IGNORED

ICD MIO and Acard AEC-7720u with 3.75 Firmware

Another thing I notice from the picture is that MIO is a very early build. It has none of the "fixes" that ICD installed on the newer units. You typically had to fine tune the atari and MIO as a unit to get stable operation out of those, unless you were just extremely lucky.

Have you tried a different atari yet? (preferrably a bone-stock one)

What your describing sounds like a classic PHI2-to-bus timing skew related issue.

Right. Same results with my fall-back stock machines, MG.

Another thing I notice from the picture is that MIO is a very early build. It has none of the "fixes" that ICD installed on the newer units. You typically had to fine tune the atari and MIO as a unit to get stable operation out of those, unless you were just extremely lucky.

Well, wouldn't that just be my luck, then. Sigh.

--Tim

• 3 weeks later...

The acard doesnt need any instructions. everything is marked on the pcb.

SCSI ID 0 is fine.. IDE drive has to be jumpered as single/master.. On the acard, you want both termination and terminator power on.

As far as the MIO config, you are setting PARTITIONS.. Not drives.. so these are absoloute sector numbers.. eg. 1 - 65536, 65537 - 131073, etc. The most you can do per partition is 65536 sectors.. If that's SDX DD512 then its a 32meg partition. any other DOS, its a 16meg partition (256 byte sectors)..

Once youve configged the MIO and saved the config to the hardisk, just boot the DOS (from floppy or other SIO connected means) and format the configged drives using normal DOS format routines.. With modern LBA drives, you dont ever want to do a "low level format" so you can shitcan all the "MIO format programs".. None of that old crap applies anymore with the newer firmware.. In the SDX format program, you simply use "build directory structure"..

If you want to make the drive bootable, use the appropriate dos command to write dos to it.. Its really that simple..

OK so in the spirit of this thread I decided to give a CF card a go on my MIO. I'll start by saying I've got a 1.1 256k MIO, and an 800XL with a U1MB in it.

I've tried setting up the drive per MG's instructions using both a known working ACARD + CF adapter as well as a SCSI2SDv5 card, and get similar results. I'm unable to "Save config" in the MIO menu (fails with unit 0,0 failed) and the drive isn't visible in SDX.

The SDX format utility doesn't actually allow me to select whichever drive I have it configured on back in the MIO, so it does seem like the MIO and SDX are communicating.

In the MIO I'm configuring 1 partition/drive with type HARD, cyl 0, heads 0, start 1, end 65536. The MIO reposrts a drive size of 16383k as D8.

I've sent a PM to MG about getting the updated firmware - wondering if there's anything else I can try.

post-12252-0-61855300-1469435564_thumb.jpg

Edited by tuf
  • Like 1

How standards-compliant is the MIO SCSI implementation? I've managed to get newer Ultra160 and Ultra320 SCSI drives to work with some really antiquated hardware with nothing more than an SCA->50-pin adapter. When I say ancient I'm talking like DEC VAX and MicroVAX w/ QBUS or onboard NCR 5380-based controllers.

Are these SD and IDE adapters just really non-standard or is the MIO just non-standard?

Can an MIO support a full SCSI chain with multiple devices?

The MIO is non-standard, period.

The MIO SCSI hardware implementation is very minimal and is from a time when SASI/SCSI-1 was the dominant standard and even with its quirks the 5380 is much better. Device compatibility depends on if the vendor chooses to honor the ancient SCSI-1 selection schemes to access the drive. This, in my opinion is a huge shortcoming as the interface cannot support the SCSI-2 and higher arbitration sequence (this requires the ability to assert both the SEL- and BSY- signals, whereas the MIO can only assert SEL-), leaving only the SCSI-1 selection sequence without arbitration possible (in SCSI-1, arbitration is optional but required in SCSI-2 and higher). Most modern SCSI devices support this mode (as well as many SCSI/IDE bridges), but again it can be hit or miss. You can have multiple devices, but you can't have multiple initiators.

The other shortcomings in the original ICD firmware is it is hard-coded to deal with 256-byte data phases and it uses the old 21-bit CDBs to read/write sectors. I modified the firmware to work with variable sizes to use 32-bit CDBs, allow newer 512-byte or larger blocksizes to work, and modified the selection sequence a bit to include the initiator ID on the bus instead of single-initiator as was done initially. While some of this I attempted to address in software, you still have to keep in mind you're missing the bi-directional BSY-, parity, the databus is logic true (instead of SCSI standard which is logic false), and you're missing ATN- that would normally be on a fully-implemented interface. The statements that the MIO writes data to the drive inverted can be misleading depending on how you look at it. From a digital logic point of view, it is writing data to the drive exactly as presented as logic true. From a standards point of view, this data is supposed to be logic false and not doing this saved adding additional logic on the board. It can of course, be done in software (and it is, when sending CDBs, just not in the data phase) at the cost of performance.

• Like 2

The MIO is non-standard, period.

The MIO SCSI hardware implementation is very minimal and is from a time when SASI/SCSI-1 was the dominant standard and even with its quirks the 5380 is much better. Device compatibility depends on if the vendor chooses to honor the ancient SCSI-1 selection schemes to access the drive. This, in my opinion is a huge shortcoming as the interface cannot support the SCSI-2 and higher arbitration sequence (this requires the ability to assert both the SEL- and BSY- signals, whereas the MIO can only assert SEL-), leaving only the SCSI-1 selection sequence without arbitration possible (in SCSI-1, arbitration is optional but required in SCSI-2 and higher). Most modern SCSI devices support this mode (as well as many SCSI/IDE bridges), but again it can be hit or miss.

Yeah that sounds pretty rough. I have a pile of old SCSI drives but since I have an 850 and a RAM upgrade already it probably makes more sense to stick with IDEPlus and dual-CF adapter. MIO devices seem to go for ridiculous sums when I see one for sale. They are neat though.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I've tried this with every imaginable combo of Acard setting and CF cards, CF card adapters - you name it. Has anyone successfully got an MIO working with an Acard 7720U and a Sandisk Ultra 8GB (or similar)?

Symptom here is the format utility in SDX instantly says disk does not respond when selecting the MIO assigned disk. I am trying to provision a single 16mb partition on the MIO, filling in nothing but the sector range.

I've seen reports here of modern drives working... I don't have the latest ROM version in the MIO so that may be the culprit, but if anyone has a bit more insight I'd be happy to hear it.

I've seen reports here of modern drives working... I don't have the latest ROM version in the MIO so that may be the culprit, but if anyone has a bit more insight I'd be happy to hear it.

The original ICD firmware is hardcoded for a 256-byte data phase so it will *not* work with any devices where the native block size is larger and may fail to select devices that are expecting the initiator ID on the bus with the device ID as explained a few posts above this one. In other words, your chances of success are zero without updated firmware.

You really need to go back and read the threads mentioned in post #8. Much will be explained, including more than just the firmware. Check the sections on termination. I've been using my original-type MIO with the Acard for years. (Off and on). It really works, assuming that you have a good Acard, cable, etc. (and the odds are excellent that you do).

-Larry

You really need to go back and read the threads mentioned in post #8. Much will be explained, including more than just the firmware. Check the sections on termination. I've been using my original-type MIO with the Acard for years. (Off and on). It really works, assuming that you have a good Acard, cable, etc. (and the odds are excellent that you do).

-Larry

Thanks Larry - I read everything there was to read :) My next step is burning an eprom with the latest firmware and seeing if that does the trick.

Just waiting on the new burner from Dropcheck to show up. Burning an MIO rom using an 8 bit seems proper.

Edited by tuf

With the new firmware, Acard works 100%.. If it doesnt, then you 95% likely have a PHI2 issue with your Atari/MIO combo..

Latest firmware:

http://www.rasterline.com/miov141.zip

Burn it on an EPROM and stick it in your MIO..

This totally worked 100%. Acard worked on the first try!

Let it be known to all that you cannot use MIO v1.1 with the Acard. With 1.4.2 I've successfully tested an Acard, IOData, and SCSI2SDv5.

post-12252-0-94350500-1471599606_thumb.jpg

Edited by tuf

With the new firmware, Acard works 100%.. If it doesnt, then you 95% likely have a PHI2 issue with your Atari/MIO combo..

Latest firmware:

http://www.rasterline.com/miov141.zip

Burn it on an EPROM and stick it in your MIO..

MEtalGuy66, the project where you were installing memory into my Atari 800XL has been cancelled. Please respond to my inquiries in private.

I've been writing you now for weeks without response.

Everything OK with you? The last message I've received from you was on July 22nd. According to AtariAge, you last read a message from me on July 25th, even while you posted this message on August 11th.

You've got me very concerned. We weren't feuding, nothing has gone wrong of that I know about...what could possibly be the issue?

MEtalGuy66, the project where you were installing memory into my Atari 800XL has been cancelled. Please respond to my inquiries in private.

I've been writing you now for weeks without response.

Everything OK with you? The last message I've received from you was on July 22nd. According to AtariAge, you last read a message from me on July 25th, even while you posted this message on August 11th.

You've got me very concerned. We weren't feuding, nothing has gone wrong of that I know about...what could possibly be the issue?

Hmmm.. Could it be.. I dunno....

SATAN???!???

I responded to your PM. i will pack your stuff up tonight and ship it back to you asap.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...