the postage/handling alone is over $60, so looking at over $100 delivered and then there's the lovely import tax and PO fees to pay so would probably be not far off £100 UK pounds all in. 

I'll have to make do watching youtube vids of that one?

Game sure does look great, love discovering this stuff after all these years. Pretty incredible.

It is a shame about the postage, looked it up last night and the postage/handling alone is over $60, so looking at over $100 delivered and then there's the lovely import tax and PO fees to pay so would probably be not far off £100 UK pounds all in. 

I'll have to make do watching youtube vids of that one[emoji1786]

Game sure does look great, love discovering this stuff after all these years. Pretty incredible.
Actually first class mail is like 15-18$

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1